hi-rez HD video editing on pc or mac - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

hi-rez HD video editing on pc or mac

alright you guys, first off, this is not going to be a pc vs. mac thing please! as you may know i am all for pc but don't mind apple... i have the iphone and ipod. never used the machines but have been thinking on getting one for video editing only. i have read everywhere that no one with mac has issues with when editing huge HD MOV clips. i am using a vista pc, i7, quad processor with 6 gigs ram. premiere pro cs4, and it locks! cs4 hates mov files! you should see the crazy workarounds these guys have for cs4 and mov file editing! damn, with all this craziness it's best to just keep shooting on tape and capturing in real time....then it would be done.

i find myself spending more time being a mad scientist of data and transcodings in my geek dungeon, than i do filming and being creative. i thought i could shoot and copy and drag the clips on the timeline from the mkii CF cards. not so! with my i7, it took a minute to render each minute of video. 2 hours of video, 2 hours to render. i could have used tape. then after that i have to wrap to mp4? man, what a hassle. from now on i'm using tape and capturing from my hd video cams and only using the mkii when i really need to. i hate to resort to that but this is crazy. my huge 2 hour mov timeline freezes and locks in cs4 when it feels like it. cs4 hates mov.

having said that....

i was actually thinking of selling this machine, and taking a little loss and getting a mac for video editing only. final cut. what mac do you suggest. i know it's easy to work with. i was thinking of the mac where the os is in the screen. no laptop. what do you suggest for video editing. AND if i were to do this.... will final cut handle avi and mpeg2 files that i shoot from my hd video cams? will final cut just capture via .mov then from my canon XH A1? thanks! i'm really not looking for this crazy mad scientist approach and just want stuff to work. i'm for mac if it's seamless and makes my job better.

i'm rendering the entire timeline... 2 hours.... and then will try again to import into encore. if that doesn't work then i will export to mpeg2, then import that file into cs4, then export to encore. what a pain. i may not go mac but if i shoot with the mkii i don't have time to transcode and recode, import again, and export to encore for DVD. that's crazy talk.

this thread is dedicated to Rotti who said in some other thread i'm a super nerd

thanks,
steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode