How do you go about copywriting your music? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb How do you go about copywriting your music?

So I've just recently started writing my own music and I wanna know how you go about copywriting your music so that other people can't take it and claim it as their own. It's really one of my main fears because I want to share my music with other people but at the same time I've already seen people take ownership of what's not theirs so I just want to know what I shoudl do. Thanks in advance and I appreciate any and all help anyone can give me on this topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 12:08 AM

Re: How do you go about copywriting your music?

Ghetto copyright = put your music on a CD and mail it to yourself. The postage date is printed on there when it goes through the post office
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 12:24 AM

Reviews: 1
Talking Re: How do you go about copywriting your music?

Doesn't hold up for squat in court.
Go to the US Copyright office's website http://www.copyright.gov/ and download the forms you need for what ever type of work you are submitting. Create a lead sheet with at least the basic chord changes, and a melody line, and lyrics, (If any) and a copy of the work. Write a check for 30 bux for each work and send it off to:
Library of Congress
Copyright Office
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20559-6000

Depending on various things, you may get your copyright cert. back in 8-12 weeks, for me, it took aver 13 mos, last song I copyrighted, due to the anthrax scare and the implementation of sniffing equipment. Everything was put on hold until they could verify that things were clean.

Anyway, IMO the more thourough you are about depicting and describing the work to be copyrighted, the better your chances are in court if it should ever arise.

Hope this helps.

One other trick if the 30 bus per work is a tad much, you can put a number of songs together and name it a 'suite' and copyright the 'suite' saves $ on a large number of songs and you're still protected.

Good luck,

Bamm

Last edited by bammbamm; 05-16-2005 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Lacking punctuation.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
due to the anthrax scare
Thankfully the original line-up is back together. I'm not scared anymore.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:36 AM

im going to to remember this! thanks folks!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:38 AM

You might want to send it to your country's copyright office instead of the US office.

Bamm
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
Doesn't hold up for squat in court.
Go to the US Copyright office's website http://www.copyright.gov/ and download the forms you need for what ever type of work you are submitting. Create a lead sheet with at least the basic chord changes, and a melody line, and lyrics, (If any) and a copy of the work. Write a check for 30 bux for each work and send it off to:
Library of Congress
Copyright Office
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20559-6000
yeah, copyright them all under a "collection of works." meaning, an album title. instead of spending the $30 per song you are copyrighting them all under album name "ABC." also you can just send a cd of the music, you don't need chord charts or anything anymore.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 06:16 PM

I live in the UK and I mailed my CD to my bank manager and asked him nicely if he'd put it with the deeds to my property. I checked this with a mate who is a solicitor and he said it was safe as houses !!

Ben
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 11:53 PM

Sure, It'll be safe, no one will take it from the bank, but as far as prooving it's your music??? I'd check with a few more people before trying to take that one to court.

BAmm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode