I HATE Chemistry!!! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

I HATE Chemistry!!!

I hate the goddamned subject with all my heart! I've never shown any aptitude at it at all but that's not the problem. I fail to grasp what an Industrial Engineer will do with Chemistry?! If one wants to specialize in that branch he/she well could! But why do we have to take to stupid subject as well?!

Perhaps this because I failed the ****ing course but I really can't see what good it is to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 05:19 PM

Re: I HATE Chemistry!!!

well as an industrial engineer you may have a situtation in which it is your job to design holding and mixing containers for a chemical plant , the trick is one chemical needs to under pressure in order to forum a liquid state which.........

whatever i could see some chemistry being relavent to engineering , it is much harder for some then others . i sort of enjoy chemisty although i am not totally great at it , however i suck at math , so i'd rather stab myself in the eye then go through a physics class but it is something you just have to grin and take up the ass because that is how it is done . i need a sophmore english class , i hate english and reading but i have to have it .
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 PM

You'll need a knowladge of chemistry to be an industrial engineer as there will be a time when you need concrete to go off in an underwater footing for a bridge or something and I'm sure the PH level, fresh water/salt water factors etc will require some chemistry based decisions.

Ben
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 06:28 PM

Well, as an industrial engineer, I guess you have to know a bit about metallurgy and anodic reactions and y'know, stuff like that........

.....as an architect, I HATED doing structural subjects, until I decided that the only approach was to accept every form of learning as fun/personal growth - ended up getting a high distinction for the remaining structural subjects in the course!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

OK, now you have introduced some strong scenarios where I can use it. But it's just that I'm not good at it and I'm just mad that I'm failing a one-semester course because I have no aptitutude or real interest in it. And I'd hardly say the stuff we're learining simple. I can deal with PH, some quantum, or other simple chemistry but though the topics are acid/base etc. these are very advanced so I feel.

Anyway, I hope the curve will come down about 6 points so that I won't have to take the stupid subject again.

I believe some people are just good at certain things. For example, unlike j.arlenge I am exceptionally good at math but suck at chemistry
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:11 AM

Hehehehe.

I'm exceptionally good at maths AND chemistry.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:37 AM

You wont learn anything at highschool that you wont at uni, the point of it is that you have to show that you are able to learn and it gives a basic understanding of the content if you ever do need it (and Im sure ou will eventually), you might have to consult a scientist and youll need to have some understanding of what he's talking about.

Chemistry was actually an easy pass for me, it overlapped so much with physics it was just revision.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 05:42 AM

An Industrial Engineer needs to know Chemistry like an Architect needs to know Trig and Geometry.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 05:59 PM

They say Chemistry is the "Central Science", but you'll only hear Chemists saying that

It's definetally hard, no kidding there, but it's my favorite discipline.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Lol, "central science"

Yeah I find it particularly hard, perhaps because I don't like the subject, have no interest in it, and don't like studying it.

Geee, I'm still laughing at that!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:13 PM

Surely Physics is the central science as without gravity I'd my head even further in the clouds than I do now?

Ben
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:33 PM

Sometime or other, you will find a use for it. I've faced this situation many, many times. I work in the Quality Assurance field, which requires knowledge "a mile wide and an inch deep," which means knowing a little bit about each industry or each subject, rather than deep knowledge in any one area. So the learning is absolutely continous. One minute, someone is asking me about statistics and specifications, and the next minute, someone is asking me questions about contracts and international law, or ISO 9001, or how to design a training program, etc. Any bit of experience that you gain will help you in some way. The details are unimportant. Later on in life you'll see how it all fits together.

Biology is really chemistry,
Chemistry is really physics,
Physics is really math,
And math is really hard.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
An Industrial Engineer needs to know Chemistry like an Architect needs to know Trig and Geometry.
Wot's trig and geometry? sounds like a new Muse album to me.......

Sadly most architects nowadays only need to know how to plagiarise things from pretty pictures in design magazines......
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 07:09 PM

Okay, I've got it (if you're really interested). I have an example where knowledge of chemistry would be important to an Industrial Engineer.

One of the main subjects of interest to an Industrial Engineer is finding out what the rate-limiting steps are in a manufacturing operation (among other things). Most chemical processes have impurities in them after one processing step. If you recrystallize the product once, you eliminate a small percentage of the impurities. If you recrystallize it again, you eliminate slightly more impurities, etc. Each time that you go through this process of removing impurities, it adds more time to your manufacturing process. That's important to an Industrial Engineer. Some steps occur quickly, and others take a long time. So as an industrial engineer you would want to reduce the number of slow steps as much as possible. If you work for a chemical company, or an oil company, etc., knowledge of chemistry would be important to you.

I deal with all of this stuff in Quality Assurance.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
Surely Physics is the central science as without gravity I'd my head even further in the clouds than I do now?

Ben
+1000

Physics is the number 1 science.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode