Home Gym/ Bowflex owners? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Home Gym/ Bowflex owners?

Anyone have one of these? I'm thinking of getting a Bowflex Ultimate 2 and was wondering if anyone had one, or used them at all. They are much cheaper on the used market, so you can get the expensive ones cheaply with a just a little looking (and a big car ).

So, anyone use a Bowflex, or a Soloflex or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:03 PM

Re: Home Gym/ Bowflex owners?

I've never used one, but if they are much cheaper or the used market, maybe that's a sign they're not so good? I mean if it's depreciated that much maybe people just wanna get rid of a dud? I remember seeing the infomercials with the 50 year old MILF's who were hot, but you know it's not all down to bowflex, there's clearly a little surgery involved.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:21 PM

Reviews: 1

I bought a used Soloflex on e b a y about 6-7 years ago e b a y for about $400 bucks (with all the attachments) and I really like it. While it hasn't completely replaced free weights (I still keep a couple of dumbells around), it gets the job done and it's much safer to use when you don't have a spotter.

I've had to replace a few bands over the years as some will wear out faster than others but that's all the maintenance I've had to do.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:36 PM

Save your money. I read someone where that sex burns 600 calories a pop and more if she is awake.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Save your money. I read someone where that sex burns 600 calories a pop and more if she is awake.
You burn even more if it is 'self-performed'. Of course you must remember to 'switch the grip' so you remain symmetrical.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:52 PM

I would skip the bowflex. I had a friend who had one a few years ago, and I just didn't like the feel of it. I think you can spend less money and get the bare necessities.

I think the average "non-body builder" type can get by just fine with something like a bench with a lat pulldown, leg curl, dip bar, etc.

I have a "mini-gym" in my garage with a weight tree, bench, all the bars and gagets I need, an exercise ball, and an elliptical, and it gets the job done. I probably didn't spend but a few hundred bucks on it (besides the elliptical, but I don't really use that thing anyway).
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 04:18 PM

I've got the Bowflex Blaze. I got it for myself for xmas. Around the hollidays they run some specials like 10-15% off or free shipping. It was just about $900 to the door. I couldnt justify the price difference for the higher end models for what I wanted to do with it.

So far my only complaints are that it completely kicks my azz if I do to much & the fact that it does take up quite a bit of space. One thing to consider that I did not before getting it assembled is as you use it & the rods come down it takes up about another 2' in width than I planned on, but fortunately I had the room.

Another consideration is if you are fairly strong you may max out the included resistance rods in certain excercises. This is easily fixed for a few bucks as there are optional rods available & a pair of extras sockets.

In my opinion after about 4 months is it works very well. Much better than I expected. If you put in 15 minutes a day 2-3 days a week it will make a difference for you. I was tough not spending the money on another guitar but I'm very happy with the Blaze.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540s View Post
I've got the Bowflex Blaze. I got it for myself for xmas. Around the hollidays they run some specials like 10-15% off or free shipping. It was just about $900 to the door. I couldnt justify the price difference for the higher end models for what I wanted to do with it.
I'm actually looking at a maxxed out 6 month old Ultimate 2 at about 800 bucks. I'm fairly sure I'm going to get it.

For those not familiar, these things weigh in close to 300 pounds, cost $200 to ship each way, so even the 'six week money back guarantee - try it free' promotion can cost you $400 to send the thing back because of the shipping. The warranties aren't transferable, so that further lowers the used price. Some people buy them, realize they are in way over their heads and sell them at a loss. That holds for all of these machines. A new Soloflex is $1800, but you see them for as little as 200 on the 'bay.

And whoever said they could burn 600 calories during romance, reality is about 25% of that
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
And whoever said they could burn 600 calories during romance, reality is about 25% of that
Well then the wife woke up....
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:

I think Sting claimed 7-8 hour sessions.... gotta burn 600 calories after that long
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I'm actually looking at a maxxed out 6 month old Ultimate 2 at about 800 bucks. I'm fairly sure I'm going to get it.

For those not familiar, these things weigh in close to 300 pounds,

That sounds like a score! I say go for it.

The 300 lbs!

One complaint I forgot about is just that! Fortunately it's not something we have to deal with on a regular basis. Where I get my packages shipped is up 18 stairs, After getting water thrown at me by the UPS driver who brought it up (I probably shouldnt have mentioned it was going right back down )then luggung it back down a piece at a time & loading it into my truck, bringing it all down to the basement once I got home & finally assembled it I was a beaten man.

I used it for about an hour that night anyway & ended up crawling on my hands & knees for the next 36 hours anytime I had to move
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:25 PM

No offence to anyone who owns one and likes it, but personally I wouldn't rate them (Bowflex) at all. Overpriced flimsy gimmicks.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:51 PM

To keep it simple:

You get little to no negative resistance which size building heavily depends upon.

If you want to burn calories, get some cardio, and just get some regular exercise, then it might be a decent buy.

If you want to progress and grow muscle, then this is not a worthwhile buy.

To explain it a little deeper I'd like to address the following myth:

"Dude, I don't want to get big and 'roided. I just want to stay cut".

This is nonsense because you don't get "big and 'roided" without steroids. This should never be anyone's concern because the average human being can't naturally look like Ronnie Coleman. Of course, there are exceptions, but very few. I guarantee you that those Bowflex models have done a cycle or two of steroids coupled with T3 and clenbuterol/albuterol.

Most people will "stay cut" by doing a strength and size building routine with a proper diet. You won't "stay cut" without building muscle. When you're lifting weights there comes a point that your muscles get used to what you're doing and without progress you won't achieve homeostasis, but will, instead, go catabolic and even shrink.

Your goal should be to get bigger and stronger. To be worried about getting "too big" is ridiculous. You won't get any bigger than you were already genetically predispositioned to without the addition of Steroids and/or HGH.

Personally, I'd get a gym membership, start playing soccer with friends on a weekly basis, etc. Establish things like this as routine and I PROMISE you, you'll get the results you want and save a load of cash you can spend on more guitars

If you really need home equipment, then invest in a cage with a smith press, etc. Those can be had for cheap these days.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post
No offence to anyone who owns one and likes it, but personally I wouldn't rate them (Bowflex) at all. Overpriced flimsy gimmicks.
Difficult to call it flimsy when the weakest parts have 12 year warranties and rest have lifetime...which one did you check out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
To keep it simple:

You get little to no negative resistance which size building heavily depends upon.

If you want to burn calories, get some cardio, and just get some regular exercise, then it might be a decent buy.

If you want to progress and grow muscle, then this is not a worthwhile buy.
This is primarily for my wife, who has a gym membership and goes about 12 hours a week, but also has 4 children and can't go everyday. I will be using it as a supplement to my 10 hours of weekly karate training. I have no desire at all to turn into a muscle bound Hulk Hogan type and won't set my lovely bride up with a weight bench to work out by herself. My personal goal is to get smaller and stronger (and possibly faster), not bigger and stronger.

Last edited by jim777; 04-14-2008 at 06:26 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Difficult to call it flimsy when the weakest parts have 12 year warranties and rest have lifetime...which one did you check out?
The warranties are non-transferable so they arent worth the paper they're printed on.

Most people sell them within a few months after realising how useless they are (thats why you can them so cheap). So they never have to pay out on the warranty.

There have been a couple of massive recalls on these machines. One a couple of years ago, and one recently. They were basically falling apart with users on them, causing all sorts of injuries and lawsuits.

Quality aside, i don't have time for any of these infomercial fad/gimmick products. Just my opinion, sorry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode