How does Radio Shack stay in business? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

How does Radio Shack stay in business?

Every time I'm forced to buy something there, as a last resort. There is no one but me there. I don't see stuff flying off the shelves, like a Circuit City or Best Buy. I just don't see how they can stay open.

Last edited by Darin; 03-09-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 02:04 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: How does Radio Shack stay in business?

No clue.
The people there are a general nuisance if you need anything.
You say "I need X", they say, "Why, what do you need it for?"
I don't feel like explaining my project to these nimrods in the 1st place, but then the doofus is determined to know.
So, I indulge, and they look a bit puzzled, then make a suggestion that has no use to me whatsoever, and then I say, "NO, just give me what I asked for"...then the blank stare..."Uhh, we don't have any." So, then I go find it myself and walk out annoyed and tell my wife how stupid the world seems to be, and I'm sure she doesn't wanna hear it.

I think it was Cid who said he'd been to a party with a bunch of Radio Shack dolts and they were essentially carbon copies of one another.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:57 PM

I have saved a fortune over the years buying Radio Shack rechargable batteries.

I don't know how their mainstay retail does: DVD, CD players, Audio video gear and the such. But they do have most of the little nuggets that keep most electronic gear going.

Strange nerdy types always manning the cash register.

I don't mind.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 05:14 PM

The one near me does nothing but sell phone plans.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 08:05 PM

Yeah they seem to have shelves and shelves of stuff, but never what I'm looking for . . . who stocks their shelves anyway? And whats with all the RC cars - don't they know nobody plays with those anymore?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 10:09 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
No clue.
The people there are a general nuisance if you need anything.
You say "I need X", they say, "Why, what do you need it for?"
I don't feel like explaining my project to these nimrods in the 1st place, but then the doofus is determined to know.
So, I indulge, and they look a bit puzzled, then make a suggestion that has no use to me whatsoever, and then I say, "NO, just give me what I asked for"...then the blank stare..."Uhh, we don't have any." So, then I go find it myself and walk out annoyed and tell my wife how stupid the world seems to be, and I'm sure she doesn't wanna hear it.

I think it was Cid who said he'd been to a party with a bunch of Radio Shack dolts and they were essentially carbon copies of one another.
LMAO! This is my typical Radio Shack experience as well. I was surprised recently when I went in to get shielding tape and they didn't have any. I got the typical "why do you need that" question. WTF?!? To shield electronics, douche! (Well, my guitar. LOL!) They said they typically don't carry shielding tape anymore. WTF?!?
Last time I got that question I was buying LEDs. "What do you need it for?" Well, smart-a$$, I need it as an indicator to tell me when the explosive casing of my nuclear weapon is live! :P
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 12:35 AM

Reviews: 25

The one I go to always asks me if I want trade prices and I say yeah sure and I always pay heaps less then the marked price. its like they want to be pals with me, and all i care about is getting my stuff and leaving !!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 01:03 AM

Reviews: 16

The last time I went in there was an older guy trying to sell me a "better" cell phone plan. I can't remember what I went in for. Then he starts telling me about buying the new Apple iPhone. This was before it was actually released. He was trying to chit chat and eventually get me into thinking I need something more so he could make a sell. I just had to be rude and walk out on him while he was talking.

I don't go into a store wanting some a$$hole to chat me up trying to sell me stuff I don't even want. That's one good thing about buying online. You don't have these types following you around the place trying to get you to buy something else you don't want.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 03:30 AM

Next time you are in there ask them how they stay in business and see what they say. It would be interesting to know. I haven't been in there since I stopped smoking meth...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

The last time I went in there was an older guy trying to sell me a "better" cell phone plan. I can't remember what I went in for. Then he starts telling me about buying the new Apple iPhone. This was before it was actually released. He was trying to chit chat and eventually get me into thinking I need something more so he could make a sell. I just had to be rude and walk out on him while he was talking.

I don't go into a store wanting some a$$hole to chat me up trying to sell me stuff I don't even want. That's one good thing about buying online. You don't have these types following you around the place trying to get you to buy something else you don't want.

He probably wanted to sell you a phone so he could have your number.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:35 AM

Reviews: 16

LOL...maybe. If only these salesmen knew that I'm one of the worst people to try and sell something to. I wonder if they'd bother.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Why do they ask for your phone number when you buy batteries?

Last edited by Paul Warren; 03-08-2008 at 12:59 PM.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

LOL...maybe. If only these salesmen knew that I'm one of the worst people to try and sell something to. I wonder if they'd bother.

Well ya know, I suspect if he was trying to sell you a sweet looking Jem he wouldn't have to twist your arm to much.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Warren View Post
Why do they ask for your phone number when you buy batteries?

Because they think you're hot!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 06:23 PM

I'd have to agree, the age of cell phones have allowed them to keep their head above the water. They were really going down the tubes about 10-15 years ago..

oh, and lets not forget about the last min crappy x-mas gifts you can get there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode