How to copyright my stuff... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
How to copyright my stuff...

I did a search on Jemsite and couldn't find anything...then did some surfing on the net and all I got was a headache

I experience some discomfort with the idea of putting stuff (music, documents, etc.) out on the internet and was thinking maybe music and stuff we create should be copyrighted before we throw it out there into cyberspace... I see all kinds of people putting their original music out there on youtube and I can't help but wonder if they have protected their stuff with copyright.... Do you guys & gals on Jemsite do this? If so - any recommendations on where to start? Or am I being paraniod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: How to copyright my stuff...

Most music stores should carry the standard copyright forms. We used to obtain them by calling the Library Of Congress and they sent them out to you...That was when cassettes were still big, and copyrighting a song was $5.00...Last time I copyrighted something it was $25.00 I believe...

I use the PA form. You can also copyright a group of songs under one banner (as in a medley type deal!) for the single price, or each one for an individual price. See if your local store has any of them or can get them. They come in a yellow folder with instructions...

Also the date you make your music available will be dated online, I'm sure their is some sort of protection with the dating...Maybe not though.

The other thing you can do is mail a copy to yourself and keep the envelope sealed with the date intact...That way if someone rips you off the date will most likely pre date theirs...Unless you ripped them off of course.

Also look into either BMI or ASCAP to see what they offer...

Very important to remember that the only copyrightable part of a song is the melody and the lyrics. A chord progression can't be copyrighted!

And thank you for not using the term "copywritten" I hate that...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Just realized you were in Canada...This is the procedure for the US, I would guess there is a similar protocol where you are though... If my whole post winds up being useless for you...sorry...

Maybe check here

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipoint...h_wr00003.html
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Re: How to copyright my stuff...

Some great info in your reply - thanks! I like the idea of sealing something and mailing it to yourself - very clever also cost effective...

I checked the link and it looks like it costs $50 - $65 to copyright something here in Canada - I hope that's not per song...not sure how that works...I need to research that more...

I never thought of checking in the music store...guess I'm usually too busy ogling all the amps, pedals & guitars when I'm in there

That's also interesting that you can only copyright the melody & lyrics - didn't know that either...some great info in your reply that will help get me going - thanks!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Some great info in your reply - thanks! I like the idea of sealing something and mailing it to yourself - very clever also cost effective...
That's why I put that down...$$$ is the most important factor

Quote:
I checked the link and it looks like it costs $50 - $65 to copyright something here in Canada - I hope that's not per song...not sure how that works...I need to research that more...
It is per song, however...I know in the US you can put 5 songs on a disc send the lyrics along with them and copyright it as a compilation by the author/s

Quote:
I never thought of checking in the music store...guess I'm usually too busy ogling all the amps, pedals & guitars when I'm in there
When I managed stores years ago, we used to carry them...this is of course in the US...Not sure how that affects you in Canada

Quote:
That's also interesting that you can only copyright the melody & lyrics - didn't know that either...some great info in your reply that will help get me going - thanks!!!
Well, the song is copyrighted as a whole, but the only copyrightable part of the song is the melody and lyrics. In fact, as long as every 5th note is different in a melody line, legally (not ethically) the melody line is considered to stand alone.

This is of course a general rule, and specific rules will change. Obviously if you changed every 5th note of the melody line to Stairway To Heaven, it would be a clear case for an arbitrator or judge...At least I would think

Years ago I would make sure that I had a hand in all melodies and lyrics because I wanted the credit and any $$$ from it. Guys who write the chord progression are legally not the writers of a song. They simply help with the arrangements.

Last edited by DEADTUNES666; 01-20-2011 at 12:40 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
That's why I put that down...$$$ is the most important factor

It is per song, however...I know in the US you can put 5 songs on a disc send the lyrics along with them and copyright it as a compilation by the author/s

When I managed stores years ago, we used to carry them...this is of course in the US...Not sure how that affects you in Canada

Well, the song is copyrighted as a whole, but the only copyrightable part of the song is the melody and lyrics. In fact, as long as every 5th note is different in a melody line, legally (not ethically) the melody line is considered to stand alone.

This is of course a general rule, and specific rules will change. Obviously if you changed every 5th note of the melody line to Stairway To Heaven, it would be a clear case for an arbitrator or judge...At least I would think

Years ago I would make sure that I had a hand in all melodies and lyrics because I wanted the credit and any $$$ from it. Guys who write the chord progression are legally not the writers of a song. They simply help with the arrangements.
A perfect example of this, is the lawsuit Queen lost against Vanilla Ice.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 PM

email it to yourself and save the email. It will date/time stamp it
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 12:09 AM

Reviews: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsak View Post
You can fudge your computers date. Hard to fudge a postmark. Can even go in and ask for them to do a clear one.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsak View Post
That doesn't works,it only prooves you were the first sending it but doesn't prooves you actually created that stuff.

I copyrighted all my stuff according to USA laws which is globally.
Through its site you just have to upload your song(s),books,poems whatever and pay for each one,if I can remember I payed 20 dollars for each song.
After 2 months I received(by mail) a letter saying all those songs I sent were worldwide protected and I could put that copyrighted figure on my cds.

Again= sending your stuff to yourself will only proove you send it it first ,example= your friend created a song,YOU burned a cd and sent to yourself.
See you didn't created that song,you just were the first sending it.
If somebody copy your song no jury would accept your letter as a proove that you were its creator.

USA Copyright FAQ = I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.

Take a look in their site for further info = http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

When you need important info don't ask strangers,go directly to its source

Tags
copyright

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode