I want to order some Absinthe for new years but... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

I want to order some Absinthe for new years but...

Yeah, were having a big party and I told everyone I really wanted to order some for it, but I have no clue where to begin or what to buy, theres swiss, French, Czech, Spanish, red, green, clear etc...I know its popular over there on the other side of the pond, so anyone have any experience?

theres also a few different websites like

http://www.absinth.com/
http://www.eabsinthe.com/
http://www.absinthe.bz/
http://www.absinthesupply.com/

The last 2 look almost identical, which to me is a bit sketchy. I would also like to deal in US prices.

HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:44 AM

Reviews: 12
Re: I want to order some Absinthe for new years but...

last time I had absinthe, it was "smuggled" from Poland... can't remember the name [durh :P] but i know it was green.
otherwise, make sure you know someone who knows how to serve it, or get practicing
or... have one of your european friend's or any of your friend's who are visiting europe find ya a bottle and take it to ya before new years!

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 12-20-2007 at 12:50 AM.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:44 AM

You can't buy (or import) proper Absinthe in the US. The chemical that is responsible for its hallucinogenic effects is prohibited in the US, so all absinthe sold here must be free of this chemical (thujone). It's as if they required Vodka to be free of alcohol.
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry View Post
You can't buy (or import) proper Absinthe in the US. The chemical that is responsible for its hallucinogenic effects is prohibited in the US, so all absinthe sold here must be free of this chemical (thujone). It's as if they required Vodka to be free of alcohol.
strange then, these websites that sell thujone containing Absinthe says its not illegal to possess or import, just to sell in stores and bars, and they are willing to ship to the US.

http://www.absinthe.bz/store/absinthe-king-gold.html
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:53 AM

Hmm, actually, I've just looked up http://thujone.info and they seem to suggest that in 2007 the US allowed up to 10mg/l of thujone in alcoholic beverages, which is coincidentally a EU standard. I wonder how that compares with absinthes from, say, fifty years ago.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Thujone is not a hallucinogen, nor is absinth. That is a myth.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

and from Wiki

United States

Foods or beverages that contain Artemisia species, White Cedar, oak moss, tansy or Yarrow must be thujone-free.[13] Other herbs that contain thujone have no restrictions. For example, sage and sage oil (which can be 50%+ thujone) are on the Food and Drug Administration's list of substances generally recognized as safe.[14] Recently, the laws against absinthe have been relaxed in the U.S. as there is now a thujone-containing absinthe that can be legally imported
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyr Machine View Post
Thujone is not a hallucinogen ... That is a myth.
That must be some powerful myth, since it's banned or limited in a lot of countries. It all depends on how much of it you take and for how long.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That must be some powerful myth, since it's banned or limited in a lot of countries. It all depends on how much of it you take and for how long.
Its banning is 100% based on centuries old propaganda. There has been many, many full blown labs tests on it, and its harmless, you would die from alcohol poisoning long before it would start to affect you.. It being a hallucinogen is based off of poor quality distilling and harmful additives to make the liquor more green, which, back in the 1800's mean it would sell better.

anyways, back to the subject...
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:17 AM

Yeah, I just read about this a few weeks ago. Can't remember the name of the company, but it's in California and they have just been given the green light to produce it for sale in the states. The halluconigenic stuff is the Absinthe that is distilled in wormwood, which the stateside stuff will not be.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:28 AM

Just be careful if serving it with fire (correctly.)

My mate went on holiday to Turkey last year and after a few, thought it'd be a good idea to just ask for the bottle. Of course Absinthe is lethal stuff so he was wasted and dropped the bottle... not a big deal until you realise he was lighting it and set the whole bar on fire!
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:
No, it's doesn't depend at all. It's not a hallucinogen. It's banned in some countries for the same reason many other drugs are: paranoid lobbyists.

Quote:
Just be careful if serving it with fire (correctly.)
Serving it "correctly" would involve diluting it with ice water and dissolving some sugar in it.

On topic: It's completely legal in Canada, though each province has it's own restrictions on thujone content (BC has none) You might try ordering some from here. Customs technically has the authority to cease it, but they rarely do.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:45 AM

Here's a few links on what I was talking about...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...O9FM.DTL&tsp=1
http://www.nbc11.com/news/14784216/detail.html
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...349664b771e28a

Good luck...
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyr Machine View Post
No, it's doesn't depend at all. It's not a hallucinogen. It's banned in some countries for the same reason many other drugs are: paranoid lobbyists.

Serving it "correctly" would involve diluting it with ice water and dissolving some sugar in it.

On topic: It's completely legal in Canada, though each province has it's own restrictions on thujone content (BC has none) You might try ordering some from here. Customs technically has the authority to cease it, but they rarely do.
No, sorry I was thinking Sambuca.

And I'm a barman!
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
No, sorry I was thinking Sambuca.

And I'm a barman!
I've never even heard of Sambuca...so I guess we're even

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode