How to haggle with GC?? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

How to haggle with GC??

Okay first off, I've never haggled over a price in my life. I don't even know if I have the type of personality that could haggle, but after reading in several threads that some members here have been able to successfully negotiate a lower price out of GC, I am intrigued. With my current financial situation, I think resorting to haggling may be my only chance at getting some decent gear to play through so for you world class hagglers out there what tips and advice can you offer a novice for a successful haggle? Is there a Haggling 101 course?

Thanks to all who reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:34 PM

Re: How to haggle with GC??

With GC it's pretty simple - tell them that their mu$icians friend site is offering this at $XXX with free shipping and no sales tax. Can you beat or match it?
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM

Market research is very important, who else is selling the kit you're after and at what price?

Stores often don't want to compete with online stores, but they have to if they want a sale especially if your after an amp or effect whose quality is not as variable as a guitar that you might want to try before you buy

Has the store had the item in stock for a while so they want rid of it?

Is it a discontinued model, or a display model?

Are you a good, repeat customer?

Some stores will discount for cash, others will discount if you take out finance because they get commission from the finance company.

You have to be prepared to walk out of the door and take your business elsewhere. Take no crap they need your $$ more than you need them !!
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:39 PM

Simply put..... CASH! Figure out what you want to pay for something (within reason) and flash the cash. Either they'll want to make the sale or they won't. Just realize you're not going to get a $1500.00 guitar for $500.00. Another thing to do is keep an eye on the stock..... if something has been sitting or hanging there awhile you're more likely to get the deal you want.

I'll bet there are some on here that work in music stores and can give you a better clue on markup and minimum amount of percentage they will haggle over. Good luck!
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far. I have another question. What is a realistic amount that I can expect them to reduce the price to? My local GC has a Classic 30 amp for $530.00, what would be a realistic lower price that I could walk away with that amp for?
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 PM

Reviews: 12

$450 - $500 range... tax paid and all that... maybe couple freebies thrown in

Reg
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 PM

Reviews: 21

Yes, don't be afraid to walk away. Haggling also works better, IMO, at higher prices.
Check out the Sam Ash in Margate too.
And online as well, though shipping might suck for an amp. There are also a few mom and pops locally. One is off I-595 in Davie and its a fairly decent sized store. Nice people but they're not an Ibanez dealer. :P
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:49 PM

Offer them $500.00 and see if they bite.... I think that amp is discontinued!? Everyone else seems to be showing them a $599.00
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Yes, don't be afraid to walk away. Haggling also works better, IMO, at higher prices.
Check out the Sam Ash in Margate too.
And online as well, though shipping might suck for an amp. There are also a few mom and pops locally. One is off I-595 in Davie and its a fairly decent sized store. Nice people but they're not an Ibanez dealer. :P
LOL I just came back from Sam Ash in Margate. lol They don't have any Peavy's there at all! Do you know the name of that mom and pop shop in Davie?
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:52 PM

$509.99 at music 123 on the web

http://www.musicZZZ123.com/Peavey-Cl...32.MusicZZZ123

Take out the extra "Z's"
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Reviews: 18

It'll be easier if you wear a nice skimpy outfit and let the twins pop out a bit

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, there really isn't much to haggling. Since those of us that come from countries in which haggling is a must and get away with it, the easiest thing is to talk to a manager and tell them what you're willing to pay for it, or ask for a "good price". Most of the time, the guys at gc will give you their "better" price off the bat.

If you decide to talk to the manager, be ready to buy the product and throw him a comparable offer, and not an unreasonable one. If all fails, you could always wear something really hot and jump like Kelly Bundy in "Married with Children"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=4

Jimmy

P.S.: you can tell them you'll give them $499 for that peavey and they'll probably do it.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
It'll be easier if you wear a nice skimpy outfit and let the twins pop out a bit

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, there really isn't much to haggling. Since those of us that come from countries in which haggling is a must and get away with it, the easiest thing is to talk to a manager and tell them what you're willing to pay for it, or ask for a "good price". Most of the time, the guys at gc will give you their "better" price off the bat.

If you decide to talk to the manager, be ready to buy the product and throw him a comparable offer, and not an unreasonable one. If all fails, you could always wear something really hot and jump like Kelly Bundy in "Married with Children"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=4

Jimmy

P.S.: you can tell them you'll give them $499 for that peavey and they'll probably do it.
LOL Thank you for your very colorful and descriptive answer! hehehehehe I think I'll keep my twins out of it, but I don't mind asking for a "good price" hehehehe
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
I think that amp is discontinued!?
The Classic 30?? Seriously?
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 04:09 PM

Reviews: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I have another question. What is a realistic amount that I can expect them to reduce the price to? My local GC has a Classic 30 amp for $530.00, what would be a realistic lower price that I could walk away with that amp for?

10 to 15 percent off of posted price isn't unreasonable.

What GC are you going to go to? If you go to the one in West Palm Beach be sure to ask for Scott and tell him I sent you. I've given him a fair amount of business. If Scott can knock a price down he'll do it. He's done it for me some without asking.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

10 to 15 percent off of posted price isn't unreasonable.

What GC are you going to go to? If you go to the one in West Palm Beach be sure to ask for Scott and tell him I sent you. I've given him a fair amount of business. If Scott can knock a price down he'll do it. He's done it for me some without asking.
I'm in south Broward almost on the Dade countyline so I go to the GC in Hallandale. The one in west palm is pretty far I think, no?

Tags
beautiful guitar , ibanez dealer , music store , sam ash , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode