Help me pick a Blu Ray player - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Help me pick a Blu Ray player

So many and different prices. I don't want the cheapo one, or the $1000 one:
http://www.buy.com/prod/sony-bdp-s20...207390500.html

I guess I'm int he $200 to $300 range.

Suggestions?

I know there are knew ones that connect to the internet. Not interested. On dial up forever. And don't have or want cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:15 AM

Re: Help me pick a Blu Ray player

Just get a PS3, they play blu-ray dvds, and they are cheaper to.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr vai View Post
Just get a PS3, they play blu-ray dvds, and they are cheaper to.
I have to agree. The PS3 has been updated to the latest profile and can handle any blu-ray disc you throw at it.

Best overall purchase for the money.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:42 AM

Reviews: 18

Without question, the PS3 should be the first blu-ray player you should be looking at. For the features and because it can handle a wider variety of audio formats, it should be the first choice.

You mght be able to get it for $249:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921644604396

Jimmy
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 09:11 AM

I second (or third or fourth!) the PS3.
jaxadam is online  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 09:44 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

The PS3 is the "easiest" choice if $$$ is not an issue but i would (and did) pass on the PS3 unless you want to play games. few reasons..

1. it's very bulky
2. remote not IR compliant, so you need a usb IR addon to work with universal remote
3. if you have kids do you really want a "game machine" where your movie player is
4. it's way too expensive overall
5. dvd upscaling performance is not great

i have the samsung bd-1500 which was $199 shipped with the Matrix Boxset. It is BD2.0 compliant. Another bonus of this is it handles TruHD audio at a higher bitrate by transcoding to dts so a basic 5.1 receiver that handles dts can use TruHD audio (not just DD5.1). The Panny BD-35 is also one to consider as it has free Blu disc promotions. I've seen 4 free discs at Amazon but search around... glen
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
The PS3 is the "easiest" choice if $$$ is not an issue but i would (and did) pass on the PS3 unless you want to play games. few reasons..

1. it's very bulky
2. remote not IR compliant, so you need a usb IR addon to work with universal remote
3. if you have kids do you really want a "game machine" where your movie player is
4. it's way too expensive overall
5. dvd upscaling performance is not great

i have the samsung bd-1500 which was $199 shipped with the Matrix Boxset. It is BD2.0 compliant. Another bonus of this is it handles TruHD audio at a higher bitrate by transcoding to dts so a basic 5.1 receiver that handles dts can use TruHD audio (not just DD5.1). The Panny BD-35 is also one to consider as it has free Blu disc promotions. I've seen 4 free discs at Amazon but search around... glen
Thanks Glen.

I don't play games. We have a wii and a ps2 I don't use. And tossed the xbox a year ago.
That sound like it's in my price range. Will I just need an s-video cable or rca cables?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Hf you're using s-video don't bother with blu-ray. Wait on a player until you have the HD monitor.

you want an HDTV with HDMI ideally (or DVI with HDCP compliance), or component video inputs minimum to get 1080p, 1080i or 720p output... glen
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Hf you're using s-video don't bother with blu-ray. Wait on a player until you have the HD monitor.

you want an HDTV with HDMI ideally (or DVI with HDCP compliance), or component video inputs minimum to get 1080p, 1080i or 720p output... glen
Thats a big issue with high def TV. SO many people don't know which cables to use and just hook up anything at all.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Yep, I don't know squat about HDTV, the connections, the players, the features, etc...yet. But I'm learning.

Here's what I have.

http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Sanyo-DP32746
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 PM

Reviews: 18

Honestly, I don't think you'll get the benefit of a blu-ray player with the tv you have Darin (no offense). I think you'd be able to save yourself some money if you spend it on an upconverting dvd player rather than a blu-ray one. If you must go the blu-ray way, just get the cheapest blu-ray player you can find.

Jimmy

P.S.: Here's the link for the manual: http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/pdf/DP3...66--manual.pdf
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 05:29 AM
dex

Go with Glen's choice but make sure you order HDMI cable when you're getting the player.
For $200 may as well get a future-proof player you'll be able to really appreciate when you get a 40" 1080p TV in a year or two rather than spend $100 on an upconverting DVD player now and then still have to buy a blu-ray player in the future.

By the way I have a PS3 plugged into a year old 40" 1080p TV (Samsung LE40 A557) and DVD upconverting is really poor compared to HTPC plugged into the same TV.
A really good friend of mine has the same setup but his Samsung is older and only 720p and the upconverting on his TV looks stunning so the PS3 does a great job at upconverting to 720p but a really poor job at upconverting to 1080p.
The difference is unbelievable, I was borrowing DVDs from him and tweaking the PS3 settings for months and wondering why they look so good on his TV and so poor on mine.

Last edited by dex; 12-06-2008 at 05:40 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Honestly, I don't think you'll get the benefit of a blu-ray player with the tv you have
Why is that? Are you saying that the blu ray wont look better than a dvd on my tv?

The blu ray isn't so much because we are unhappy with the picture now. But movies now are coming out with features only on blu ray. The new Caspian movie is the catalyst for the bl ray at this point.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 05:24 PM
site founder 0% owner

if a few bucks are not an issue i'd go with the blu-ray player (vs upscaler) for simple reason that if you are looking to rent/netflix movies the blu-ray versions would nicer to watch and obviously if you PURCHASE movies the blu-ray versions are more useful long-term and won't likely ever be improved upon (not in the next decade anyways).

DVDs are great for what they are (cheap, convenient, decent quality on small TVs) but basically disposable now... too low a resolution and too crummy going forward. Fine for renting.

The 32" 720p LCD will look great with blu-ray (or any HD content fed from a PC) whereas upscaled 480i DVD will always look resolution starved (the 720p panel has almost 2x more pixels (1280x720) vs (720x480) and more bandwidth and increased chroma... glen
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 06:10 PM

PS3 defo, unless you are a hifi/visual purist and like to spend over 1K for that little extra.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode