HELP have I been ripped off? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

HELP have I been ripped off?

Anyone here live in the Phoenix Az area? I purchased (US POSTAL M.O.) an older '88 RG550 from the phoenix craigslist back on the 8th of Oct, (nobody here has actually purchased this guitar locally have they) I need someone to help me find out if the guy even has it or why he is not sending it out.... I keep e-mailing and he always says I am sending it out on this date, or this came up, or it will be sent on this date, now its been over a week and he has not replied back, I don't know if he sold it and just took my money and is giving me a run around or what. He keeps re-assuring me its safe, he has it, blah blah blah, he had to purchase a used case in order to mail it, blah blah blah. What type of action and how can I take action if I do not receive it soon or not even hear back from him. This is my first time anything like this has happened to me. I live in Florida so I know I should of not even attempted it, but I wanted it for the good price it was offered at $300, it was gonna be my JEM project guitar

Thanks

P.M me if you can help, or if you actually purchased it from the Phoenix craigslist in Oct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: HELP have I been ripped off?

It's only been a week--relax a bit. Did you get his phone number? If you get no replies within another week, speak with a postal clerk about cancelling that MO and filing mail fraud claim. You also get the Phoenix police involved.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 AM

8th of October till today = 3 weeks plus.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 11:49 AM

Reviews: 2

Alaskabat is right, its only been a week or two..... let me tell you what I think. you say you have been emailing the guy, your wording would suggest you have sent more than one email, am I right? The guy has probably posted it (lets hope so) and is now really fed up of you bombarding him with emails and does not feel the need to answer. I hope you receive your guitar yesterday....... errrr sorrry I mean soon.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
8th of October till today = 3 weeks plus.
Yeah--just saw that. I first read the, "It's been over a week." I agree with Jonny--might be due to inquiry bombardments.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

3 weeks since he said he got my money order, the thing is he keeps saying, I will send it out this day, then a week later he says, "not got it out, I have been busy etc, I will send it this date", and on and on for 3 weeks now, and then all week he has not replied at all. Dude if it was you would you not keep trying to e-mail to get some kind of straight answer!!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

Follow the advice given--you don't want to wait past any deadlines. Do you have his phone? You obviously have his address since you sent a money order.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I have his phone# but he can just say, "I will send it out, blah blah" just like thru the e-mails, he already cashed the M.O I am sure by now, so can I still consider it stolen or no?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM

I would send him an email and let him respond to it, that way you have proof of the conversation. If you response is not enough for you then I would let him know by email again that you want a refund and that if you have not received either the guitar or your money back by a week from that date that you will have to get the police involved. If he still has sat on it then I would get them involved. By the way this is why I will not use Craigslist if I have to have something shipped to me or ship to someone. Just my 2 cents
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 PM

I hate to be negative, but I think you are out the $$ and will never see the guitar.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Well, since you sent a US Postal money order and the seller deposited/cashed it; this is considered a Federal Offense. It goes a little further than just running off with cash and nothing ever happening with law enforcement. I would go to the post office that issued you the money order. There is a form you must fill out, I don't know the name/number, but they will ask for some info, also be able to see which bank/account, teller, etc cashed it if it goes under investigation. What sucks is that you are out of state and that might take some time. It's not lost being that it's not currency which you've sent that doesn't have a paper trail, the money order does, it's like a check. I would just hang in there, perhaps call them (if you can), or email, and let them know your plans as for filing for theft of the $300 money order.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.StrangeNote View Post
Well, since you sent a US Postal money order and the seller deposited/cashed it; this is considered a Federal Offense. It goes a little further than just running off with cash and nothing ever happening with law enforcement. I would go to the post office that issued you the money order. There is a form you must fill out, I don't know the name/number, but they will ask for some info, also be able to see which bank/account, teller, etc cashed it if it goes under investigation. What sucks is that you are out of state and that might take some time. It's not lost being that it's not currency which you've sent that doesn't have a paper trail, the money order does, it's like a check. I would just hang in there, perhaps call them (if you can), or email, and let them know your plans as for filing for theft of the $300 money order.
That's what I tried explaining to him. It's the first thing that should have been done.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Vendor

Unfortunately the bottom line is the Fed's won't give a rats ass unless it has to do with homeland security or theft over 1/2 million. You can report all you want just to feel like you're doing something, but it will not be productive.

The advice I gave you is your only possibility outside of hiring a lawyer as a proxy to sue him in small claims, where all your fees including legal will be included in the suit. The only problem with this is there is no enforcement arm of the court to make them pay.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

I was going and still am, going ot the post office, I already know he cashed it, its been 3 weeks, but I was still trying to give him time to actually send it before I started to go into that.

Thanks
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Reviews: 25

to risky sending money and hoping the guy will post it....

Tags
rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode