How many of you have perfect pitch? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
How many of you have perfect pitch?

Just wondering how many of you have it, and how you found out you had it...

I was pretty young, I realized it when I would restring a guitar, and tune it by ear, and I would only be off a few cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:54 PM

Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

I was taught at a young age, around 9. I am a little rusty now on note recognition and sight reading, but if you don't use it ya lose it.

Pitch is still dead on though, it takes a Peterson strobe tuner to get even close to the accuracy of the human ear.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: How many of you have perfect pitch?

I don't have perfect pitch, but I've found that my normal speaking voice is A440 so I can usually go by that in a pinch. Although I haven't had to pinch in quite awhile!

A buddy of mine from Berklee has perfect pitch and he would point out that the d was off in a wind chime or something and we'd test him using a keyboard. I never really cared, as long as I had the first note, I could stay on track!
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:02 AM

Relative pitch is good enough, maybe even better. At least if you cringe when playing to A=442Hz.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Well those of you without perfect pitch are lucky. If I hear a guitar or other instrument out of tune (even slightly), it literally gives me a headache and I go bonkers I scream at my other guitarist all the time because he doesnt tune his guitar very much. He'll get it "close enough" and I literally grab the guitar from him and make it perfect haha.

Theres no "benefit" to having absolute pitch other then the fact I can pick out keys and notes without having to compare to something else.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:05 PM

You should start playing fretless guitar.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:29 PM

Reviews: 1

I don't know if it is what you would call perfect But I can Tune A440 by ear but that is it. I do know that guy in those ads in every guitar mag for developing perfect pitch really gets on my nerves. That ad has been running since 89!
Tangent...Sorry
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
You should start playing fretless guitar.
That's the funny thing, unless its chords (which is rare) intonation doesn't bug me.

Jugger, that's called pitch memory, and yes thiose ads ARE annoying! Lol
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Which is how Steve Vai developed his perfect pitch, by taping A440 and playing it back on a tape loop overnight. Everynight.

I used to know a guy with perfect pitch, not relative pitch, pitch memory or "off by a few cents, nearly perfect pitch" but perfect pitch. Back in school I played in the classical orchestra (percussionist - because drummers need extra curricular credit too) and this guy could pick out one of the violinists from in the orchestra to say they needed to tune up. He could also sight read anything on piano. He ended up running the school orchestra taking over from the teachers because he was so musical.

Remember the line in "Ghostbusters" - "You're good, most people can't hear me with the whole orchestra playing" it didn't apply to that guy...

I think he ended up as an architect!
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Which is how Steve Vai developed his perfect pitch, by taping A440 and playing it back on a tape loop overnight. Everynight.

I used to know a guy with perfect pitch, not relative pitch, pitch memory or "off by a few cents, nearly perfect pitch" but perfect pitch. Back in school I played in the classical orchestra (percussionist - because drummers need extra curricular credit too) and this guy could pick out one of the violinists from in the orchestra to say they needed to tune up. He could also sight read anything on piano. He ended up running the school orchestra taking over from the teachers because he was so musical.

Remember the line in "Ghostbusters" - "You're good, most people can't hear me with the whole orchestra playing" it didn't apply to that guy...

I think he ended up as an architect!

I never "learned" different pitches, it always came naturally for me. I honestly dont understand how people can "learn" perfect pitch. Theres 100 cents in each note, Im content with being within a few of 100% accurate, I dont know how its possible to be EXACTLY dead on like that, but it may be he's just even more sensitive then myself.

For those that dont have it, I can hear the "waves", thats the only way I can describe it. You know when you tune your guitar, and you compare the 5th fret to the next string to tune it, you hear those waves, I hear it without comparison notes. It gives me a headache when I can hear those resonance waves, no matter what instrument.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:16 PM

Concert pitch is not constant, some instruments are tuned to other A's than 440Hz. IIRC 438-445Hz is used even today (old music written for old instruments are still being performed with old instruments). That's 7 cents right there, add a few each way, and you're suddenly far off perfect pitch. So, what I want to ask is, does perfect pitch relate to tones or Hz?
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Concert pitch is not constant, some instruments are tuned to other A's than 440Hz. IIRC 438-445Hz is used even today (old music written for old instruments are still being performed with old instruments). That's 7 cents right there, add a few each way, and you're suddenly far off perfect pitch. So, what I want to ask is, does perfect pitch relate to tones or Hz?
that makes a lot more sense to me. I dont understand how you can "know" "A440hz", it just doesnt work like that for me. O.o
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Then maybe you don't have "perfect" pitch?

I used to be able to tune my guitar within a few cents by ear, I think most experienced guitarists can. I don't play enough these days to reallly have those tones embedded in my memory. What I can't do and have never been able to do is pick out from the violin section when they've all tuned up, who's still flat or who's still sharp.

I can't do a "blind taste test" and name notes on the piano outside of the open 6 string notes on a guitar.

I can't sight sing unaccompanied without a starting note either. I always think that's the true mark of someone with perfect pitch, just to start off unaccompanied from sheet music and be on the right note. Not near, but on.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Then maybe you don't have "perfect" pitch?

I used to be able to tune my guitar within a few cents by ear, I think most experienced guitarists can. I don't play enough these days to reallly have those tones embedded in my memory. What I can't do and have never been able to do is pick out from the violin section when they've all tuned up, who's still flat or who's still sharp.

I can't do a "blind taste test" and name notes on the piano outside of the open 6 string notes on a guitar.

I can't sight sing unaccompanied without a starting note either. I always think that's the true mark of someone with perfect pitch, just to start off unaccompanied from sheet music and be on the right note. Not near, but on.

Id agree with you, but I had that ability after a couple months of playing, not years. Pitch is relative anyway. I have q hard time believing anyone can nail an exact frequency, 100% of the time... I just don't buy it, sorry. Not doubting your friends abilities, I just don't think they are as" exact" as you think they are. I can distinguish notes immediately by ear, even when slightly out of tune, and I can tell which way they are out of tune as well. But that's just my ear, ill consider it perfect pitch until proven otherwise.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 09:49 AM

I dont think you understand the concept of perfect pitch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode