HELP!! guitar = carry-on? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

HELP!! guitar = carry-on?

ok, im getting on a plane in about 24 hours, going from atlanta to buffalo. i want to bring my rg (in a gig bag) with me as a carry-on. i remember reading on this site a while ago that guitars are now allowed as a carry on. but, i called the airline(delta) to double check, and they are telling me its too big of an item; i could buy a seat for the guitar if i want...........hell no.
what can i do?!?! i need to take this guitar with me. thanks

btw, i searched for the thread on this topic and already looked through it, so please dont direct me to that old thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 12:51 PM

Re: HELP!! guitar = carry-on?

I was told the same thing when I was flyin home from NY to Las Vegas, however, I was on a big plane flyin home Boing on Delta, and did not check it in, they put it in First Class Coat Rack, when the flight was over I showed the flight attendant, my Beautiful 89' JEM77FP, she said she had never seen such a beautiful guitar.

This was last summer 05'

So I guess it the luck of the draw... and who you deal with, It might of helped I had my 7 yr old daughter with me.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Vendor

Either box it and put it in cargo or buy a ticket from another airline with a longer size allowance. Or, just keep it strapped over your shoulder until you get on the plane and try to get lucky.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 12:57 PM

Try to get it in the coat section of the first class - politely ask the stewardess.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTart
Try to get it in the coat section of the first class - politely ask the stewardess.

thats seems to be what i've read in the other thread. my worry is that they wont even let me on the plane with my guitar, never getting the chance to even ask them.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

what happens with my guitar if i get stopped and can't bring it on the plane?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:30 PM

Slip them a $50?

I was told I shouldn't carry it on the plane, but they never said NO, then when I got to the stewardess on the palne, she was happy to help - said, I will put it in the coat section, it will be fine with all smiles. Very Cute Blonde.

I can see a issue if its a real small plane with no extra space.

Good Luck :>)
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:49 PM

One of the original "features" of bolt-on construction was not only replaceability, but also portability... but then again Leo Fender never really anticipated the fragile equilibrium of a double-locking trem.

So you don't have ANY hardshell case to throw it in for luggage, as cringe-worthy a solution that would be? You're chances may be better, if you're flying to stay at someone's house or something, to mail it to wherever you are staying. Expensive, yes, but cheaper than replacing it if the baggage throwers break it, or buying an extra seat, or missing your flight because of a hassle at the gate.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:13 PM

Reviews: 10
Lightbulb Re: HELP!! guitar = carry-on?

I've flown several times mostly with united and ted but also quite a few times with american airlines, Delta and Continental and I carried my guitar with me in most of those trips and I never had a problem, I was always able to store it in the overhead compartment, the only secret to it is to arrive very early to your gate so that when your row starts boarding you are one of the first people to get on the plane this way you can take over the whole storage compartment (I know is not very polite but you've got to do what you've got to do in order not to get somebody elses suitcases, bags, etc in there with your axe and have it dinged, scraped, damaged etc...) so I usually put another small bag in there and a jacket or something to make it look like it's full and then I close it and viola!!!
In fact there was a time I was flying to Virginia in a smaller plane and I took not 1 but 2 axes with me and I got away with it, I don't see why you can't.
Usually fliaght attendants are very accomodating and you shouldn't miss your flight over such a petty thing, in the worst case scenario they will put your guitar in the luggage compartment rack which you'll get back right away as you get off the plane no need to claim this item at the terminal.
I hope this helps...
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

^ yes, thanks, olie. do you have to be sneaky about getting on the plane or have you just walked on? i imagine you cant really hide a guitar anyhow, due to its size haha thanks again

o yea, i havent been on a plane since i was a kid; are those overage storage areas always big enough to hold a guitar, as long as you can claim one pretty quick?
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:26 PM

Reviews: 10
Talking Re: HELP!! guitar = carry-on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette6600
^ yes, thanks, olie. do you have to be sneaky about getting on the plane or have you just walked on? i imagine you cant really hide a guitar anyhow, due to its size haha thanks again
You don't have to be sneaky just walk nonchalant into the plane, if they say something about it tell them that yout guitar is very fragile and rather expensive and has a sentimental value to you and you'd hate for it to get damaged and tell them that you'd never thank them enough if they let you in the plane with it and that you'll make sure to call their supervisor or the airline to give them a commendation, make it sound natural and sincere and usually that will soften them up, although every now and then you run into a hard ass or two...
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S
make it sound natural and sincere and usually that will soften them up, although every now and then you run into a hard ass or two...
gotcha, what do you do in that case?
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:38 PM

I carried on my VWH to Enland back and forth two years in a row. (Hardcase) I told the lady at the ticket counter that I had to carry it on because it may get damaged. This was Continental and it was not problem. She put a carry on sticker on it and I brought it right on the plane. It fit perfetly up above me in the compartment. Then on the way back out of England, I didn't even ask because I had left the carry on sticker on the shell. No questions asked.

The second time around, it didn't fit in the overhead compartment (different plane) so they let me put it up front in the plane were the flight attendants store their carry on items. Just ask if you can do that. Shouldn't be a problem.

I'd strongly suggest bringing it in a hardshell case though vette. Just in case they are being difficult and won't let you carry it on Also, if the ticket counter person is being difficult, ask to speak to managment and plea your case.

I would ask the folks at the ticket counter and try to work a deal with them beforte just walking down and trying to get on the plane.

Good Luck!!
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluealien
when I got to the stewardess on the palne, she was happy to help - said, I will put it in the coat section, it will be fine with all smiles. Very Cute Blonde.
Not all of us are pretty boys Rich
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your continued input guys. i may have to borrow my roommates hardshell case then. olie, have u used hardshells or gig bags in your experiences?

Tags
beautiful guitar , leo fender

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode