Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Re: I have carpal tunnel syndrome
Hi there !
I feel for you bigtime.
You're smart to hav evisited your doc soon. I waited and ended up playing very minimally for about half a year. A list of the things I did which completely prevented it from coming back:
- Engage in sports! A fit body can handle things like this a lot better
- Use light gauge strings ( if you aren't already )
- Buy a scalloped neck guitar ( might not be necessary, but worked for me )
- Play while watching your hands in a mirror
- try to relax your hands as much as possible while playing. Go overboard, play with left hand mutes and build up tension just enough to fret the notes.
- Watch posture while playing. A good angle in back, shoulders, wrist and fingers is essential for a good blood flow.
- Take breaks while playing
- Add a trackball or other pointing device to your mouse driven computer. Switch them up.
- When building up when you start, stop on first signs, no questions asked.
- Play standing up, sitting down, hanging upside down, on one leg, etc. switch postures.
- Watch potassium intake. Eat good in general.
- And a lot more I can't recall just now.
And while you're not able to play the guitar.. Compose music without it! It will make you a better musician !
CTS can be beaten if you take it smart. Hang in there, better times will come ! I can easily shred for a long time now again without problems. My technique has improved a lot because of the measures I took and my musicality has grown in the process.
Hang in there !