How to form a band? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

How to form a band?

What are some ways of getting to know people to form a band with? Are there any sites where you can successfully find band members? Any other ways?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:07 PM

Reviews: 15
Re: How to form a band?

Guitarists : These can be found everywhere. In any crowded space you could sneeze and hit at least 3.

Singers : These can be found anywhere with reflective surfaces. Mirror shops are a good bet.

Bassists / Drummers : These can be found at the back of restaurants, rummaging through the bins. Or in front of TV shops, hypnotised by the bright lights, colours and moving shapes.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Just follow Cindy's rule = Money changes everything !
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:18 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE View Post
Guitarists : These can be found everywhere. In any crowded space you could sneeze and hit at least 3.

Singers : These can be found anywhere with reflective surfaces. Mirror shops are a good bet.

Bassists / Drummers : These can be found at the back of restaurants, rummaging through the bins. Or in front of TV shops, hypnotised by the bright lights, colours and moving shapes.

Lmfao! I'd just like to add singers are also waiting in line on handout days for their free money as they are too bleedin lazy to work for a living!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: How to form a band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretboardpyro View Post
I'd just like to add singers are also waiting in line on handout days for their free money as they are too bleedin lazy to work for a living!
As a singer suffering from LSD, I can tell you they are right on the money with this advice!!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 PM

Reviews: 2

Plug in a Marshall (Because that's the only amp company a singer would know about) in a public place, crank it, start shredding, and wait until someone asks you to join their band.

Honestly though, I'm in the same situation as you're in.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I've searched and searched and haven't found a site that comes up with any worthy results. Does such a site seriously not exist?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:04 PM

Reviews: 22

You could post an ad in the RDU Craigslist... but it will largely be ignored among the countless others.
All the bands holding auditions lately are country,bluegrass,christian,or punk.

Andy, you could state what kind of band you are interested in starting on here... i'd reply if for no other reason than how close by.

Myspace search is ok if you search by all band names ending with (needs guitarist....holding auditions.... or needs members)

Some music communities like this one and other forums are decent places to start... but the best bet is to hit up the local scene and try to steal people from their current projects or ask crowd members if they have any musical experience, local open mic nights are gravy too.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 PM

Reviews: 25

You need to go to more gigs, you need to check rehearsal studios, I find many bands post up wanted adds for musicians, there are many websites where musicians meet ie.. Jemsite

In Australia we have www.ausband.com.au which in my opinion although filled with rude little smartass sh-ts, can be a good way of meeting up with other musos..

Im sure the USA would have many more then AUS, you just need to look.

Starting a band is not easy... good luck

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 08-19-2009 at 11:58 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 AM

Check out instrument stores and music schools, local colleges or universities. Good luck.

Rock on!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

theres a site called gumtree i once tried to get a band together using this site,it didnt come off but i got a fair few replies,keyboard players are always hard to find.have a look into gumtree.im not sure what parts of the world have this site,i know england and austrailia have it.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEE HAMMER View Post
You could post an ad in the RDU Craigslist... but it will largely be ignored among the countless others.
All the bands holding auditions lately are country,bluegrass,christian,or punk.

Andy, you could state what kind of band you are interested in starting on here... i'd reply if for no other reason than how close by.

Myspace search is ok if you search by all band names ending with (needs guitarist....holding auditions.... or needs members)

Some music communities like this one and other forums are decent places to start... but the best bet is to hit up the local scene and try to steal people from their current projects or ask crowd members if they have any musical experience, local open mic nights are gravy too.
Good suggestions, thanks. I'll try doing the myspace thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
theres a site called gumtree i once tried to get a band together using this site,it didnt come off but i got a fair few replies,keyboard players are always hard to find.have a look into gumtree.im not sure what parts of the world have this site,i know england and austrailia have it.
Tried using gumtree, but didn't come up with any results. I'll keep trying.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:14 PM

Reviews: 22

Thanks, gumtree is more of a foreign thing.

Going to the brewery or the pour house is a good bet. they aren't too far from you and always chock a block full of musician's/
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 01:15 PM

Look in craigslist there are always ads for guys and gals wanting to start bands. Also make page add and post it at your local music stores. And last but not least make yourself available as a volunteer musician at your surrounding church(s) you will meet lots of working musicians making the church circuit on sundays .Its alot of work to find the right people to play with, kind of like finding the right girlfriend. Some you hit and quit and others hang around for the rest of your life.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 01:48 PM

To get a good band id say you need eddie van halen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode