I got a new job... as a guitar repair man. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

I got a new job... as a guitar repair man.

Well i got myself a job, my very first one. I am repairing guitars as a contractor with my local music shop. I got on thursday and have already worked on 6 guitars which means i have made around $80. It may not seem like much but it works out with me going to college (18 hours).

Anyways i thought i'd share and ask if anyone has any advice or if anyone here has ever done anything like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:29 AM

Re: I got a new job... as a guitar repair man.

Congrats. Man, thats a good job. Doing something that you love
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
...if anyone has any advice or if anyone here has ever done anything like it.
i do guitar repairs for a shop, even. if i can give you an advice, whenever you get a guitar with bad dings and scratches, take pics of those before you start working on it. this will save your @ss sometimes.

good luck, man
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:17 AM

that's awesome j.

go for it
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 AM

Hey congratulations! Don't worry about the pay, any money is good money, especially in college. Besides, I'd probably work for a few shots of whiskey at the end of the day if somebody let me loose in a workshop.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 07:09 AM

Congrats. Do people good and they'll do you good. I love my repairman I aways go to him I feel very loyal, because he always does a good job in a timely manner and goes the extra mile just for the relationship. I even feel obliged to spend a bit more in the shop just to support his store (he owns it) and I spread the word to my guitar friends about it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:19 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
i do guitar repairs for a shop, even. if i can give you an advice, whenever you get a guitar with bad dings and scratches, take pics of those before you start working on it. this will save your @ss sometimes.

good luck, man
Definately do this.

Also don't have anything heavy stored above your work bench.

You should refuse to fix anything without a double locking rem (schaller or better only) otherwise people will never learn.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post

good luck, man
that is a great peice of advice, i needed to invest in another camera anyways.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Congrats dude! Thats a great first job!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:19 PM

Reviews: 2

Never do to a customer guitar that you wouldn't do to your OWN pristine BABY!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:12 PM

Treat customer's guitar as well as you'd treat your own. If not better. Your reputation as a guitar tech will spread quickly, good or bad. Make sure it's good. Good luck!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

yeah i am taking extra special care with all the guitars i have worked on so far. Mostly they have been acoustics. I have a guy that needs a paf pro and tone zone installed in his RG so i'll enjoy that, and there are a few other acoustics i have to check on parts for.

I am thinking about maybe getting on with allparts.com as a dealer.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 06:57 AM

well done mate!!you lucky [email protected]#d. how old are you? and how did you get the job, im looking to do something like that. what sort of repairs have you done so far?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

i am 20 and i got the job mainly because i can wire up electronics/ pickups. One of the guys that works at the music shop has an s-470 that he needed a paf joe installed in (already had the Mo'joe in there) so i said hey i'll do it for you and show you how. So i worked on it there in the music store, and it so happened that the GM noticed what i was doing and asked the employee if he thought i would work out as a contractor.

So that was it, the next day i spoke to the GM he told me what they needed and how to it do it asa far as invoices and what thier process is.

So for instance I had an acoustic that was in rough shape, it needed a truss rod adjustment, nut shim and saddle shim on the high e side. It didn't take me much more then an hour to have it back in great shape. I had the add the shimms to the nut and then glue and clamp it so that was really the longest part of the whole setup.

I have done setup work so far, mostly acoustic guitars. The common problem i am seeing is fret buzz or a dead note on one string one fret. Mostly the kind of stuff a truss rod adjustment will take care of, and maybe a little shimm.

I had to change out the preamp on one guitar and then fit a pre amp into another. That was hard. The guitar was a classical, so the piezo was a hair short and i had to split the difference. The saddle cutout was too wide so i had to use a fairly thick saddle which ment it was tall. I had to take the dremel tool and sand the bottom of the saddle and make a channle so that the piezo pickup would fit and set right under the saddle. The bridge was still a little too wide for the saddle and that was the largest i had and i think the largest they make so i had to fit in around the bridge with some epoxy. It didn't stick to the saddle just molded around it so it would be held secure without a lot of wiggle room. The piezo pickups are horrible if they can move around the bridge, it will cause some strings to sound dead and others to be much louder.

I had an epiphone come in that had a dead note. The guitar was brand new, and after looking at it and messing with it trying to get the note, i looked it and saw it had a high fret. The fret wasn't very high it just hadn't been radiused right . I hammer it a little bit and the guitar was great, nothing else wrong.

Anyways it has been a lot of fun so far. I have really enjoyed it.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 PM

Reviews: 2

AllParts is a great company......I use them in my Store.

Tags
guitar repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode