Help needed on SACD players and Hi-Fi Systems - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Help needed on SACD players and Hi-Fi Systems

Hi there,

Lately I have been thinking of getting a decent audio system for my room. And I mean decent, I don't want a mini music set or something like that. I was thinking of getting a deck SACD player and kick-*ss speakers but this decision is not based on knowledge or anything, just what I see from serious music listeners(?).
I was hoping to get your help on this matter. I don't need radio or MP3 playback or multidisc changers. All I need is decent SACD player and speakers.
Any help is highly appreciated. Some technical introduction might be helpful as well

PS: I know there are some players for $3k or over but I'm in the market for middle-priced stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:06 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Help needed on SACD players and Hi-Fi Systems

SACD is a total waste of time unless you have $3k invested in quality speakers... glen
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:06 PM

If possible, find one that does both SACD and DVDA. You might be able to find some cheapish DVD players that will do both now-a-days.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
SACD is a total waste of time unless you have $3k invested in quality speakers... glen
True, as far as hearing the higher fidelity goes. However some would argue that the linear/single bit sampling may sound more natural compared to CD even on crappy systems. Interestingly, I've actually heard people claim that the single bit sampling is actually a step back in sound quality. I do not have the expertise to argue one side or the other.

All that aside, the multi-channel audio is great even on middle of the road systems. On discs that are mixed well you can get some really good instrument separation. I have one of those $500 Sony DVD home theater systems. The speakers and amplifier are mediocre at best, but I still enjoy sitting in my living room and jamming out to 5.1 channel music.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
site founder 0% owner

placebo effect ...glen

ps - multichannel for movies is good on cheapie systems because 80% of what your mind focuses on is dialog from the center channel along with the on-screen visual. anyone with nice stereo speakers can attest to how horrendous they sound with music (real multichannel or simulated).
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I didn't know that. I was specifically asking for SACD because the newest aditions to my classical music collection are generally hybrid SACDs(Deutsche Grammaphon has taken to producing SACDs).

OK then, could you please, please, please advice me on a simple setup?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

And do I need a receiver if I want 5.1 sound?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 06:04 PM

Yes you do
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 07:08 PM

You'll have more luck over here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=88
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

like this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=769788

you won't get much help there as a newbie but if you want to debate about nonsense or if you really know your stuff and have a highly technical question it's a great place to go.

i'll save you alot of time and $$$ and tell you again forget SACD and multichannel music and work on getting nice stereo speakers FIRST with room to add surrounds later... glen
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 05:58 AM

+1, yes, get good speakers first. Remember that a system is only as good as it's weakest component. Next, I would recommend a good multi-channel amplifier to push them. You will need a receiver with analog inputs. SACD (and DVD-Audio I think, yes Glen?) require individual channel analog inputs. This was done to prevent piracy I beleive. So, a receiver with 6 (including the sub) analog inputs will be required to utilize the multi-channel music formats. Kind of like when hot rodding a car, they say to start at the muffler and work your way back, I recommend the same thing here, start at the speakers and work your way back.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 09:30 AM
site founder 0% owner

analog is the most popular, among the reasons is lack of quality amps/receivers with HDMI connectors.

HDMI v1.1 supports DVD-Audio out and HDMI v1.2 supports SACD also.

The PS3 is HDMI pre-v1.3 and does SACD but that is a square peg in a round hole.... total mismatch of target customers (gamers) to product (sacd audiphile). it doesn't do DVD-Audio however and very few products support SACD since it's creator (sony) has basically abandoned it... glen
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've looked around and decided on CD player and receiver. They are Marantz CD5001 and Marantz SR5600, respectively. I can't make my mind on speakers though. I hear B&Ws are great. I want a just stereo right now, that is I will need two decent speakers at first. Any recommendations on that?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:56 PM

B and W are phenomenal. However, and this is the really hard part, you reaaaally need to listen to the speakers. Some will just be more pleasing to your ears than others, kind of like guitar amps, price doesn't always dictate what sounds better to YOU. Finding a place with a variety of high end speakers isn't easy, but it's worth a little travel for a serious investment. But yes, B and W are stunning. If you had to buy some without hearing them first, you will not be disappointed with them.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 11:18 PM

Reviews: 18

I have a pir of B&W 602's and I love them. As far as SACD, I wouldn't do it unless you really feel like listening to music in surround sound. Like Glen said, if you have 3K to spend in speakers alone, then by all means.

Jimmy

Tags
tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode