How many hours a week do you work? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

How many hours a week do you work?

Just curious? I was talking to a friend and she seemed really distressed that she had to work 60 hours. I usually do 80-100 depend on what needs to be done but I really really love what I do. Sometimes it sucks but it's very rewarding emotionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 AM

Re: How many hours a week do you work?

A full work week in this country is usually 37.5 hours. 7.5 hours each day + 30 minute lunch. So we're at work for 8 hours each day.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 06:31 AM

If I was working 14 hours a day 7 days a week I'd have to really really love what I did....
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 07:30 AM

I don't go to an office, so it's hard to quantify how many hours I work. I usually make myself available for work from 8-5 Monday thru Friday, but very often I don't work that entire time, then sometimes I work before or after that time (usually after). I'd guess that I put in 30 something hours a week.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 01:15 PM

Before i got laid off I was doing an average of about 45 - 50 hours a week as a staff accountant in food manufacturing.

Now I work about 50-60 hours a week on guitar projects in between looking for a new job
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 01:46 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
A full work week in this country is usually 37.5 hours. 7.5 hours each day + 30 minute lunch. So we're at work for 8 hours each day.
which is how it should be...I think it's a north american thing where people think they have to work 50 - 60 hours per week or more...it's a sad mentality - whoever stays the longest gets promoted first...it's insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Before i got laid off I was doing an average of about 45 - 50 hours a week as a staff accountant in food manufacturing.

Now I work about 50-60 hours a week on guitar projects in between looking for a new job
You should just go into business for yourself doing guitar work...then you can work at what you love...from what I've seen it looks like you have the talent to do it
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 01:51 PM

Oh and my average work day is about 9 hours at the office so 45 hours per week...but I also have part time jobs doing outdoor programs (sea kayaking and hiking) so some weeks I will work 6 or 7 days if I'm at the office all week and then teaching kayaking courses or leading hikes on the weekends...the outdoor stuff is way more fun but I wouldn't be able to make enough money at it to pay my mortgage...it basically just provides extra money for outdoor gear and guitar stuff =)
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
which is how it should be...I think it's a north american thing where people think they have to work 50 - 60 hours per week or more...it's a sad mentality - whoever stays the longest gets promoted first...it's insane

It's not only a north american mentality, it's almost the same in France.
The best example is a guy which does nothing as he's a dumb but he sends a lot of emails after 7PM to show to all that he's still at work at that time, but he's doing nothing during the rest of the time. anyway.

On my side I tend to work around 40h a week.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 02:41 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Unfortunately, many of us do have to work these kind of hours. Like most people in my area, I don't have a college degree. At $27/hr. I HAVE to work 60+ hours just to keep the lights on and the birds fed.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
The best example is a guy which does nothing as he's a dumb but he sends a lot of emails after 7PM to show to all that he's still at work at that time, but he's doing nothing during the rest of the time. anyway.
yup, that is crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Unfortunately, many of us do have to work these kind of hours. Like most people in my area, I don't have a college degree. At $27/hr. I HAVE to work 60+ hours just to keep the lights on and the birds fed.
I hear ya man...although for those of us on salary if we stay at work longer than 8 hours it just lowers our hourly rate cuz we take home the same $ whether we're there for 8 hours or 12 hours =[
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
@ $27/hr you'd be rich where I live
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post

On my side I tend to work around 40h a week.
By the way, you can make Outlook send messages whenever you want. I just blew your mind!
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Does school count?
I work 28 hours a week at the office, and put in God knows how many hours with classes and study... I get about 6 hours sleep, if I'm lucky and the rest of the time is work:classes:study.
Even Sunday, I have to go to church then spend the rest of the day studying... and/or cleaning house, and/or whatever. I had nothing but time when I left Wal-Mart, now I have no time at all.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM

Either too many, or not enough!
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 04:27 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: How many hours a week do you work?

I typically work 47-50 hours a week. That's a full time and a piddly part time job a few blocks away, which is my gas money each week...

At the full time job, I'm management, and at the part time job, I'm a peon...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode