I Hate Floating Trem - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
I Hate Floating Trem

i dont know what the poop I'm doing wrong but i cant tune this darned trem for the life of me...ive broken two strings today trying to tune it...=[[[ anyone wanna buy my guitar lol...i get the low e tuned(a little sharp) then the high, then the b, then the a, then the g, then the d, but by time i tune the g and the d all the other strings are way flat....GAHHHHHH..then its a never ending circle till my trem is all the way forward and has no room to dive only pull back on trem bar...then *pop* there goes the e and the b string..help super frustrated at the moment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: I Hate Floating Trem

So...................you're blaming it?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

also I have looked at 4 different youtube vids and have followed instructions to a T still all flubbed up...super irritating
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

no just stating I can't do it...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

and no where in my post did I say its all the trems fault..
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezNoob View Post
no just stating I can't do it...
Ok then take it to a pro, it'll save you time, money and patience
The most important thing on any musical instrument is setting it properly, I think paying about 50-100 dollars(guessing) to a pro to set it the way you want is cheap as hell and it's the best investiment you could do to your guitar.It doesn't matter what amazing pups/neck etc it has if you'll always sound out of tune no matter how many times you tune your guitar.
Take it to a pro.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
So...................you're blaming it?
"i dont know what the poop I'm doing wrong but i cant tune this darned trem for the life of me"

I'm no scholar but that doesn't say this trem wont let me tune it...or it's the trems fault...it obviously says that I know I'm doing something wrong but don't know what. I've read everything on here...watched youtube videos but I still can't do it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
and no where in my post did I say its all the trems fault..
When you say you hate floating trems you're blaming all of them for something you aren't able to do.So what you should hate is your lack of knowledge to set them properly.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:13 PM

Reviews: 21

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Read this.
Try to be patient. If you're new to a trem it will NOT be easy! If needs be take it to a professional or someone you know who's good at setup. Hopefully, they'll let you see what they're doing. Getting the spring and string tension to match on the proper angle is a big part of it. Rich's guide is an outstanding source of info; one I wish I had when I was starting out.
Best of luck!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

can't none local 2 hour drive to get it to a shop and thats out of the question since i get off work at 6 and it would be 8 before i got it to a shop and they all close at 7...so i guess the Les Paul will be played
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Read this.
Try to be patient. If you're new to a trem it will NOT be easy! If needs be take it to a professional or someone you know who's good at setup. Hopefully, they'll let you see what they're doing. Getting the spring and string tension to match on the proper angle is a big part of it. Rich's guide is an outstanding source of info; one I wish I had when I was starting out.
Best of luck!
yeah i looked at that tried going step for step but still...once 3 strings are in tune the other 3 are all jacked up
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE***put the guitar in the case and now have commenced to drinking beers
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:56 PM

OK, what kind of guitar is it and what kind of trem? Some trems are crap, and won't work fantastically well no matter how well setup.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
OK, what kind of guitar is it and what kind of trem? Some trems are crap, and won't work fantastically well no matter how well setup.
Even the most decrepid, grungiest, POS lo trs 2 will eventually get in tune at some point. what happens after you touch the bar is another thing all together.

OP, for starters, it sounds like your springs are WAAAYYYY too loose. You need to tighten them down a lot it sounds like.

Trick of mine, and I've seen others do it to, take a bottle cap off a 20oz coke or something like that, and wedge it underneath the bridge. The bridge will now sit on top of the bottle cap and it should hold it tight.

Now, start putting strings on and tightening them down. Every so often check the tension on the bottle cap. If you can start wiggling it around freely, tighten the springs on the back until you cant move it anymore (not too tight!). This process will take a while, and you need to repeat as needed to keep it in tune. Once your strings are all on and in tune, make sure the cap is still tight, but just barely. ease out the cap and release the trem. It should be CLOSE to where you need it to be.

Also, keep in mind, new strings + floyd rose = headache for a while. its GOING to go out of tune. In fact I dont even bother tightening the lock nuts until I beat on the new strings for 15-20 minutes (bends, whammies, hard strumming). Tune, repeat. Tune, repeat. I can set a guitar to float in 5 minutes now, but it still takes a while for the string tension to settle on the guitars and the strings to stretch enough to get a stable tune.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
UPDATE***put the guitar in the case and now have commenced to drinking beers
Now your getting the hang of it ...everything after will be easy
You'll still be outa tune tho

Tags
floating trem tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode