i don't know what doctor to go to - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
 
kennydoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,422
i don't know what doctor to go to

Here are my symptoms:

last monday, i started feeling crappy - a lot in my throat and feeling just overall yuk. Was hacking up globby stuff every few hours, but not as often as i would if it was a sinus infection (i get those a lot). It also wasn't the right color to be a sinus inf.

Later in the afternoon a low-grade fever started burning. 99-100F.

went to bed, slept thru the night, didn't feel much better on tuesday...went to my regular doctor who really just wanted to go home (last appt of the day). He prescribed augmentin, a powerful antibiotic.

rested a lot on Tuesday. After 2 doses on the antibiotic, went to bed with 101.8 fever.

Slept in a pool of sweat all night and when i woek up, the fever had broken....haven't had one since (that's a week gone by).

i stopped the antibiotic on thursday becuase i wasn't feeling better - was feeling worse because the meds were wreaking having on my stomach, the fever had gone, but the other symptoms persisted, so i ruled out the bacterial infection.

As of yesterday (maybe 2 days ago) my last symptom is a dull headache and when i cough, the back of my head and neck throb like they're going to detach. I've never felt as much pain as when i cough.

After sleeping nearly 11 hours last night, I woke up and my equilibrium was a little off...feel a little like I'm going to fall down. when i stand up i have a bit of an ache in the back of my head between my ears.

On top of this, i think i have a cavity in my back molar. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow. That pain has been going on about a week.

Does anyone know what these symptoms could be? I can't take it anymore. I wouldn't mind going to a doctor, but i don't feel that my regular guy is going to know what to do, other than throw drugs at me that i don't need - i'd feel more comfortable going to a specialist - but i don't know what kind of specialist to go to.
kennydoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 05:23 PM
 
jaxadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,295
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

Man, that sounds pretty crazy.

I know this is going to sound funny, but have you been experiencing allergies that seem to be worse lately?

I have pretty bad allergies, and sometimes I get a lot of what you're describing, even the weird stuff like jaw stiffness and ear aches.

I usually take alka selzer, zinc, vitamin c, ecinachea, etc. when I feel something coming on and it usually fixes it pretty good.
jaxadam is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:21 PM
 
sick-boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hillsdale, MI USA
Posts: 1,190
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

I don't know about the symptoms so I can't help you there.
However, when I take antibiotics, I take vitamins that contain stomach bacteria to help ease the stomach problems.
sick-boy is offline  
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
 
kennydoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,422
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

I took 2 acidophilus with every dose. when I know I have an infection, I will tolerate the stomach stuff because I know it's a necessary evil.

the problem I have now is the excruciating head pain that comes with coughing. it is a pain the likes of which I have never felt. I am ready to cry everytime I cough and for about 10-20 seconds after.

Last edited by kennydoe; 04-10-2007 at 07:18 PM.
kennydoe is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:32 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: IA, USA
Posts: 1,007
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

perhaps you should check out a Ears,Nose,Throat doctor or ENT. They specialize in those areas naturally and it sounds like several of your problems pertain to one of those areas or more.
nightfiend14 is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:57 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,366
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfiend14 View Post
perhaps you should check out a Ears,Nose,Throat doctor or ENT. They specialize in those areas naturally and it sounds like several of your problems pertain to one of those areas or more.
That sounds like sound advice.
FloridaNative is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:29 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 165
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
Here are my symptoms:

last monday, i started feeling crappy - a lot in my throat and feeling just overall yuk. Was hacking up globby stuff every few hours, but not as often as i would if it was a sinus infection (i get those a lot). It also wasn't the right color to be a sinus inf.

Later in the afternoon a low-grade fever started burning. 99-100F.

went to bed, slept thru the night, didn't feel much better on tuesday...went to my regular doctor who really just wanted to go home (last appt of the day). He prescribed augmentin, a powerful antibiotic.

rested a lot on Tuesday. After 2 doses on the antibiotic, went to bed with 101.8 fever.

Slept in a pool of sweat all night and when i woek up, the fever had broken....haven't had one since (that's a week gone by).

i stopped the antibiotic on thursday becuase i wasn't feeling better - was feeling worse because the meds were wreaking having on my stomach, the fever had gone, but the other symptoms persisted, so i ruled out the bacterial infection.

As of yesterday (maybe 2 days ago) my last symptom is a dull headache and when i cough, the back of my head and neck throb like they're going to detach. I've never felt as much pain as when i cough.

After sleeping nearly 11 hours last night, I woke up and my equilibrium was a little off...feel a little like I'm going to fall down. when i stand up i have a bit of an ache in the back of my head between my ears.

On top of this, i think i have a cavity in my back molar. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow. That pain has been going on about a week.

Does anyone know what these symptoms could be? I can't take it anymore. I wouldn't mind going to a doctor, but i don't feel that my regular guy is going to know what to do, other than throw drugs at me that i don't need - i'd feel more comfortable going to a specialist - but i don't know what kind of specialist to go to.

First of all, I cannot stress how much of a bad idea it is to self medicate w/ antibiotics. It is not like taking bayer asprin vs Kroger Asprin....They are NOT all the same. Depending on what you have they be work OR NOT. For some illnesses, it only sets you up for a worse infection as you kill off the normal bacteria or select for resistant strains.....So don't take antibiotics unless you are given them by a Dr!!

That said, it SOUNDS like you had a viral illness and now have a secondary bacterial infection or that you have an infection of your tooth that has spread (I would not count on your dentist doing anything until this is resolved as you could be predisposed to a heart infection after the dental procedure).....However, it is impossible to tell w/o an exam and good history...So, I would just go to a family dr or intern if that means going to one of the Doc in a box (urgent care etc) then fine. Sounds like you are continuing to get worse so I would not wait long as it sinus infections can develop into bigger problems.

If you continue start to spike a larger fever (<102.5), feel that you heart is beating very fast and feel dizzy, become short of breath and stop urinating you may need to go to the ER as you may be developing shock.
jimmi is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:43 PM
site founder 0% owner
 
jemsite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 11,475
Reviews: 1
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

LOL. you did all that kenny but didn't even call your Dr? scary. could be a serious sinus infection and the tooth problem can be related. if your family dr is inept or has bad hours get to the medi-center asap.
jemsite is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:13 PM
 
JJEMMER777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 8,373
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
He prescribed augmentin, a powerful antibiotic.

Sooooooooooooooooo typical

~K: Hey doc, my head hurts

Doc: Here, take these antibiotics doe-boy

~K: Hey doc, My big toe hurts

Doc: Here, take these antibiotics doe-boy

~K: Hey doc, my doe-belly hurts

Doc: Here, take these antibiotics doe-boy

Etc, etc Pills, pills, pills. (don't even get me started on Doctors)


Kenny, get your tooth checked. Your condition may have stemed from that. Bad teeth can cause the body and (ears) havok.

They have been linked to not only bacterial (middle/outer) ear and throat infections, but viral (inner) ear infections as well. (dizzyness)
JJEMMER777 is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 PM
 
jaxadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,295
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Sooooooooooooooooo typical

~K: Hey doc, my head hurts

Doc: Here, take these antibiotics doe-boy

~K: Hey doc, My big toe hurts

Doc: Here, take these antibiotics doe-boy

~K: Hey doc, my doe-belly hurts

Doc: Here, take these antibiotics doe-boy

Etc, etc Pills, pills, pills. (don't even get me started on Doctors)


Kenny, get your tooth checked. Your condition may have stemed from that. Bad teeth can cause the body and (ears) havok.

They have been linked to not only bacterial (middle/outer) ear and throat infections, but viral (inner) ear infections as well. (dizzyness)
That is hilarious, because me and my friends have a running joke about that.

I used to go to this one doctor (HMO) and no matter what, he would always prescribe antibiotics.

Adam: "Hey doc, I think I broke my hand again"

Doc: "Here, take these antibiotics"

I mean, no kidding. It was ridiculous. They sucked. I walked in one time with a broken hand, and they told me to come back next week, they were too busy. Huh? Thanks but no thanks...

Then I broke some ribs. Had to go to the emergency room and got an mri and x-ray. Followed up with my Doctor. My doc said "Yup, everything looks great!" The other doctor was like "Um... Did you notice the broken ribs?" He was like, "Oh, oh yeah... give him some antibiotics..."
jaxadam is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:27 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 165
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
LOL. you did all that kenny but didn't even call your Dr? scary. could be a serious sinus infection and the tooth problem can be related. if your family dr is inept or has bad hours get to the medi-center asap.
I think the delay is as much dueto the self medication w/ left over antibiotics as anything....However, I agree, seems you would head to the Dr. afte the frist week or so.
jimmi is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
 
kennydoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,422
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

What's all this about self-mediaction and not going to the Doctor?

from my OP went to bed, slept thru the night, didn't feel much better on tuesday...went to my regular doctor who really just wanted to go home (last appt of the day). He prescribed augmentin, a powerful antibiotic.

Also, i haven't had a fever in a week.

I get many sinus infections and I am well aware of what they feel like and look like. This is NOT a sinus infection.

I kinda HOPE this is tooth related. I probably DO need a new doctor...I've been going to this particular practice for quite some time, but they're out of my neighborhood and i think it's time...He's gotten things wrong before.

I'm all about pills that work...i just think that in this case, they were an easy answer for a doctor who wanted to go home becuase his kids were off from school.

Is it possible it could be a migrane? What's that feel like? This is massive pain in the top/back of my head and at the base of my skull near my spine.

~K
kennydoe is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
 
kennydoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,422
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
Then I broke some ribs. Had to go to the emergency room and got an mri and x-ray. Followed up with my Doctor. My doc said "Yup, everything looks great!" The other doctor was like "Um... Did you notice the broken ribs?" He was like, "Oh, oh yeah... give him some antibiotics..."

Put some Windex on it
(anybody else see that movie?)
kennydoe is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
 
jaxadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,295
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
Put some Windex on it
(anybody else see that movie?)
Yup! Good movie!
jaxadam is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Moderator
 
elcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: chicago
Posts: 9,592
Re: i don't know what doctor to go to

maybe you have the sars
elcid is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome