Help! A guy on evilBAY wants to screw me... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Help! A guy on evilBAY wants to screw me...

I bought my xBox 360 a couple of weeks ago and I decided to sell my old xBox on the bay. I never use the italian postage system because it's too unreliable so I specified on the auction that the item would have been shipped with an express courier that gets you the package the day after it's shipped. Shipping price wasn't specified since it's always different according to dimension/weight.

Now, the highest bidder offered 71 euros for my xbox and asked me for shipping costs after the auction. I went to the courier with the item to get the quote and since this guy is on the other end of Italy they told me that it might take a little longer to get there. So I decide that I may just as well ship the xbox right there since I don't want the guy waiting more than what I specified (I know I'm an idiot). I go back home and tell the guy that the console is on his way and that it costed me 22 euros. He answers back that he thought the shipping price was included in the 71 euros he bidded and that he won't pay more than that because the auction hadn't specified a shipping price. WTF?!?!

I'm not to sure what's going to happen now. I offered to divide the shipping costs but he's firm on just paying 71 euros for the thing. I'm not going to just give away the shipping because he's too stupid to ask for a shipping quote BEFORE he bids and makes stupid assumptions. I know I shouldnt have shipped the item before he had payed for the thing but that's done and I'm not going to cry over it. Anyone has any advice on how to proceed? What happens if I report him to evilBay Will I ever get my xbox back (or my money)?

ANy info is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Vendor

Re: Help! A guy on evilBAY wants to screw me...

You screwed yourself, take the 71 while he's still offerring to pay it. Otherwise you'll get nothing.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:43 PM

hmm, contact the courier company and ask them if they can return the package to you... if they can, mail the guy and tell him if he's not gonna pay shipping then he wont get the xbox as they will redirect it to you..
he ASKED you for shipping costs after the auction ended, silly !
you shipping it - also silly !

I also get the feeling that he has not paid you yet ???
why ship without payment ?

if it comes to it... at least you have his address - send the "boys" round
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:49 PM

Never ship the item until you have all the money that you're owed, and I guess as a corrollary, don't volunteer a shipping method that compromises your end of the deal. No one needs an old XBox that quick, and as impressive as a next-day courier delivery sounds, don't leave yourself vulnerable. People are going to be just as happy getting a deal on something whether it's after 2 days or 7. Also, since there were no shipping costs included for when the buyer goes through "checkout," that's all he's obligated to pay, really, so you can't report him for nonpayment if he only pays you the 71 euros.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:51 PM

As far as lessons go, thank goodness this wasn't a much more expensive one. You said in the ad it would be shipped by a courier, but did you specifically say in the ad that the winning bidder would pay for the shipping? If you didn't, then chalk it up as a lesson learned (a pretty cheap one too) and get the 71 Euros.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:23 PM

Eeeeek :S

You should never post an item out before the guy has paid, especially if you've received no contact from them before. You also need to be really careful what you specify.

Personally, I always put the postage on **** auctions, so the buyer knows exactally what they have to pay. It might be a pain hazarding a guess, but so long as your realistic about it you should be pretty close.

Also, i dont buy from sellers who dont specify a price, you never know what they might charge.

Grab that 71 Euros while you can, or else you may never see it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEr0 View Post
Help! A guy on evilBAY wants to screw me...
make sure he buys you dinner first. and calls you the next day.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 03:06 PM

Reviews: 10
Wink Re: Help! A guy on evilBAY wants to screw me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo7v View Post
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo7v View Post
atleast

but seriously... who posts something before they recieve payment? you really will be lucky if he bothers to pay at all now.

Last edited by ibanezdiehard; 11-28-2006 at 06:55 PM. Reason: gramma
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 05:44 PM

I was gonna suggest some Vaseline...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

So it looks like it IS my fault after all... Guess I got used to dealing with the trustworthy people here at Jemsite and got careless with the evilbay scums. That won't happen again.

THX for the advice eveyone, I'll try to get my 71 euros.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 06:48 AM

It's your fault that you are a good person and you trust others. Unfortunately not everyone is like that. At the very least give him some nasty feedback. I know it probably doesn't matter to him but it's about all you can do.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 07:34 AM

zErO, i would do as someone else mentioned and contact the courier company and ask them if they could return the item to you. It's much better to pay and lose 22 euros, then 71 and the xBox. If they were happy to do this, and you decided to resell the xBox again, consider this a lesson learned, and NEVER send anything without payment first, and either stipulate that buyer pays ALL shipping costs, and/or put an actual shipping price on the auction.
I hope you don't get stiffed and the xBox is returned to you.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 08:18 AM

Ask to return the item to you. It's the best thing to do.

Blakky
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKK:JAKK View Post
Ask to return the item to you. It's the best thing to do.

Blakky

Yeah, either ask for the item back or cut your losses...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode