Highest educational attainment - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

View Poll Results: Your highest educational attainment
dropout before 8th grade 0 0%
completed 8th grade 0 0%
dropout from high school 2 6.06%
completed high school 0 0%
some college 4 12.12%
completed associate's degree 3 9.09%
completed bachelor's degree 13 39.39%
completed master's degree 5 15.15%
completed doctorate or professional degree 4 12.12%
other 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Highest educational attainment

While most of us are not professional musicians and have other jobs, come from different countries but share Ibanez, and are all different ages, I was curious how far you went in traditional schooling.

There was just a big self pat on back for our region, California, when our high school graduation rate surpassed 80% percent and one school near me in a poor neighborhood hit a 90% percent graduation rate.

While all schooling is important on all levels, the most important indicator of a nation's success has been a varied workforce that holds a very high literacy rate and rate of graduation from high school. While some poor nations obviously have little or no education, some have a disproportionate amount of holders of advanced degrees but nowhere locally to implement those skills. But one thing countries from the very poor to modern nations do need to have is that high rate of high school graduation.

But before I get political and start measuring up current and former California governors and their commitments to K-12 spending (what they spent versus what they should have spent, or what they spent versus what they promised to spend), I will stop right here.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-09-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:53 AM

Re: Highest educational attainment

i is a teechar! lol
post #3 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
i is a teechar! lol
you out and done well
post #4 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 12:07 PM

So far, just a BA, though I have a few professional designations under my belt, one of which (the CFA charter) is generally held to trump most MBA programs within my industry.

I finished the CFA last year, and I'm toying with either a MBA or a Master's in Econ next, but I wanted to take a year off between them and think about what exactly made the most sense for me. A PhD in Economics or Finance or some related pursuit is something that, in a vacuum, sounds appealing, but there aren't too many PhD programs out there designed to let you work while you pursue the degree, and my mortgage doesn't pay itself...
post #5 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 07:48 PM

Not yet a high school graduate. Two years
post #6 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 PM

Reviews: 2

Guess who the high-school drop-out is..................
post #7 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:00 PM

I wish I could drop out. I hate school. It's useless stuff I don't need.

Now I've opened a can of worms
post #8 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Even if you don't post here, vote in the poll. It's not a contest! There are only 12 votes in poll with 153 views?

Stats show in the USA the peak of the chart, or histogram, will show a peak around high school graduate up to "some college" with a sharp drop off before high school and after "some college". There are almost 20% percent of adults never finishing high school for various reasons (taking into account both citizens and illegal aliens or at least in California) and somewhere well over 20% percent completing 4 years of college or more (again in California). That leaves the majority with a high school diploma, and up to one semester to three semesters of college (probably close to 55%-60% percent composite total showing this common range as highest attainment). This median, with 13-14 years of education, is the highest ever and will probably drop off due to the higher price of college these days.

It will be interesting to see how this chart matches a similar chart that takes into account the nations represented from the members of Jemsite. I am making a probably faulty assumption that the vast majority here are Americans (which will show similar numbers, give or take, to California and their 80% percent high school graduation rate) and since there are a lot of nations with a higher high school graduation rate, Jemsite may outscore the USA in general. I suspect this is the case. Maybe only 15% percent of Jemsiters under high school diploma, 50% percent close to the average 13 year educational attainment level, and perhaps near 35% percent with bachelor's and above. With "smarter" nations like Japan, South Korea, Australia, Germany, and many others represented on Jemsite, we can outdo America.

Right now, the chart shows 41.67% percent with bachelor's degree which is nowhere close to any nation I can think of so the sample of people who visited and voted here is nowhere close to a representation of any national population. If that number holds very high after many, many votes, then it can be determined that Jemsiters are more educated than the rest of the world, and possibly Ibanez players are a very well schooled crowd! Of course I would have to have many more votes to make this claim.

http://www.clevelandfed.org/research...8/02regact.cfm

ps- I have also found in a smallish community like Jemsite who tend to know each other and don't feel a real sense of anonymity, the ones with the highest educational attainment (or largest guitar collections, or whatever) are the most likely to chime in on any given poll skewing the results from the actual number. Just like high school dropouts, and I suspect more than just the "one" who voted here, are not as likely to post just like the guitarists with just one Ibanez, like me, are not as likely to post a guitar family picture. But to me since I can only play one guitar at a time, I am more than OK with just one Ibanez, but as long as there is an Ibanez in the herd. But the herd is only three guitars anyway.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-07-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #9 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle am I View Post
I wish I could drop out. I hate school. It's useless stuff I don't need.

Now I've opened a can of worms
Yeah, that's what I thought too..............

This was the single biggest mistake of my life. You may find the lessons to be useless, but the doors that shut down hard if you don't finish will permanently cripple your ability to succeed in the future.

I've been working 2-3 full-time jobs since I was 15. The work is NEVER consistent, nor will your income ever be. Any dreams of fame or success will evaporate instantly the second you walk out the door. The main focus for the rest of your life will be sustenance- you will start to dream about stability.
post #10 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

This was the single biggest mistake of my life. You may find the lessons to be useless, but the doors that shut down hard if you don't finish will permanently cripple your ability to succeed in the future.

I've been working 2-3 full-time jobs since I was 15. The work is NEVER consistent, nor will your income ever be. Any dreams of fame or success will evaporate instantly the second you walk out the door. The main focus for the rest of your life will be sustenance- you will start to dream about stability.
For some people this holds true.

I have to express that probably the biggest lie of our time is that education=higher pay.

With the huge influx of non-college grad techies in an around San Jose who have made a killing in high tech from obvious examples like Zuckerberg, Jobs, and Ellison to many unknowns equally good at what they do in juxtaposition with tons of college grads and advanced degree holders who are seriously underemployed, I have seen a much different picture.

I think with this great recession, we will see a higher percentage of college grads struggling in this job market than non-college grads and stats have backed this nationally and not just in California. Of course, the highest unemployment sector of college grads over anybody else is largely sprinkled with those who are unwilling to take a job they consider too low for them.

I think what we will see is a whole class and generation of people with a lot of schooling but a broken work history. Remember many college grads may come from families that have discretionary income allowing those college grads to not have to work. This will only increase the unemployment rate of those with a college education. It is the most alarming among those who just finished college up to a few years out. They are moving back home in a massive migration not seen before.

The trend for most who are with college could be: 1) grow up with family, 2) move out and go to college and attain degree, and 3) move back home. This used to be rare but now it's the most common scenario. Since many are saddled with college student debt, there's almost no way to move out on own after college while still trying to whittle down debt. It's a big issue that doesn't see any easy resolution.

Without getting "political" here and making this a no-no topic, it's possible that with the withdrawing from two major wars will give Uncle Sam more funds for education and maybe tuition rates can then come down and make it closer to what it once was as an affordable option. Thirty or forty grand a year for college with a six or seven dollar an hour raise does not work out to be that good. Even if college guarantees a doubling of income, it still won't justify the cost unless we are talking about a long term 50 year career with gradually increasing income. Right now it's about $650 USD a week for high school grads with about $1,100 weekly for average college grad. Taking into account inflation and taxes, it will take a long time for $450 a week to whittle down a $100K student loan debt. There are a lot of scenarios where $1,100 dollars a week will never make it possible to knock out such a large student debt. What if you have kids, what if somebody gets sick, what if where you live has high rent/mortgage, etc?

It's a bleak picture for many.

I am not saying college is bad and I am glad I did it, but I went in knowing that college was not automatically any free ticket to having a better net worth after retirement. My teacher told me, "These days, college is more about self-enrichment and is no longer about making more money!" This was back in the late-70s but is more true today in 2014.

Yes, you make make more money per hour with college degree but with the reality of student loans, you will probably be in some student debt most of your working life but certainly have a smaller net worth at age 50 because you went to college for four years. This was not the case when the GI bill made many go to school after WWII, but perhaps with too many going to college through these means made a such a massive surplus of those with four years degrees and thus making it close to worthless in many cases. If anything, the advantage of a four year degree is non-existent in 2014.

It may just be another high school diploma, joining the diploma in similarly large numbers but not being much different in what if offers. All this time the high school diploma probably stays the same in earning power and is not discounted any by those with college degrees. In short a college degree holder is a high school diploma holder with four years of extra education to the employer. In most cases there is no added value of having a four year degree holder as an employee. There are a few special four year degree holders like engineers or military officers who may make more with added four years, but for most there will be no difference. Will a business, English, maths, sociology, psychology, liberal arts, or biology bachelor's degree holder make more in most jobs or should they?

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-07-2014 at 12:25 PM.
post #11 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Even a "lowly" 4-year degree will offer options not available to a high school drop-out. Hell, a two year certificate will open many doors not available to a drop-out.

The fact of the matter is that, regardless of the reasons why, there is a stereotype toward the average drop-out. We are seen as lazy, unmotivated, non-conformists that are willingly suckling off the teet of the majority. Of course, as with any stereotype, this is largely untrue. Regardless of the time, effort, and dedication that I put into myself, my family, and my community- I will always be considered an under-achiever.

BOT, it's generally accepted that a 4-year degree will not guarantee any chance of success but it WILL offer options.

The lack of a high school diploma WILL guarantee a lack of meaningful employment options- especially when the lack of employment for those with degrees is so high.....
post #12 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:16 PM

I have a B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering and am a registered Professional Engineer.
post #13 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

Yeah I'm going to finish it. I just hate it so much. It's horrific. It's unnecessary stress. Maybe it's just my neck if the woods.

I also can't stand how much society impacts the kids in my school. People care so much about a reputation that will last not 4 years that they throw any opportunities that they have away. I want to be whatever I can, I'll take it as it comes- if I can't be a guitar player for a living, then I'll happily pick up trash at the local park for money. I'd rather enjoy my life than waste it away trying to do something my heart isn't in.

There's another can of worms for ya
post #14 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle am I View Post
Yeah I'm going to finish it. I just hate it so much. It's horrific. It's unnecessary stress. Maybe it's just my neck if the woods.

I also can't stand how much society impacts the kids in my school. People care so much about a reputation that will last not 4 years that they throw any opportunities that they have away. I want to be whatever I can, I'll take it as it comes- if I can't be a guitar player for a living, then I'll happily pick up trash at the local park for money. I'd rather enjoy my life than waste it away trying to do something my heart isn't in.

There's another can of worms for ya
I feel ya man... I have a BS in Accounting which affords me plenty of opportunities where I live, but my heart sure ain't in it.

That's why I build guitars, hoping I can eek out a meager living doing that for awhile
post #15 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 06:51 PM

Reviews: 21

I spent my early 20's trying to do the rock guitarist thing. I never went to college. I was also horrible at math in high school.
Then in 2002 I found myself out of a job during the recession of that year. I opted to use the time to go to school. I had started writing novels and short stories by then. I considered an English degree or one in journalism but in researching for a novel I found myself loving science and wanting to understand math. I was a computer programmer in the 90's on a legacy system and wanted to upgrade my skills.
I decided to go for the computer science degree. After placement tests it was determined I needed to start at rock-bottom in math. I took 10 consecutive math classes, including doubling up in summer semesters, going from prealgebra to Calc 3 and Physics 3. I got my AA in Computer Science from community college and continued on for my bachelors. By then I was working full time in construction to pay the bills. The fact that a lot of professors didn't offer evening classes and that my head exploded midway through diff-eq I dropped out in my "junior" year. I was also fried after six years of school. (I know! I know the "Tommy Boy" joke! "Those people are called 'doctors'!") I had to take the extra time to slog through all that math and I padded my stats by taking lots of extra programming courses.
I'd like to get back into programming and I think if I were dropped in the deep end I'd be able to swim. But to develop chops that employers like I'd have to code a lot after hours. (I work in an office doing preconstruction btw.) I'm generally spent at the end of work and all I really want to do is chill out and do something mindless, write fiction, or play guitar.
Long and short of it. My AA has really helped. I know math and science which is also a huge help in the modern world. Maybe someday I'll get a job in the field I went to school for but things are okay now.
That's my story...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode