How to send money to the States in a short time - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

How to send money to the States in a short time

I plan to buy a digital camera and my uncle is in the US now. Is there a *quick* way of sending money to him so that he can get it for me? I need to send about 3k...

Please help, because time is limited and prices over here (Turkey) are sky high
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 12:05 PM

Re: How to send money to the States in a short time

I'm not sure, can he not pay and then you pay him back when time is on your side?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 12:08 PM

Wire transfer
Deposit the money directly into his bank account if his bank has a branch where you're at
money order sent express (Not recommended if you're sending 3k)
Western Union
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Sabre, that was the plan but his budget at the time does not permit such a purchase so we have to send him money.

Koss, I don't know how wire transfer works, could you please elaborate on it? His bank has a branch here but I'm not sure it has a branch in US.
I thought about western union at first but my father told me that it took a loooong time when he last used it. I'm having second thoughts about that because the lase time he used it was nearly 8 years ago. He told me that it took nearly 6 weeks to send 1.5k to France from Turkey. Does anyone have something to say about this?
My uncle does not reside in the US, he goes there for scientific research. He is coming in two weeks so I do need to send him money fast...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 01:07 PM

How is he spending money in the US? Does he have a debit card with him? If he does, then you can jsut get his bank account number from him, go to his bank and say you want to deposit 3k into the account.

And with Western Union, you go to one of their branches, give them the money, and they give you a number. I can't remember what it's called, but you then give that to your uncle and then he goes to a western union branch, gives them the number, and other information, like your name, your address, phone number etc. and then they give him the money.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 03:57 PM

www.westernunion.com

I doubt you'll find any useful information here about how wire transfers and Western Union work. Your best bet is to contact Western Union or your uncle's bank to see what can be done.

FWIW any time I sent money via Western Union (domestically) it arrived within minutes of me sending it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode