Help needed concernin wireless internet - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Help needed concernin wireless internet

Hello there,
I am wrestling with wireless network problems for some time now. And would like to hear what you've got to say on the matter. Here's the setup and the problems I'm experiencing...
I use a US Robotics 9106 gateway, and I upgraded the antennas to US Robotics's 5 dBi ones upon suggestion that it would offer wider range. We use the wireless to access internet from anywhere at house, but so far nothing has come close to solving our problems. This of course could be caused by walls being concrete and all but even from the adjoining room signal is quite weak. The gateway's connected to my sister's PC which naturally runs Winblows. I use airport extreme to access the internet from my iMac. My father's using a USB wireless card on his laptop PC from 3 rooms away. My room's next to the gateway but even so the connection goes down.
We are thinking of getting back to using wires but you know it's a pain in the... ahem anyway. What would you suggest that could make our wireless connection more efficient? Or what would you advice to replace USR9106 with?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 06:02 AM

Re: Help needed concernin wireless internet

First off, try putting the settings back to the factory defaults and then tweak from there (from the sounds of things this might not do much, but it's a start.)

Are you trying to share folders as well as the internet? You need the Netbeui protocol installing. All of your machines can act as a gateway to the router too, so try accessing it the same way on your and your Dad's laptop the way you would on your sister's PC.

A concrete wall shouldn't do squat to a wireless connection. I have about 3 different connections I can choose from on my wireless because other people on the street don't use security (not that I do use it, I only use my own) and obviously there are thick concrete was between us.

I suggest trying a different router. Find a store and explain the situation and ask if you can get a refund if it doesn't work.

Hope that helps, good luck!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

I already tried to restore the factory settings, didn't work unfortunately. I will try to use my iMac as a gateway to the router, but I don't think it will do any difference.
I thought concrete walls wouldn't make that much difference because our neighbours wireless signals are just better than ours. we of course dont use them but I just wanted to check the signals. But in the manual it was mentioned that concrete walls might diminish the signal.
I went to a store and told them about the problem, they suggested the 5 dBi antennas, and though it made a little difference it obviouly can't stop the router from crashing. All of a sudden, the connection goes down. When I try to connect again from my mac, it says it can't connect to USR9106.
We thought about getting a new router as well, and it will be the way we choose to go, but these things cost much more money than they do over in US. I'd want to choose a decent router and quite honestly I'm not that good at this kinda stuff... This means, I will need your recommendations badly

Thanks for the fast reply...

Edit: btw, my asking for a refund is out of question because it is nearly 1 year since I bought the device. These problems were not so apparent then and we didn't need the wireless that much.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:20 AM

No problem.

What I meant was explain it to the store when you get a NEW router.

Belkin have always done me proud, and OfficeConnect, you can get both over here in the UK for about £60 each.

They always put stuff about the walls and things in these manuals so it doesn't make their product look inferior, and it gives Joe Public a seemingly valid reason as to why it's not performing.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:34 AM

Norton anti virus can cause wireless connections to drop randomly...
I had terrible problems until I ditched NAV and installed kapersky.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:38 AM

Funnily enough I was just going to type...

If you've got Norton, disable it and then try wireless. If not, use the network wizard to allow the router access to your computers.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

None of us are using any anti-virus programs, that wouldn't hurt aour wireless that much I believe.
Checking Belkin and OfficeConnect now.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 09:54 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wis Redz of Silvanost View Post
Hello there,
I am wrestling with wireless network problems for some time now. And would like to hear what you've got to say on the matter. Here's the setup and the problems I'm experiencing...
I use a US Robotics 9106 gateway, and I upgraded the antennas to US Robotics's 5 dBi ones upon suggestion that it would offer wider range. We use the wireless to access internet from anywhere at house, but so far nothing has come close to solving our problems. This of course could be caused by walls being concrete and all but even from the adjoining room signal is quite weak. The gateway's connected to my sister's PC which naturally runs Winblows. I use airport extreme to access the internet from my iMac. My father's using a USB wireless card on his laptop PC from 3 rooms away. My room's next to the gateway but even so the connection goes down.
We are thinking of getting back to using wires but you know it's a pain in the... ahem anyway. What would you suggest that could make our wireless connection more efficient? Or what would you advice to replace USR9106 with?

Thanks in advance.
sounds like your wireless "gateway" (robotics) is incompatible with the rest of your wireless equipment OR your neighbors signals are interfering with your own. whenever you have these problems the best thing to do is get a wireless router and matching cards (for each PC) all the same brand/level. then use turn off the wireless portion of the robotics and connect it directly to the WAN port of the new wireless router (using the robotics as just the dsl modem)

i'm not sure what is sold over there but the new MIMO and pre-N equipment has very good range and coverage (plus a speed boost if everyone is using them)... glen
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:24 PM
EdE

I had/have the same issue with the router dropping the internet. Though mine has never worked quite right. I have a friend who only had to reboot his Linksys like 5 times in 3 years and now it is happening all the time. It may just be the router.
What I did was when I went to buy a new router I asked if I could return it if it didnt fix my problem. I was told no but bought it anyways. Didnt matter though as it fixed my problem.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 10:05 PM

D-Link's Range Booster is an excellent option for improving wireless signal quality. http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=2&sec=1 After experiencing problems with Linksys, a friend of mine inside Microsoft suggested D-Link. I've never had a loss of signal since I switched. (I'm using the lower end DI-524, not one of the higher powered models.)

The USR antenna upgrade is a band-aid fix at best. It's akin to trying to pickup a weak 5000 watt FM radio signal from Podunk, Iowa with a mega FM antenna and receiver in Chicago. What you need is a more powerful transmitter that will send a clear, high quality signal that can be received by standard wireless adapters.

Last edited by ScottB; 08-17-2006 at 10:11 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 10:26 PM

Here's a less than favorable review of the USR 9106 when pushed in a multiple wireless connection setting. The performance issues you're describing are similar to the findings in the Performance and Conclusions sections of the review. Scroll to the last section at the bottom of the page.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...4/usr-9106.asp
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'm looking at everything you posted right now.
Glen, what you recommend is a little pricey (the bit about getting each pc a new card) but I might go that way if nothing solves my problem.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 06:29 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

i know, but they have better wireless coverage. if not get 56g (or superG) package with same brand/model cards & matching router... glen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode