How many of you have perfect pitch? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922
Reviews: 11
How many of you have perfect pitch?

Just wondering how many of you have it, and how you found out you had it...

I was pretty young, I realized it when I would restring a guitar, and tune it by ear, and I would only be off a few cents.
linuxpenguin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:54 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 941
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

I was taught at a young age, around 9. I am a little rusty now on note recognition and sight reading, but if you don't use it ya lose it.

Pitch is still dead on though, it takes a Peterson strobe tuner to get even close to the accuracy of the human ear.
musikron is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dunmore, PA
Posts: 2,325
Reviews: 12
Red face Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

I don't have perfect pitch, but I've found that my normal speaking voice is A440 so I can usually go by that in a pinch. Although I haven't had to pinch in quite awhile!

A buddy of mine from Berklee has perfect pitch and he would point out that the d was off in a wind chime or something and we'd test him using a keyboard. I never really cared, as long as I had the first note, I could stay on track!
DEADTUNES666 is offline  
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:02 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 3,614
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

Relative pitch is good enough, maybe even better. At least if you cringe when playing to A=442Hz.
The Euphor is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922
Reviews: 11
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

Well those of you without perfect pitch are lucky. If I hear a guitar or other instrument out of tune (even slightly), it literally gives me a headache and I go bonkers I scream at my other guitarist all the time because he doesnt tune his guitar very much. He'll get it "close enough" and I literally grab the guitar from him and make it perfect haha.

Theres no "benefit" to having absolute pitch other then the fact I can pick out keys and notes without having to compare to something else.
linuxpenguin is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:05 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 3,614
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

You should start playing fretless guitar.
The Euphor is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:29 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Elizabethton, TN
Posts: 74
Reviews: 1
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

I don't know if it is what you would call perfect But I can Tune A440 by ear but that is it. I do know that guy in those ads in every guitar mag for developing perfect pitch really gets on my nerves. That ad has been running since 89!
Tangent...Sorry
juggerfoot is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922
Reviews: 11
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
You should start playing fretless guitar.
That's the funny thing, unless its chords (which is rare) intonation doesn't bug me.



Jugger, that's called pitch memory, and yes thiose ads ARE annoying! Lol
linuxpenguin is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 6,967
Reviews: 1
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

Which is how Steve Vai developed his perfect pitch, by taping A440 and playing it back on a tape loop overnight. Everynight.

I used to know a guy with perfect pitch, not relative pitch, pitch memory or "off by a few cents, nearly perfect pitch" but perfect pitch. Back in school I played in the classical orchestra (percussionist - because drummers need extra curricular credit too) and this guy could pick out one of the violinists from in the orchestra to say they needed to tune up. He could also sight read anything on piano. He ended up running the school orchestra taking over from the teachers because he was so musical.

Remember the line in "Ghostbusters" - "You're good, most people can't hear me with the whole orchestra playing" it didn't apply to that guy...

I think he ended up as an architect!
jono is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922
Reviews: 11
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Which is how Steve Vai developed his perfect pitch, by taping A440 and playing it back on a tape loop overnight. Everynight.

I used to know a guy with perfect pitch, not relative pitch, pitch memory or "off by a few cents, nearly perfect pitch" but perfect pitch. Back in school I played in the classical orchestra (percussionist - because drummers need extra curricular credit too) and this guy could pick out one of the violinists from in the orchestra to say they needed to tune up. He could also sight read anything on piano. He ended up running the school orchestra taking over from the teachers because he was so musical.

Remember the line in "Ghostbusters" - "You're good, most people can't hear me with the whole orchestra playing" it didn't apply to that guy...

I think he ended up as an architect!

I never "learned" different pitches, it always came naturally for me. I honestly dont understand how people can "learn" perfect pitch. Theres 100 cents in each note, Im content with being within a few of 100% accurate, I dont know how its possible to be EXACTLY dead on like that, but it may be he's just even more sensitive then myself.

For those that dont have it, I can hear the "waves", thats the only way I can describe it. You know when you tune your guitar, and you compare the 5th fret to the next string to tune it, you hear those waves, I hear it without comparison notes. It gives me a headache when I can hear those resonance waves, no matter what instrument.
linuxpenguin is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:16 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 3,614
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

Concert pitch is not constant, some instruments are tuned to other A's than 440Hz. IIRC 438-445Hz is used even today (old music written for old instruments are still being performed with old instruments). That's 7 cents right there, add a few each way, and you're suddenly far off perfect pitch. So, what I want to ask is, does perfect pitch relate to tones or Hz?
The Euphor is offline  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922
Reviews: 11
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Concert pitch is not constant, some instruments are tuned to other A's than 440Hz. IIRC 438-445Hz is used even today (old music written for old instruments are still being performed with old instruments). That's 7 cents right there, add a few each way, and you're suddenly far off perfect pitch. So, what I want to ask is, does perfect pitch relate to tones or Hz?
that makes a lot more sense to me. I dont understand how you can "know" "A440hz", it just doesnt work like that for me. O.o
linuxpenguin is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 6,967
Reviews: 1
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

Then maybe you don't have "perfect" pitch?

I used to be able to tune my guitar within a few cents by ear, I think most experienced guitarists can. I don't play enough these days to reallly have those tones embedded in my memory. What I can't do and have never been able to do is pick out from the violin section when they've all tuned up, who's still flat or who's still sharp.

I can't do a "blind taste test" and name notes on the piano outside of the open 6 string notes on a guitar.

I can't sight sing unaccompanied without a starting note either. I always think that's the true mark of someone with perfect pitch, just to start off unaccompanied from sheet music and be on the right note. Not near, but on.
jono is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 3,922
Reviews: 11
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Then maybe you don't have "perfect" pitch?

I used to be able to tune my guitar within a few cents by ear, I think most experienced guitarists can. I don't play enough these days to reallly have those tones embedded in my memory. What I can't do and have never been able to do is pick out from the violin section when they've all tuned up, who's still flat or who's still sharp.

I can't do a "blind taste test" and name notes on the piano outside of the open 6 string notes on a guitar.

I can't sight sing unaccompanied without a starting note either. I always think that's the true mark of someone with perfect pitch, just to start off unaccompanied from sheet music and be on the right note. Not near, but on.

Id agree with you, but I had that ability after a couple months of playing, not years. Pitch is relative anyway. I have q hard time believing anyone can nail an exact frequency, 100% of the time... I just don't buy it, sorry. Not doubting your friends abilities, I just don't think they are as" exact" as you think they are. I can distinguish notes immediately by ear, even when slightly out of tune, and I can tell which way they are out of tune as well. But that's just my ear, ill consider it perfect pitch until proven otherwise.
linuxpenguin is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,516
Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

I dont think you understand the concept of perfect pitch.
moebius is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perfect pitch Sheehan Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 24 11-30-2005 03:52 PM
Perfect Pitch course jwoods986 Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk 15 08-02-2004 09:34 AM
How much better are musicians with perfect pitch? Jaysen Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 4 03-31-2003 10:41 AM
perfect pitch? how? alza777 Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 6 06-15-2002 04:43 AM
Relative Pitch - & Perfect Pitch, too... Purplehaze Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 22 06-19-2001 03:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome