Helpp, why don't i wanna play my guitar anymore? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Helpp, why don't i wanna play my guitar anymore?

I lost interest in playing my guitar, dunno why, just haven't played it in a week and I want to but it just seems like too much of a hassle to me? i dunno why.. maybe its cuz i lost my cords and now i can't plug it in..

anyone got any ideas as to how i can spice up my love life with my guitar? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:55 PM

Re: Helpp, why don't i wanna play my guitar anymore?

join a band!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:55 PM

get a cord and stick it in.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:04 PM

Go listen to GOOMY. It always works for me.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:04 PM

Reviews: 1

Sometimes the best thing you can do for your playing is to not play. There are other things in life besides playing guitar and one can draw inspiration from those other things.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Banned

yep, take a break.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:10 AM

Reviews: 1

I think some folks, especially when they're young, think it's cool to be all hardcore and practice every waking hour of every day but guitar playing is like anything else in life. You can only do it for so long before you get tired of it. It's not how many hours you play but rather what you get done in the hours you play. There's an old saying - "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Take a break from playing guitar and see how much you miss it. You'll enjoy it that much more when you get back to it.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
I think some folks, especially when they're young, think it's cool to be all hardcore and practice every waking hour of every day but guitar playing is like anything else in life. You can only do it for so long before you get tired of it. It's not how many hours you play but rather what you get done in the hours you play. There's an old saying - "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Take a break from playing guitar and see how much you miss it. You'll enjoy it that much more when you get back to it.
Very true actually, I always find myself really enjoying guitar after a few days absence. You realise that you're not as bad as you think you are
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:08 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
get a cord and stick it in.
LMAO!
Date other guitars!

Seriously, though. I walked away from it for three years. I was just DONE with it completely! It wasn't until Wilma hit and we were without power for a month that I started playing again, also unplugged on an electric.
Don't sweat it. It's probably just natural to take a break.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:30 AM

Back in 1981, I took a break from the band scene and my electric guitar. I only played my classical for 5 years. I was recording a lot of eclectic blues, some old time folk and James Taylor type stuff. There were a couple periods during that time where I didn't pick up a guitar for over a year.

I met my wife during this period and while we were dating, she didn't seem to catch on that I played guitar. We had a rather large wedding and I invited all of my old band mates and jamming friends. One thing led to another and within 2 months of getting married and buying our first house, I talked my wife into using our huge basement as a rehearsal room. I dusted off the electric, bought a Carvin XV combo and I was back into the rock club / bar band scene again. That was nearly 22 years ago and I've been in six different bands since then.

Take a break and play acoustic for awhile. Write some songs if creativity strikes.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:37 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Helpp, why don't i wanna play my guitar anymore?

Not that I'm a military guy...but

The military used to employ a training secret that worked a person at a specific intricate task very intensely for a short time. If the person didn't get it they would have him take a break and send them off to do something completely different for a while. Later they would bring him back to work on the original task and they found the person actually got better at it.

I started practicing like that. If I got stuck with something, I'd put the guitar down watch some TV, go to the store, anything, and when I came back it was easier to get...Weird.

Put it down for a bit and see how you feel...

If you love something set it free. If it comes back to you it's yours, if it doesn't it never was...
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
If you love something set it free. If it comes back to you it's yours, if it doesn't it never was...
Man, that's deep! Mind if I quote you on that?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM

Reviews: 21

Hells yes! That method works great in the short-term as well. I use it when studying too. Do it for one-two hours intensely, then go do something mindless like watch TV or play video games. When you come back, you find you're better off with the material.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:55 AM

Reviews: 3

Get an Acoustic.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 AM

Reviews: 5

I'm with the others who say take a break. There was a time I got up every morning and practiced for 2 hours before work (I think it lasted 2-3 months). I had a gig at the end of the 3 months of practicing, and I didn't play much better than I did at the beginning of the 3 months. I put the guitar away for a few months, picked it up again, and I was playing better than I ever did! There's been other times I didn't pick up my guitar for a few weeks, and I sounded better than I thought I would.

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , devin townsend , electric guitar , guitar playing , mike keneally , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode