In Houston, what to do? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
In Houston, what to do?

We're on a lil holiday to Houston just to get away and visit some friends.
We leave Monday.
Any must do besides the sports stuff?
We're seeing the 'Strohs' tomorrow night. Had some good TX BBQ at Carl's

What else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:20 AM

Re: In Houston, what to do?

Gabe lives in Houston. Give him a shout. You could invite him over to your hotel for a jemsiter drink at the bar.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

we're staying @ our friend's house...
I was thinking he was in Galveston.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:43 AM

Hey, I am in Houston right now!

I can recommend some up-scale restaurants if you want.

There is a new park close to the downtown convention center that is beautiful, you should check that one out.

If you are looking for a guitar store, i went to one called Rockin Robins and that was quite an experience.

There is Six Flags Astro World if you like theme parks, but i went there a couple years ago but didn't really like it.

hmm...but other than that, and shopping (the Galleria mall is really nice, also the Highland Park), I don't really know what else. I really just come here either for concerts or to visit my sister.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

We went there yesterday with the kids before the Astros lost to the Rockies.
We ate at the southwest grill before the game, and the kids played in the water park. It was pretty nice. Yesterday, I got out for about 2 hours and hit 7-8 pawn shops to see if they had any diamonds in the rough, but alas, all cruddy, 3rd rate guitars. I haven't done the Pawn shop thing since I was stationed in CO. and I used to find deals like crazy there.

Friday we took the kids to NASA, which was ok, I think I would have enjoyed it more, had the lines for the tram been shorter. Kids don't wait in line very well, so I ended up watching them run around the kid areas the whole day.

Last night kind of brought the whole trip to a halt.
The people we're staying with have a dog and 2 cats. as soon as we got back from the game, the dog tried to nip both of my boys in the face.
He was eating and they came within about 5 feet, and he lunged. Kinda sucks because he'd been very good with the kids until then. Black Lab. The owners are sick with guilt about if something happened, luckily my kids moved pretty quickly, but the issue still remains. not the best part of the trip.
pics

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 AM

The boys are getting big, Mike!

Hope your trip goes well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, 3 and 5, but they have been off the scales developmentally since day one. trip is going ok, we drive back to Chicago tonight.
We're going to spend the day at the local water park with the kids, get some sun, relax.
Only 1097 miles each way.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:26 PM

Smile Re: In Houston, what to do?

Check out Southpaw Guitars. As a lefty I have always wanted to visit that shop but have never made it to Houston. I believe it is mostly a Lefty store but also has some right-handed for those of you who play it the wrong way! LOL
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Checked out Guitar World off the 610.
Nice lil shop.
Nothin I needed, but a nice lil shop.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
There is Six Flags Astro World if you like theme parks, but i went there a couple years ago but didn't really like it.
LOL. Man, Astroworld closed down about 4 or 5 years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

where do i get an electric violin in houston
houston guitar show

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode