House updates: end of June - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

House updates: end of June

Here are some photos of the house we are having built as of a few days ago. It was locked but my brother (pictured) got in through the basement window to let us in. I couldn't get in through the basement due to the ankle recovery. Our new home is scheduled to be done end of June and it can't come fast enough....living with the mother-in-law since Jan 1st starting to take its toll.

This is our first new house, coming from apartments and a townhome for a couple years...it will be nice to have a basement...recording studio...and a garage! I'm excited and yet freaked by it.

ceramic tile in kitchen. it was worth the little extra to have them do it. tired of laying tile!

side of house you see here will be the "garden backyard." not too big and not too small. just enough for the dogs and BBQ's. all homes come with the tall white privacy fencing and front porches. garages are in the back of the house, creating a cleaner front look, like old neighborhoods in chicago.

loft, which will act as my office / studio until the basement gets finished (who knows when.) loft window looks out front of home.

hall from loft to bedrooms. house has 3 bed, 2.5 bath, basement, 2 car garage. nice-sized living room downstairs. when i move to the basement, the loft will become another tv room. i had canned lighting in all rooms. no lamps or end tables in this house! not many upgrades. just the deluxe master which has the larger walkin bath and closet and canned lights with ceramic tile.

Steve

Last edited by shredmaster; 05-12-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 02:37 PM

Re: House updates: end of June

Congrats, looks like its coming along nicely. Keep us updated for sure.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 02:38 PM

I like the Brick front...gives it that old Chicago vibe you were speaking of.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 02:39 PM

That's beautiful, man...I hope I can provide something like that for my family someday...when I have a family of my own
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 02:52 PM

Shred, looking very very nice, congrats.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 03:17 PM

Reviews: 6

Lovely home. Congratulations!!! It'd be nice to have a house... I need to have an income and all that first though....
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 03:17 PM

Congrats man!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys! we can't wait, especially me! i outgrew the townhome the day we moved in! no storage, no basement, only 1 car garage (used for storage), guitars in the walkin closet and in the master bedroom. we really needed the room! it's going to be tight financially but we just jumped in and said screw it...have to do it eventually. plus i wanted a little backyard for the dogs; they never had one. had to borrow a little money to put down as well...had to scrape and we just barely made it. the value of the home already went up by $9k since they started building. that's nice. if i had the money i would buy another, rent it out and sell in 5 years or so. the area went from nothing to booming in 2 years. i will get you guys more photos as it comes together more.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 03:48 PM

looks good, and now everytime i see tyvek I think of my wallet cause it is made from it and it looks like paper and every1 is like amazed about it
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:28 PM

Reviews: 120

Awesome, good stuff! That looks like an awesome place you got for yourself.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 07:22 PM

..... sooooo, Jemsiters got a place to stay when they visit Chicago......?

seriously, looking great - space, more space, and even more space is a wonderful thing to have.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 08:43 PM

That looks fantastic shred.
One thing i noticed in your pics, how close the houses are on either side of you.
Is that like that throughout Chicago?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Ibanezgirl, yes, the homes are a little closer than what i would want. that is how they are in the city. it's not that much of a big deal to me, as i get used to it more. not much yard space either, but as i said, it's more than enough room for the dogs and to hang out...and plus, not really that much grass to cut. it's not small, but not huge.

david, once the studio is complete, the basement finished, i'm going to have the studio there. living in crammed quarters for a handful of years, i had to store stuff such as mics and mixers in separate closets and pull them out as needed. not anymore. any jemsiter in the chicago area is more than welcome to come over and record....Bam may be the first.

Steve

Last edited by shredmaster; 05-14-2007 at 08:46 AM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:04 AM

Reviews: 18

Nice house Steve, congrats! What are you going to do in the basement with regards to flooring? Are you going to tile or lay carpet for the studio area? I'm very interested in seeing how it comes along when you start the project. Too bad I live in the DC area, otherwise I'd come give you a hand with that.

Jimmy
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

the basement is a decent size. half will be carpeting with a tv and couch in the back with a corner bar...and eventually a pool table down the road. the other half, the studio half, i have to frame off for the studio. it won't be too big. i need to figure out how i'm going to work it. i want a decent sized room for the control room, about the size or your average bedroom, which will also act as the editing suite for photo and video production. i want an adjoining room large enough for drums with a little more space for comfort. and a closet-sized room next to that completely covered in foam just big enough for guitar cabs. there won't be any live rooms....i would need the entire basement for that. i just want 3 rooms:

one room with carpet and some foam on the walls for the drum room. maybe a window looking in from this room to the control room.

control room: i think i'm going to lay down the pergo wood flooring. i like how easy it is for chairs to slide across the floor, as well as cabinets or rack gear in the rack unit furniture. i will have some foam on the walls in the control room.

small closet-sized area with foam for guitar cabs or large enough for someone to sit in for acoustic guitars....and for the vocalist.

i want my guitars to hang in the control room.

not sure when this will get done. a good friend of mine, bassist, is going to help with framing it off and drywalling....he does this for a living...cool.

I already have the pro tools studio gear, mics, racks, everything....just need to build the place for it. Thanks for offering to help Jimmy, i wish you lived closer as well....hehe.

Steve

Tags
acoustic guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode