I Opened A Guitar Store! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

I Opened A Guitar Store!

I'm not a registered dealer here and I'm not responsible for running any of the day to day of the store so I'm not going to post links or respond to any PM about it (dont worry mods!), but I just thought I'd share that I opened a guitar store for a community I run! We successfully raised the capital we needed via our community and ordered over 50 guitars from various brands including everyone's favorite here.

It's pretty exciting and a bit of a childhood dream I guess. Already accidentally gave in and ordered a Mayones for myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:11 PM

Re: I Opened A Guitar Store!

Congratulations! I understand why there are forum rules but it would be odd if you could not talk about opening a guitar store with guitarists. Now, when you say you "run a community" what exactly do you mean?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Kind of like a forum but meant for the guys into prog metal mostly.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Already accidentally gave in and ordered a Mayones for myself.
I guess we can expect to see that in the classifieds in about a week and a half

Congrats on the guitar store for your facebook group though, that's great entrepreneurial spirit you've got going there.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 03:14 AM
Vendor

I'm jealous. You opened a store you don't even have to run? I wish I had thought of that!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:26 AM

Good luck with it!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks gentlemen. It is very difficult to avoid "getting high off your own supply" as a street pharmacist would say. Verrry tempted to nab a swirly UV. Doesn't help that Ron Thorn swirled them and I love him because he is one of the best people ever to deal with -_-
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 10:54 AM

Congrats!

We had a long standing guitar store run by business people who were totally about the bottom line, but not guitars or music. The previous two owners of that store over many, many decades didn't have a pulse on the guitar playing public even though some were my friends. This is too often the case so I am glad you, being a guitar player, have a store!

The best the very many store owners (who don't play) could do is read reviews or simply go by a headstock name. But not all Fenders are the same, not all Ibanezes are the same, and I suspect even not all Mayones guitars are the same.

Out of necessity of having to have a job, I have been in a field selling stuff, not knowing or caring, I could never get a bead on what the experienced customer was all about with the fine details on something I didn't partake in. I sold guns at the field's equivalent of a Guitar Center, and we saw guns and ammo of all sorts but sold what corporate told us worked in the hundreds of stores we had. People would come in and say a certain Kalashnikov hunting rifle would be way off, yet we sold them because we had thousands of them sold off cheap by the USSR, and I couldn't imagine buying a firearm from this megastore because they bought huge lots of stuff. I figure guitars are the same.

The longtime local store sold Gibson guitars and during a turbulent time of that company, they had major issues with a new nitro finish which was more unstable than the already delicate finish, and instead of listening to the many customers who had issues, the store denied the issue and continued selling the Gibsons because they were a major vendor. It's those types of things an experienced guitar playing customer knows about but a profit driven store or chain won't care about or choose to address. Now that's nothing against Gibson per se, or any certain gun manufacture per se, but shows what a profit driven store may feel compelled to do. There's never anything wrong with profit, but if it drives a business then it's bound to eventually top out and then decline. Over here in the states, the biggest guitar chain's major owner is a perennial presidential candidate known for his previous exploits in arbitrage.

Congrats, we need more people like you.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 03-29-2016 at 11:02 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

The first week or so has been awesome, and it's nice having a community behind the store. The Ibanez we have got in so far have been the best out of all brands in terms of QC surprisingly. Even the super cheap ones are much more consistent than what we buy from other brands. We had one brand where he had to return about 40% of the guitars we received.

I'm also a little surprised by how much of a role dealers play doing QC. Not a huge deal, but it is kind of disturbing what would reach the customer if dealers were not filtering out so many bad guitars.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Thanks guys!

The first week or so has been awesome, and it's nice having a community behind the store. The Ibanez we have got in so far have been the best out of all brands in terms of QC surprisingly. Even the super cheap ones are much more consistent than what we buy from other brands. We had one brand where he had to return about 40% of the guitars we received.

I'm also a little surprised by how much of a role dealers play doing QC. Not a huge deal, but it is kind of disturbing what would reach the customer if dealers were not filtering out so many bad guitars.
With a few guitars not properly set up from a company, you can take the time to make them right (cough Gibson cough Fender) but with too many there's no time. There's hardly time to polish them and keep them in tune behind all the customers if there are a lot. You have to pay your vendors and employees, and do business-sy stuff that improperly setup gear is just a time suck.

I always wondered why Ibanez dealers who also carried Fender and Gibson just HATED the two legendary American companies but from the 1970s until now the story was still the same, setup and bad QA.

Ibanez necks and Ibanez QA is like the Toyota or Honda of the field, in that every year they are the best right out of the box in terms of quality and setup.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Oh man it's not even setups or anything like that. It's flaws like cracks in binding, or router burn marks, etc...

Really just kind of shocking some brands will send out guitars like that.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 08:01 PM

get a business lawyer <-- trust me you 'll need one no matter what and they are helpful on helping you understand the business end of things! they can be costly but look around and when you go see your lawyer ensure you have bullet points to discuss and don't mess around they are paid by the hour!
get a loan if you keep the name of the store it will be easier for you to get a loan if not then just hope you have good credit or a co-signer....
Other than that the lawyer is your first step!!!
Get on it i want some more guitars
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedsalim7216 View Post
get a business lawyer <-- trust me you 'll need one no matter what and they are helpful on helping you understand the business end of things! they can be costly but look around and when you go see your lawyer ensure you have bullet points to discuss and don't mess around they are paid by the hour!
get a loan if you keep the name of the store it will be easier for you to get a loan if not then just hope you have good credit or a co-signer....
Other than that the lawyer is your first step!!!
Get on it i want some more guitars
Great advice.

I even went to law school but was involved in a business where two key leaders had a falling out so with no merit, one accused the other of being forced out because he was homosexual and HIV positive.

All hell broke loose and every attacking lawyer came down on business, board, and employees like nobody's business. There were counter-suits and eventually allegations both ways got so out of hand. Even though leaders and employees on the side being sued had people with HIV, the original allegation is what got the ball rolling. It was like in the movie Philadelphia with Tom Hanks.

It was later that people from both sides, with perspective and cooler heads and a later forgiving mood, saw that in any venture that involves money and sometimes potentially hurt egos, things can go way out of whack and a staff lawyer can help the business avoid the big issues. It didn't go to any court or trial but it was an expensive mess. I worked with a woman in another job where she didn't like the boss and said if she ever got fired, she could and would accuse them of sexual harassment, even if nothing happened. She knew she could start a ****storm and that was her ace in her sleeve or nuclear option. If you don't like your boss, don't accuse them of sexual harassment if it's not true. But even if you do, with no merit, you can still really stick it to somebody if you feel so inclined.

Not that any of this will ever happen to your business, but if you make a mistake that any lawyer can see as an affront to a protected group, you can be in for hard, hard times.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-21-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode