Hurricane Irene - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Hurricane Irene

I hope all you fellow guitarists and Jemsiters in the US have managed to weather the storm and families and loved ones are all safe and sound.

Australia has had a horror couple of years with natural disasters and the like so from Australia, best of luck!

-Wolfram (doing his best to keep up friendly AUST/US relations.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 AM

Re: Hurricane Irene

We got lucky and had no damage or lose power. We did lost cable for 24hrs. Some of my neighbors were not so lucky. Those across the street are on a different power grid and won't have power poss to the end of the week. Two houses in either direction had cars flattened by trees and down the street a house was halfed by a tree.

We got really lucky.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 AM

Reviews: 37

i am o.k but my herc fede swirl got delayed due to herc lives near where it hit.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 AM

Reviews: 3

My shop is fine. Lost power for two hours. There are some people on streets in my development who will be without power for days. There are roads closed, flooding, trees down everywhere.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM

My Dad will be without power for a week but he was well-prepared. They have a generator and are getting by just fine. Lost one small tree (a redbud, which grieved me), and that seems to be the extent of it. I suffered some minor inconvenience with having to drive around flooded intersections in the Hudson Valley, but that's it. Oh, and the Port Jervis rail line has been washed out in several places and will not be operational for months.

I travel quite a bit and some of my most favorite places have been severely impacted. The Outer Banks, Vermont, the Connecticut and Rhode Island shore communities, certain summer camps and small towns in the Adirondacks. A friend of the family is vacationing a a cabin in the 'dacks and both ways to get to it are washed out. He will have to hike out and his car will be stuck there for months while they re-build the bridge.

Peace

Mike
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Hope everyone is well. Major problems here... my office flooded out 2-ft... still digging out. Thankfully at home i was spared (little water, didn't lose power) but parts of my (small) town were 4 feet underwater. Many photos here. These lame blogger/ANALysts calling "irene" hype are totally clueless d'bags. Half my town won't have power until weekend at earliest.

http://cranford.patch.com/articles/u...orm-in-history

... glen
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 04:24 PM

Sorry to hear you guys are suffering. Lucky where i live there's invariably no weather probs to ever speak of. Fingers crossed everyone is safe and doesn't lose someone/something precious...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 04:54 PM

wow what a difference, we are only a couple miles west, and here is basically nothing. I have one branch broken off a tree
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13

Good to hear most of you guys are doing well, water and storm damage can be a real pain, especially for those with younger children. I just realised that, thinking about it when it was mentioned, that there are large power outages in some places and some of the Jemsiters who are without power aren't able to actually sign on.

My parents have been through a few hurricanes (cyclones here in Aus) and apparently it is not a pleasant experience at all.

Again, great to hear you guys have managed to get through it (thus far) without too much pain - and no loss of guitars I hope!

-Wolfram
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 PM

Why do you guys give them friendly names?

Surely something more like Hurricane bitch would be more appropriate.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:26 PM

Names follow a list. Great idea if you need a name for your kid...
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

No water is bad, too much water is bad. Hopefully everyone will be able to move on without too big losses.

This year was the first time ever the rain forced me to stop while driving. The rain was so heavy I couldn't see anything. Wipers at full speed did nothing, in front of the car was a massive gray waterfall. Mad. Someone upset the weather...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 AM

Interesting

"Experience shows that the use of short, distinctive given names in written as well as spoken communications is quicker and less subject to error than the older more cumbersome latitude-longitude identification methods. These advantages are especially important in exchanging detailed storm information between hundreds of widely scattered stations, coastal bases, and ships at sea."

Thanks for the link.

Phil
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:55 AM

Reviews: 25

Yeah im also sorry to hear about the storms in the USA. Melbourne got major floods a few months back and I lost an entire warehouse to water, so I feel your pain..

My thoughts are with everyone.....
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:58 PM

Reviews: 21

Living in S Floirda my entire life I've seen lots of near miss hurricanes and been hit a few times. No fun! At least these days our buildings are designed to better withstand the wind load of these beasts. I feel terrible seeing all these old buildings and neighborhoods washed away up north. Hopefully you all can rebuild quickly and put this all behind you. As much as it sucks now it does get better.
And not to make light of the situation... but I've always wanted to experience a cyclone in Oz or New Zealand just to see if they're different when they spin the other way.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
i am o.k but my herc fede swirl got delayed due to herc lives near where it hit.

Ah.....this answers my question in your pmc thread I just asked.....
>:P

Tags
hurricane , irene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode