Honest Opinion (not a pic thread) - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Honest Opinion (not a pic thread)

I'm considering joining the Army Reserves

anyone here serve before? if so, can u tell be the biggest pro's and cons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Honest Opinion (not a pic thread)

huge con is our president & regime.

you don't have to serve to know there are no "pros" at this time... glen
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

well thank you glen for your input

the biggest issue with me is, I need a job and now a days you can't get a job without expierence, I've tried but how am I suppose to get expierence if all jobs require expierence? it's like a catch 22 of sorts.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_UV777 View Post

the biggest issue with me is, I need a job and now a days you can't get a job without expierence, I've tried but how am I suppose to get expierence if all jobs require expierence? it's like a catch 22 of sorts.
I rather have a crappy job than make some money from the army and die in service which many I know have or others that I know who are not the same since they served, whether it is physical or mental. maybe try and start small and work your way up, I know money is in much demand for everyone but there are small starter jobs that might help you out in the future. Maybe get a job at a music store or a bookstore, if you work at a bookstore maybe you'd have some time to check out books in the medical field since I know you are interested in neurology and psychology
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

don't do it.

you get another mini-napoleon as pres. in 20 years and you're in your late 40s, with family, kids and steady job, maybe overweight or with an arthritic knee ... in a flash you're overseas in some useless "war" hauling gear and dodging bullets for some irrational cause.

the most unprepared people in iraq (by fault of our us government) are from the "reserves". you'd do better at any meager job with pension and healthcare.... glen
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
don't do it.

you get another mini-napoleon as pres. in 20 years and you're in your late 40s, with family, kids and steady job, maybe overweight or with an arthritic knee ... in a flash you're overseas in some useless "war" hauling gear and dodging bullets for some irrational cause.

the most unprepared people in iraq (by fault of our us government) are from the "reserves". you'd do better at any meager job with pension and healthcare.... glen
Gosh Glen - I had no idea it was that bad. I'd say in times of trouble, stay away from the Reserves - even the name of the role should cause a bit of caution.

Unfortunately I have absolutely no suggestions to help you career wise at the same time, however good luck in whatever venture you do embark upon.

David
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:37 PM

Surely (don't take my word for it) there are other jobs you could get besides the Army Reserve?
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:39 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_UV777 View Post

Work experience. A lot of well-established places will let you work for them for a week or so for free purely for something to put on your CV. I've a friend who wants to get into radio and broadcasting and she's gathered quite an impressive portfolio of past experience by doing this. You just gotta put yourself out there and get in contact with people.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:42 PM

If you are doing it for the money only, then dont do it. Because it is a job you cannot quit. You will not get raises unless your rank changes. If you have a superior that dislikes you then you will be SOL.

If you want to join to give something back to your country or to alleviate the burden of soldiers already serving overseas, then by all means take that step.
But first sit with your family and have an honest discussion about the risks of what you are doing, and that service requirements you may have to fulfill may take you and you in the way of peril.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
don't do it.
I agree, you don't have the right demeanor for it Ed. Nothing agaisnt the military at all and they have some great bennies. (and do take care of their people) I know MANY folks that either are or have served and EVERY ONE of them will attest to that Some people are just overly bitter (not mentioning any names of course) I'm just saying don't do it because I wouldn't think it to be your cup of tea and right now is NOT good timing.

But then again, what do I know anyhow?? Talk to our "classifieds watchdawg" He can give you much more insight than I on the pro's and cons

I can relate 100% on the job scene. Hang in there buddy. Keep an open mind and follow your interests
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 10:51 PM

I spent seven years drilling with the Marine Reserve.

There are plenty of negatives to millitary service, but there are good reasons to serve. There are also good and bad contracts offered by the military. Some people with high test scores sign good contracts with their choice of job and a fat bonus. Many others, without realizing it, sign open contracts which give the service more power over them. There's a smart way and a stupid way to sign up and serve.

If you are considering serving to gain work experience, investigate different jobs. Aircraft or helicopter mechanics get good experience that carries over into well-paying jobs in civilian aviation. Dishwashers get great experience washing dishes, and after their service is over, they can use it to get a job . . . yep, you guessed it. So it's possible to do exactly what you have planned, but you have to choose your job, and that's only possible if you have a high enough score on the test.

Like others have pointed out, a time-honored way to gain experience is to start out at an entry-level position, work hard, show ambition, and move up as you learn. What's your educational level?

As far as the "not the right time" issue goes, you definitely have a higher chance of going to play in the sandbox at this time in history. But some units deploy more than others. If you are considering the Reserve, there are probably a couple units near you. Ask your recruiter questions like, how many soldiers got activated from this unit, how many times has this unit been deployed in the last five years, does this unit deploy overseas, etc. Recruiters hate questions like these. They don't lie, they just don't offer all the information you need.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 PM

Don't do it just for job experience. It's not the sort of job you can walk away from if you decide you don't like it. Plus, it's a bit risky at the moment.

There are plenty of other ways to get your foot in the door. Have you concidered doing some unpaid work experience? If you impress the boss, he/she will probably write you a stellar recommendation, if not offer you a job outright. It's all about creating a good impression.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and...

Rock on!
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 04:23 AM

Great option if you have nothing else going. The economy is so poor in so many parts of the country, I don't think it is a bad idea.

Right out of high school, I served 6 years active duty in the Marine Corps, spent nearly two years in South America, some time in Africa and a year in Cuba on Guantanamo Bay. No regrets, and I feel like I matured much faster than my peers who decided to go to college or go right in to the work force in factories or in the trades.

The VA paid 100% of my college - books, classes, lab materials etc. Unfortunately this benefit came as a result of a 30% disability rating - now increased to 70% - but I get free medical care (for the service connected disabilities) for the rest of my life and I am compensated monetarily until the day I die.

I made some lifelong friends, who put me where I am today by introducing me to my wife and sharing with me the great state of Michigan (which has such a deficit that they are talking about closing the state government.) Five children and a great job with #191 of the Fortune 500 and the second largest distributor of soft drinks in NA - The Pepsi Bottling Group.

Invaluable lessons and experiences that not even the most successful doctors, lawyers or rockstars will never experience.

There are many more intangible benefits; understanding what honor is, comraderie, teamwork, leadership, sacrifice, respect, morals, ethics. Which class do they teach that in at the university, or in job training for McDonalds, Vinnie's Construction company or Hot Topic?

If this is what you decide to do, make sure you choose a useful job - aircraft mechanic, diesel mechanic, computer repair, administration etc. You can be guranteed a specific specialty - there's your job experience. Infantry, while a great job (IMHO) is not going to get you a job anywhere. But understand that any or all can be deployed to the worst hole in the world.

That's not to say that it is not a dangerous job - nor the best choice for you - but for me; I'd never had done anything differently.

...great now I am late for work....
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 05:39 AM
Eco

In the current political climate i'd probably look elsewhere first, but if your going to go for it, make sure you try and get training in something i.e. aircraft/avionic technician then at least when you come out in a few years, you have a good trade to go into and some good training and background behind you.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Banned

my pal joined the army,he was crying to come home after3 weeks,they made him sleep in snow,spend the night in a swamp,forget about it man,joining the army=no guitar

Tags
music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode