Home Theater / Stereo - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Home Theater / Stereo

Any home theater lovers in here? I know you're out there. I am running a Pioneer Elite Player, Nakamichi receiver, and Definitive Technology 5 piece speaker system. Sadly, the Nakamichi does not have analog inputs, so DVD Audio and Super Audio CD won't go through. Player reads em, but receiver can't receive it. Has anyone heard these formats and are they as good as they are supposed to be? I remember reading that it sounded like a wet towel had been lifted off of the speakers after one reviewer heard them. Gotta love the surround sound though, I still remember when I first got a banging system and watched "The Matrix" at pants-flapping volumes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 03:19 PM

Re: Home Theater / Stereo

Oh man, I could really get into home theater stuff if only I was rich. It's just SO expensive for high end gear but if I had the disposable income I would be totally into it. I'd build the big home theater room and everything. Right now I just have a very modest surround system and sub.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 03:25 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

you don't need "high end gear" for nice home theatre... you can get 80% reasonably (not ordering from crutchfield or bestbuy) with good speakers and the right components... after that you spend a disproportionate amount of $$$$ to improve the sounds that most might not be able to hear. it is amazing how good even the "low end" stuff has gotten.

anyways, we need to keep a running "home theater" thread here... i'll update my theater stuff ASAP. as some of you recall from previous threads, i have significantly downsized and migrated to an emphasis on "theatre" over 2-channel stereo music.

Here is my HOME THEATRE SETUP

.. glen

Last edited by jemsite; 11-18-2006 at 05:09 PM.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, technology has really come leaps and bounds in the last few years.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 04:19 PM
waz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk420 View Post
Yeah, technology has really come leaps and bounds in the last few years.
100% agreed.
A friend of mine recently purchased a new big screen Toshiba tv and as a deal sweetener, the shop manager threw in a Sony "All in one" home cinema kit.

Both my friend and myself have been into home cinema for several years, paying big money for Yamaha and Denon amps, good quality speakers aswell as branded DVD players etc. He gave me a demo of the new tv and sony kit and I was stunned at the quality.

It actually worked out well for me too because I ended up buying his Yamaha kit and speakers at a knock down price lol.

It now seems you don't need to spend big money to get that big home cinema experience.

Cheers
Mark
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 04:26 PM

A film is a film.Does it really matter?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 04:36 PM

Oh yeah, it matters.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 04:48 PM
waz

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
A film is a film.Does it really matter?
That all depends on if you're heavily into your films pal, for me personally it matters, my Mrs would say exactly the same as you did, although she still refuses to go round with the popcorn
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 05:09 PM

Once you go surround, you never go back...I'm using a Onkyo HT-R520 1000W 5.1 system
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 05:10 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

i quickly tweaked my homether page... i'll try to add pics of the stuff and seating area sometime... glen

Here is my HOME THEATRE SETUP

ps - if a "film is a film" then a "guitar is a guitar" ... save that debate for another thread please!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 05:18 PM

someone's got some bling bling.....
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 06:53 PM

Nice setup Glen. You should realy add some pics of the whole thing. Here are a few more nice home theaters...

http://www.dillonworks.com/portfolio...ter/index.html

http://theater.stevejenkins.com/gallery/complete/

Those are two that realy impressed me.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 06:55 PM

You'd think with all the money spent on the second one they would have went with Crestron for the controls instead of Marantz.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 07:41 PM

That second one is more about the room than the equip. I guess.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 07:45 PM

I guess,
I've done theaters in rooms like that, but it always brings me down when people are doing something like that but they cut corners on something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode