How is Facebook useful? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

How is Facebook useful?

Besides telling everyone you just took a poop or bought milk or watching TV.....how is it useful?
I login in and see what everyone else is doing and it's not interesting.
What are some of Facebook's usefulness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: How is Facebook useful?

most things are as useful or useless as we make them. How is going to a movie "useful" for example. In terms of FB it's a great way to stay in touch with friends, share photos, links, etc. sparing many emails to many people, phone calls, etc. FB is also easy enough to casually participate & restrict info to your friends, etc.

If you're a social recluse though FB makes little sense. For me using FB to check in to every event in your life or play games is absurd, but that fills the monotony of people's daily grind and some dig it... glen
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 AM

I agree some people post really stupid or boring stuff, but I have found friends I haven't see in years, which is bitter sweet cause I also found out my best freind since we were 14 took her life a few years ago on FB. What's really great about FB is you can invite your freinds to come out and watch you play, what really sucks is Farmville and those other stupid games, if one more person ask me to milk their cow.......
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyzakk View Post
I agree some people post really stupid or boring stuff, but I have found friends I haven't see in years, which is bitter sweet cause I also found out my best freind since we were 14 took her life a few years ago on FB. What's really great about FB is you can invite your freinds to come out and watch you play, what really sucks is Farmville and those other stupid games, if one more person ask me to milk their cow.......
this was actually the reason i got OFF of face book. I had tons of people talking to me that i didnt like or care about, much less be their "friend".
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Reviews: 2

It's a social networking site. I didn't think it was supposed to be "Useful."

But it helps me stay in touch with friends in differents towns, and I have a page for my teaching and many of my students have me as a friends so if they have questions and what not they can post them and I can answer them. Which helps them and me.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
this was actually the reason i got OFF of face book. I had tons of people talking to me that i didnt like or care about, much less be their "friend".
Page preference: Friends only.
New friend request: Decline.

Many got a page for their band, with pictures, music, news, and the option for people to comment/give feedback. Spamming e-mails is so 2010, get with the program!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 AM

Reviews: 4

I think it's a very useful tool! Sure it has a few caveats, But It's been a gigantic boost for me music and networking. Heck, I wouldn't even HAVE a music career if it was not for the contacts I've made there!!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Reviews: 21

It's a tool but it can be both helpful and harmful. I try to remember the norms of communicating I use in the real world when interacting online. Someone can seemingly say something bad but you may take it out of context. Someone may not reply to to something you say. I think it's important to think of it as entertainment and not to take it too seriously. I've seen many friendships and relationships ruined because of facebook. Someone takes something out of context or overreacts and that's that.
My personal FB is handy to talk with my friends in a quick and easy manner, but to some degree it kind of makes the communication impersonal - like you've reduced your relationship to a quick scrawl on someone's news feed. It's a good idea to stay in real contact with your close friends.
I like the fact that I've been able to recconnect with old friends but to some degree I agree with Linux; some folks you really don't want to reconnect with. Or maybe you've reached "friend saturation" and simply cannot reciprocate meaningful contact because you have too many friends online.
People also seem to want to treat the internet like a diary. This to me is the most insane aspect of it all. People have lost friends and ruined their careers over dumb things they've said on the internet. Treat it like a newspaper! If you don't want it out there, don't tell the bloody internet! Ever!
That said I can be found on FB as Mike Olmeda. My band page shows me and my RG550RF.
And now that PSN is back you you can find me as theDuke570.
Cheers!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:31 PM

I don't like the fact that Facebook has become less about social interaction with friends and more about companies using our personal information as marketing tools.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 03:42 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
I don't like the fact that Facebook has become less about social interaction with friends and more about companies using our personal information as marketing tools.

facebook has gotten completely out of control. Ever have someone face book stalk you? Before I joined my band, my singer asked my last name. I told him not even thinking about it. He calls me back up and asks me for my facebook account... lol.

Kinda weird but hey.

Its not "building relationships" its destroying them. instead of asking someone to come over for a beer and watch the game, its now "status updates". I HATE clowns that update their crap every ten minutes. Does anyone really give a crap you are getting into the shower? One a day, maybe. But... much past that is creepy in my opinion.

thats just my 2 cents. Probably throwing nickels and not pennies, but I feel pretty strongly about it.

edit : I think me and mike are on the same page
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 03:51 PM
site founder 0% owner

^anti-logic.

extra credit fail for not recognizing a simple fact of life .. drama queens find drama... glen
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:13 PM

I'm with the folks that said "it's whatever you make it..."

If you're being annoyed by someone or stalked around as someone called it, just remember you added them. You had to confirm at some point to let them post on you and see what you post. Use your account settings...or don't add people you don't know, and dump those who turn out to be flakes. Ain't that hard...

Facebook has been useful to me for friends in other countries, or even across the USA who maybe are in a different time zones and incompatible time-wise to call. (Or maybe I just don't want the damn phone bill for a call to Tokyo...lol) It also happens nicely to work for a bonehead like me who forgets birthdays.

For folks who spend the whole day on it and play all that farmville crap or whatever, you can block those applications as well... I'll be damned if I'm gonna get roped into helping anyone build a friggin' barn for their goose, digital or otherwise.

What gets me is the people who sign up on a "social networking" site and spend the whole time complaining about having people talk to them or share things. Block 'em, dump 'em, or don't use it...ain't gonna bother anyone else if you aren't there.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I'm not a fan of all the stupid Farmville and Mafia Wars requests, but I find FB useful for keeping in touch with old friends and co-workers.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Does anyone really give a crap you are getting into the shower? One a day, maybe. But...
Showers? Or status updates?

I don't have a facebook account, because of the baggage that comes with it, but my wife keeps in touch with her old friends from her hometown on it and for that reason alone it's useful.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 PM

Reviews: 25

I have close friends who now live overseas, and I get to chat to them daily.. In my opinion its fantastic. I get updated on brands, musicians touring and a million and one tv shows that I follow and know when an episode is comming so I can download it

If you anyone thinks facebook has no merit, then they seriously have no idea..

I advertise my business on their have a group of followers, and when I have new items for sale it gets advertised in the group and my buyers know the moment I list an item.

I just cant see anything wrong with facebook. Its all in how you use technology, if it takes over your life and becomes an issue, then thats the fault of the user, not the creator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode