Help me plan my trip to Europe! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Help me plan my trip to Europe!

Hi! On may 07, Me and the GF will go to Europe for about 3-4 weeks. I thought I'd ask my fellow jemsiters on some tips regarding travel between cities, hotels/hostals and of course, places to view.

My preliminary schedule is:
Madrid - Barcelona - Paris - London - Roma - Venezia - Milano - Berlin - Frankfurt

All opinions are welcome!!!
PS: I'm open to beer invitations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Re: Help me plan my trip to Europe!

Recommended by Jemsiters:

Madrid:

Barcelona:
Paris:
-Louvre
-Cabaret Shows

London:
-London Eye
-Madame Tusauds (Chamber of Horrors)

Milano:

Venezia:

Firenze:

Roma:

Last edited by caprile; 01-04-2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added recommendations
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:54 AM

Well, what would you be interested in doing? I for one would opt to go on a tour so that you'll be more informed on the places that you visit. For London, I'd go check out the London Eye and Madame Tussauds. Madame Tussauds only gets fun when you go down to the Chamber of Horrors, and even then there's nothing much. You could go for the deluxe version (something like that, check the website). There you get live actors who scare the pants off you, or so I've heard. As for Paris, don't expect to be treated too kindly. My experience with Parisians haven't went well (one bloke practically pushed me out of his way in a bookstore). But I'm sure that doesn't speak for Parisians in general, just the ones I've come across. Anyways, if you're into art you could always check out the Louvre (I wasn't so I had a horribly boring time there). And you should also check out one of the cabaret shows. Now that was one hell of a show. Comedy, dancing, singing etc. Sure is entertaining, so I'd highly recommend you going to one of the shows. Oh, and have a good trip!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...I'll edit my original post and add recommended stuff, who knows, maybe it will be useful for someone else!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:31 PM

Hola si pasas por Milan llamame y salimos a tomar una birra. Te dejo mi numero de celular : 333-6421-548
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:33 PM

BTW Not much to see here, honestly. One of the crapiest cities I've ever seen. If I were you I'd go to Switzerland.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:04 PM

One word CASTLES.

I think it would be cool to travel thru Eurpoe visiting castles in different countries.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 12:38 AM

Paris
London
Rome
Amsterdam
wow.... too many too list
have fun!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post
One word CASTLES.

I think it would be cool to travel thru Eurpoe visiting castles in different countries.
Castles in general, even in one country (like Germany). WOW factor. Neuwschwanstein - fairy tale - forgive the spelling.

and the cathedrals
and the musea (museums?) of those cathedrals (St Peter's in Rome)

Rome - above, plus the shopping place (via condotti area). Spanish steps, fontana di trevi for some nice pictures. Tivoli garden (don't remember if I hit that from Rome or somewhere else)

Barcelona - La Sagrada Familia (cathedral) and anything with Gaudi on it though this is probably the biggest example. For Spain (Bar and Mad) be careful with your wallet in your pocket/purse in a bag. Use a fanny pack with the pack in front.

One thing I would suggest is to get an "on a shoestring" travel giude as those things have some really good examples of nice family run hotels, restaurants, etc.

For the Netherlands - what??? No Netherlands???
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 12:24 PM

my gf wants to visit haunted castles for a holiday trip. that could be fun.

i said Amsterdam. cup o' Joe and a special menu please
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 PM

Reviews: 18

I would def. recommend you go see:

In London, England
-the British Museum
-Stonehenge
-Abbey Road Studios
-Westminster Abbey
-Buckingham Palace

In Rome, Italy:
-Vatican City (lots of stuff there) (Tell the pope I said wazzzzaaa)
-The Colosseum
-The Sistine Chapel

In Amsterdam:
-Get some ho's and some pot (LOL)

In Paris:
-The Eiffel Tower (There's a restaurant at top, go eat there)
-The Louvre
-The Arc de Triomphe

In Venezia:
-Take a ride in the canals

Jimmy
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 01:54 PM

Ehmm, Stonehenge is not actually in London (If it was the land would be worth so much, they'd outsource Stonehenge to Bangalore and build an office building there instead)

I am not a big fan of the touristy stuff, I am more into just walking around the city, relaxing, getting a beer, seeing what real people actually do.

In London you can:
- See a west-end musical
- Walk around Soho and grab a pint, or 7
- Go to the Notting Hill market and to Camden Town, or maybe Brick Lane as well for some folklore.
- Take a walk in Hyde Park/Regent's Park.
- Go to the British Museum
- Go to Tate Modern if you're into modern art
- Walk around Chelesa, Knightsbridge, go to Harrods etc...
- See the usual sights: Tower Bridge, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London etc (nothing overly exciting, but good to just see them)
- In general I suggest just taking a few days to walk around, and make regular stops in pubs.

Paris:
- Do the walk around Champs Elysees, see the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe etc...
- Go for a walk around Montmartre (very nice)
- Go to the Louvre, or if you are actually interested in good art other than seeing the Mona Lisa just for the sake of seeing it, go to the Musee D'Orsay (a lot of good Impressionism) or Centre Pompidou (lots of good modern art)
- Visit the Quartier Latin
- Same thing as for London - just walk around, get a feel for the city, not worth it to run around like madman to see all the sights. Most Parisians probably haven't.

FYI: there is not much to do in Frankfurt. It's a nice city, but if you have seen Berlin or Munich it's probably not worth the effort. Unless you want to meet some ECB Central Bankers.

Milan, Venice, and Rome are all cool - worth visiting IMO, so is Berlin. I would suggest mabe trying to see Prague - very nice old town, cheaper than rest of Europe, and excellent beer (just don't come on the weekend - too many drunken Brits). Vienna could be interesting too, or Budapest.

edit: terrible spelling

Last edited by pawel; 01-05-2007 at 09:31 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'll update the summary as soon as I get home. Don't forget guitar places!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 02:04 PM

I noticed London,Stonehenge thing too

I guess it's coz to Americans England is the size of a small town
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 09:29 PM

Reviews: 34

Madrid - Pelle Melle (i think that is how it is spelt) restaurant. Capital, club. Tapas, food. Pick pockets and muggings are a problem. Be aware.

If you are going to Italy the lake country is supposed to be fantastic.

London - all of it. A trip down the thames is a good way to see most of the sites.

Prague is good. Watch out for drunk brits and hookers though. Again, be aware. Amsterdam is similar although not quite as grand in my opinion.

Go to the South of France. My mother in law lives there and it is perfect.

Dublin is worth it too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode