Home Theater receivers? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Home Theater receivers?

Anyone familiar with what is out there, and how they work, etc? My 10 year old JVC has given up the ghost, and I'd like to get something to run the few things I have (Vizio 42", CD player, DVD/VHS player, digital cable box). Currently the TV plays through its own speakers, but I'd rather it go through my stereo speakers with the new head and have it jsut function as a monitor. I was looking at a Sony STR-DG820, but not for any particular reason other than it was cheap enough

Anything I need or should avoid? I don't need crazy high tech here, but enough to run 5.1 anyway and the crap I have.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:03 PM

Re: Home Theater receivers?

I can recommend Denon. Very good quality and not too expensive.

Also a similar nod to Yamaha as well.

I'd buy either of those before I consided Sony.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 PM

Pioneer receivers are top notch, and I agree on the Denon as well. Stay away from any and all things Sony. Sony is an evil empire that kill kittens. So if you like kittens, stay away from Sony.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:46 PM

I have a Kenwood thats about 3 or 4 years old now. I got it on clearance then and it sounds very good.

Adam
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:54 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Nowadays anything not sold in a kit is good. What i think is the most important thing for you Jim is finding one with ample inputs/outputs, especially component and HDMI so that all video/audio switching can occur there and only there. that greatly simplifies use.

IMPORTANT - TV/video will it feed and what components will plug into it (dvd, cablebox, hdtv/sd?, etc.)

in the past most quality receivers lacked enough proper inputs (video, then s-video along with matching digital audio, then component now HDMI) so that it's a real PITA. You want to have all the components outputting the same video signal to avoid switching the TV input, switching the receiver input and hoping to remember which is what. Of the brands i'd look to avoid Sony and Yamaha and look first at Onkyo & Denon myself. the KISS theory applies more than ever here... glen
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

I want something that I can plug everything into, and then just have a single digital (HDMI?) or optical cable to the TV. I suppose it would be nice if I could hook the Xbox up to it as well
Any thoughts on specific models, rather than companies? I want something new, and under $400. I'm reading good things about the Onkyo TX-SR606, anyone have one of those bad boys? I see it at about 370 but that's without Live.com's cashback
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:03 PM

Jim, i'll have a few specific suggestions for you in a day or so. What xbox? what video out does it have? what exact cable box do you have?

No quality loss on switching whatsoever. it's all or nothing with digital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
in the past most quality receivers lacked enough proper inputs (video, then s-video along with matching digital audio, then component now HDMI) so that it's a real PITA. You want to have all the components outputting the same video signal to avoid switching the TV input, switching the receiver input and hoping to remember which is what.
Question for you on video switching. (I haven't done that and my current Denon AVR is too old to have HDMI). Do you lose any signal quality by running your video connections through your receiver? Currently all my video inputs go directly to my TV from their respective sources.

Quote:
Of the brands i'd look to avoid Sony and Yamaha
I'm curious what you felt was bad about Yamaha? I hadn't heard any negatives about them and thought they were on a higher tier than Sony.

Last edited by jemsite; 08-19-2008 at 05:19 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:17 PM
site founder 0% owner

yamaha and sony tend to have lame proprietary "surround surround modes" that make no sense and overcomplicate things. Sony is just totally overpriced and worse for sure. Yamaha isn't bad there is just no compelling reason to buy their stuff imho.

He'll want to use Digital Dolby or DTS (5.1 probably) surround for movies, 2-channel (direct bypassing DSPs) for audio and perhaps 5-channel stereo for sports (if you find 5.1 sports highly, highly annoying) and Mono for old movies (filmed in mono). Anything more ruins the source audio material... glen
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:09 PM

I second Onkyo.

Brilliant bang for your buck. Although they're often "ugly" (the new ones especially).
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Can you take the output of the digital cable box and put it directly into the Onkyo, and then run just video to the display? That would be perfect, as my old Polk speakers still sound great and I'd rather run everything through them.
As for the Xbox, I have the original one, but I can probably just hook that straight up to the TV so no real worries there. The Xbox isn't a deal breaker The cable box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD. Seems kind of plain vanilla.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:08 PM
site founder 0% owner

Yes.

Does your explorer 3250HD have HDMI out? Does it also have component (red/green/blue) video out RCA jacks? ...glen
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:25 AM

I have a Yamaha, a friend has an Onkyo, and another a Pioneer, all around the same price point. They all sound good, and have plenty of inputs, but are high end models.

I'm not sure about the Onkyo and Pioneer, but my Yamaha takes various types of video input signals(from a VCR, sattelite t.v, an XBOX 360, and a DVD) and outputs a HDMI signal to my t.v. It saves a lot of wires and mess.

Of the major brands, the only one I would actively avoid is Sony. Not enough bang for your buck imho. Denon are good value for money, I looked at one when I bought the Yamaha, it was about the same quality and cost a bit less, but wasn't as powerful (loud).

Good luck finding what you are after.

Rock on!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:09 AM
site founder 0% owner

Jim, at $400 i highly recommend this onkyo factory refurb ...it does everything you want and more with alot of future-proof stuff and inputs. very, very good.
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=f

$395
http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp...e=EWB082018EML
9 left

If you want silver and no refurb B&H has them $70 more.. glen
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Yes.

Does your explorer 3250HD have HDMI out? Does it also have component (red/green/blue) video out RCA jacks? ...glen

No HDMI, but it does have the component jacks. It appears to have an optical out and a DVI out as well, though I honestly don't know what they're for or if they're inputs or outputs

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/Pro...D_HDTV_DVD.pdf

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/Pro...S_HDTV_DVD.pdf

And that Onkyo looks fine to me Glen, is that a step up from the 606?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 AM
site founder 0% owner

same price the 7 is a no brainer... more HD inputs and component video upconverting to 1080i.

on your box you need to connect via component or dvi/hdmi for actual HDTV... glen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode