I started cycling again (life changing) - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

I started cycling again (life changing)

So weather finally broke here in Indiana to where it is not 39 degrees in the morning and I was finally able to get out riding comfortably.

In early April I decided that I would get in better health which entailed getting my cholesterol and triglycerides in check and getting my blood sugars normal. I had sort of spun out of control. I stopped eating fried foods Jan 1st and started a Veganish diet April 4th to get my fats under control. In just 3-4 weeks I brought my A1C down 1.2 points and for the first time ever I have "good" cholesterol, my tri's were so high before and the bad was so bad the good could not be read. I am exercising to raise my "Good" cholesterol to an acceptable level.

I am down about 35 # from last year and with my overall health in better shape, my cycling has become fun again. I feel light on the bike and my heart rate stays in check. I have a couple of weeks with 70 miles already and going long (50+) does not seem daunting like it used to be.

Also, for the first time in my cycling career, I can wear a pocketed Jersey. I was never really able to fit into one comfortably. I have POCKETS!!!!!!

It is amazing how much better I feel. I still have 15-20 # to lose to flatten my stomach how I want it but the lifestyle change will get me there eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 09:35 AM

Re: I started cycling again (life changing)

I am so in awe. I need to get started riding again as well. Picked up 30 lbs since I stopped and it's been discomforting.
post #3 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Do it man!!! Only you can make the decision!!!!!! It's great though to be back out.

Kind of why I posted, I hadn't seen any cycling posts from anyone.
post #4 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 09:59 AM

Good work man, I just bought a bike a few weeks ago to get back into.
post #5 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
Do it man!!! Only you can make the decision!!!!!! It's great though to be back out.

Kind of why I posted, I hadn't seen any cycling posts from anyone.
Yeah, getting ready to do so. I'll try to lose 10-15 lbs on the commuter as I don't think I can do any climbing with the standard cranks on the road bike as chubby as I am now ...
post #6 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Awesome guys!!!! I look forward to hearing about progress!!!!

Thanks!!! It was either this or an early death. I had a customer of mine die at age 43 a month or two ago, it really kind of jolted me.

Kiss, is it really hilly out there?

Elcid, what did ya get???

Jeff
post #7 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:23 AM

It's really not that hilly, but my regular weekend ride has two hills that average around 8-10% slope and depending on how many repeats I do, I usually end up between 1500-2200 feet of climbing over 35-40 mile rides.

Ihsan
post #8 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Wow!! Good training though but tough if we are carrying that extra weight!!!

The highest on my 20 mile ride is 3%ish.

Are we going to hear a ride report soon?
post #9 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 05:40 PM

I hope ...
post #10 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Got 32 Miles in tonight at about 17MPH average.Negative more calories than my budget on Lose It.
post #11 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 11:16 AM

Hey man, awesome news! I've been a cyclist for a while now - I did a ton of mountain biking as a kid, but I bought my first road bike in 2007 after moving to Boston and not really being able to easily get on dirt. Got increasingly serious about it, and ended up riding the Pan Mass Challenge (two day Jimmy Fund/Dana Faber fund raiser, 110 miles on day 1 and 82 on day 2) in 2012. I wasn't going to do it in 2013 anyway but I ended up tearing my ACL that spring which set me back (and essentially undid all the fitness I'd been working up prior to that, lol), but got back into it last season, and cumulated with a 120-miler from Boston to Provincetown on the tip of the Cape with a few of my riding buddies.

This year we're doing a 170-mile two day (100/70) MS fundraiser (one of my riding buddies has a cousin who just lost her mother to MS), and doing that P-town ride again, so now that there aren't 10 feet of snow on the ground I've been getting out there and trying to work off the winter weight.

I'm about 6', and peaked out about 205 this winter (all time high for me) so I'm trying to get back down to about 185, which is what I weighted at the end of the summer I rode the PMC. I'm down to the mid-high 190s and the riding season's only really getting started out here in Boston. The big thing for me is while my diet actually isn't all that bad, I unquestionably drink a bit too much, which has been keeping my blood sugar a little higher than it should be and cholesterol somewhat elevated for my age. Even just some modest tapering off - say, not having a beer or two with dinner most nights - has probably made a difference, and as I start riding more I should speed things up somewhat too.

That's a pretty good pace, man - sustaining 17 for a 30 miler isnt bad at all. I think I have a little more in the way of hills than you do out here - Boston itself is pretty flat, but I grew up in the northern Berkshires so I usually ride Mt. Greylock a couple times a summer. From my parents' place to the summit is about total elevation gain of 3,500 feet or so (gross - net is about 2k) over 33 miles, and the mountain itself is probably an average of about 8% grade once you start the main ascent, but peaks out in 14-15% in places. It's BRUTAL. You basically just have to grunt it out in your granny gear, and no matter how many times you do it, it never gets any easier - it hurts just as much, but you go from like a 4mph pace to maybe a 6-8.
post #12 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

That's Awesome Drew, I did not realize you rode!!!

My buddy has done some of the AIDS and MS rides across states. Really neat stuff. It was before I really go into riding. We toured across North Dakota a couple of years ago. 75 Miles a day, about 500 miles total over 7 days. Bike weighed 100# by itself and I was probably 250# when we did it.

The same buddy who rode the MS rides went out to Boston a year ago and rode from Cleveland to Boston, up into Maine. He rode Mt Greylock to see somebody's house or something up there. I was supposed to go with him but had a degenerative disk issue a couple of weeks before that killed that idea.

LOL about hills. Central Indiana is FLAT!!!!!!!! The highest I get is about 3% grade, an overpass on some rides is higher than any hill.

I started out mountain biking too in 2000, still got my Spec. Rockhopper and go out occasionally, not as brave as I used to be. My riding buddy talked me into getting a road bike and I bought my Klein in 2001. I have varied in distances year to year, mostly because of my health and back. We have done century rides all over the US.

We are going to do the Twin City Lights ride in Sept. which is in New Jersey.

What were your cholesterol #'s? Hit 960 in Tryglycerides.

Look forward to talking cycling with ya too!!

Jeff
post #13 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
Awesome guys!!!! I look forward to hearing about progress!!!!

Thanks!!! It was either this or an early death. I had a customer of mine die at age 43 a month or two ago, it really kind of jolted me.

Kiss, is it really hilly out there?

Elcid, what did ya get???

Jeff

Got a Haro something or another with 29" wheels nthe guy at the shop said that was the way to go. I know sweet f.a. About biking, I just can't run or treadmill so biking seemed like the best choice. Was finally able to hit the trails today, taking it easy to start, I only went for an hour but according only old heart rate monitor it was good for 900 calories. I'm ok with that
post #14 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

GREAT JOB!!!! Biking is a great choice but I'm biased.

900 adds up quick when your up and down those trails!!!!
post #15 of 547 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:06 AM

I'm hoping the 900 wasn't a hoax, that seems high but if it's right I'll take it. I need to be able to track what I do to stay motivated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode