Huge courier surcharge!?! Help needed!! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Huge courier surcharge!?! Help needed!!

I need advice about something thats happened to me. I sent a guitar to Spain a few weeks ago in a standard box sized 18cm x 51cm x 120cm which weighed 12kg so booked it in online and paid the amount and extra for compensation. Its the 5th or 6th I've sent out in the last 5 months or so.

I've recently received an email from the online courier agent (courier was DHL booked through a parcels website) asking me for an extra Ģ59.32 surcharge as the DHL "scanned size" didnt correspond with the size of my parcel. After to-and-fro emails I was finally informed that DHL scanned it in as 46cm x 79cm x 128cm!! The volumetric weight of mine was 30kg while they claim it was 117kg! They are now demanding payment unless I can prove original size or provide photos of the original parcel which must show exact size. The guy I sold it to got rid of the box so photos cant be provided.

Do I have a leg to stand on? Is this a ripoff/scam that has precedents? Please I need help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:59 PM
DJR

Re: Huge courier surcharge!?! Help needed!!

going by what you said about the buyer throwing the box away, the guitar has been delivered... so, DHL can take a running jump. They should have not accepted it, or at east invoiced you prior to dispatch. I wouldn't pay anything, especially if its not right. Sod em.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:55 PM

Agreed. What exactly happens if you tell them to go whistle?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Yeah it was delivered weeks ago and received the surcharge bill last week which made it much more likely for the packaging to be thrown away. I definitely measured and input the correct size but the parcel agents are saying that I dont have proof of its size so without photographic evidence DHL wins! Theyve already been billed by DHL so say they are passing it on to me. I quote from the agents:

"As I advised, we cannot dispute this with DHL without proof, I have given the details of the order was sent without any issue but unfortunately they do not deem this as sufficient evidence to overturn the charges.

If you can provide photographs as mentioned previously I can dispute this further, unfortunately if these are not available I have to uphold the charges incurred & request that these are paid."

I've contacted DHL directly and hope to hear something from them soon. If they insist my parcel was the size they claim (2.5 times its actual thickness, 1.5 times its actual width and 8cm longer) then I want photographic proof that it was my parcel! I also want the paperwork that ties the DHL tracking code definitively with the websites order number and where it was scanned. That kind of thing...

This all seems so wrong there must be something I can do. I cant think straight and feel I'm missing something obvious but the payment reminders keep coming and winding me up.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 04:13 AM

do you have other boxes available

strangely, I do take pictures of a packaged guitar just before I send it, ive never had anything like that happen but im glad you posted that bad experience here.
sorry you had to learn it for us
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Ha! Yes I thought about that but it was my last one Its just so frustrating knowing that its a standard sized box and that my records show the other 4 or 5 being the same size! 10 days before I sold it and shipped it I had it listed on this site with the same measurements for exact shipping quotes but it doesnt matter because even if the agents actually believe me DHL wont.

I'm told this is new official policy by DHL who are clamping down on oversized or 'under-declared' packages so from now on make sure your parcels are photographed against a tape-measure so you can prove it was the size you declared.

I wont be paying anyone anything for the time being and actually feel like suing them for accusing me of lying!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:53 AM

Ok i had a similar thing ages ago, shockingly with DHL, however UPS do the same thing, if you have no proof of weight or dimensions, ask them to supply a copy, ofc it should be dated the date of the original pickup, if it isn't then phone and ask to speak to a manager, if he doesn't satisfy your questions (which he wont) ask to speak to his superior, his first reaction will be to say he isn't allowed and he is the highest member of staff available to talk to which is bollocks, keep phoning until you speak to the area manager at the very least, by the time it gets to him, many people will be aware of what has happened and if like in my case, they cannot prove your package size and weight (with photos) it wil be dismissed and you'll pay nothing, if they can prove it, they have falsified information and i suggest you meet them in court.

OFC if they guy is spain weighs the contents of that package, DHL will have to explain why a cardboard box and some bubble wrap weighs in at 87kg

the only outcome i see is you not paying, it's been delivered, job done
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man thats exactly what I'm gonna try and do - turn it round on them and demand they prove the size was wrong

I'll demand all the paperwork from both companies and sort this out now I've finally started to calm down about all this

Thanx for your help guys
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Banned

i wouldnt pay them another penny.the guitar has reached its destination,so how can they say you owe Ģ59.tell them to get bent

Tags
courier , dhl , surcharge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode