Ibanez guitars with fat necks? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez guitars with fat necks?

This is an offshoot of the Ibanez neck profile poll, so as not to side track it or clutter it up.

After discovering that I do better with a fatter "Les Paul" kind of neck, but being an Ibanez lover... I'm wondering what Ibanez guitars have a "baseball bat" neck? I've heard the JS guitars have fatter necks... Are they closer to a Les Paul type?

I don't have access to a wide selection of music stores locally, so I thought I would ask around here. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:13 PM

Re: Ibanez guitars with fat necks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
This is an offshoot of the Ibanez neck profile poll, so as not to side track it or clutter it up.

After discovering that I do better with a fatter "Les Paul" kind of neck, but being an Ibanez lover... I'm wondering what Ibanez guitars have a "baseball bat" neck? I've heard the JS guitars have fatter necks... Are they closer to a Les Paul type?

I don't have access to a wide selection of music stores locally, so I thought I would ask around here. Thanks for any help!
While the JS100 neck I have played is fatter than some RG necks, it's still just medium.

You would probably want to play a neck like on my 2006 Artcore AS73 which is 1.04" inches at 12th fret. The new AS73s have a slightly slimmer neck but are still fat by Ibanez standards. It's similar to my 1980 Les Paul Custom which is fatter on 1st fret but not as fat on 12th fret. It's the way that neck was cut and shaped. The AS73 is fairly fat like a lot of Gibson necks. Also the Ibanez ART necks on Les Paul type solidbody guitars are similar.

The fat necks can sometimes seem to help the notes ring out a little longer or at least with more bass end. I am sure the pickups make much more of a difference but the fat neck and a big neck to heel joint adds a tiny bit imho.

I played an older Les Paul Custom with EMG 81s and it was the fattest thing around but then when put into some Gibson Flying Vs, the sound was equally big and fat. I did detect, on clean settings, somewhat of a richer sound with the fatter Les Paul neck over the '67 Flying V necks, but only when tone was rolled off a little. But with distortion, all three guitars were virtually identical.

I actually like the feel of the fatter neck even if the sound is barely noticeable when plugged in.

If you get a chance, try out a really beefy 1958 Les Paul reissue neck, then the slightly thinner 1959 Les Paul reissue neck, and finally a more modern slim taper 1960 Les Paul neck. All are thicker than most modern superstrats, but they run the gamut of Gibson type necks for Les Pauls. I would say my Artcore AS73 is in between the 1959 neck and 1960 neck. There may be a very old school Ibanez out there with a super fat 1958 shaped neck but nothing of late from the company. Ibanez and their shredder image probably doesn't allow for enough of a clientele to look for super fat necks. Most Gibsons off the shelf won't have '58 or '59 necks because too many players will find them slow.

Finally, if interviews are to be believed, Paul Gilbert's Fireman is supposed to have a substantial neck. It's 0.944" inches at 12th fret which is bigger than typical RG but not as fat as current AS73 Artcore. The neck heel joint is pretty big and good for a thick sustain which he especially loves on this model. I don't know of any current RG or S with a big neck from a recent vintage.

With a fat neck, there's somewhat less fatigue playing first position open chords due to position of hand and wrist but it's a little harder to play up near the 12th fret and beyond for long time periods with it. With bends or faster passages on the higher frets on a fat neck it can get painful after a few minutes if you are doing something repetitive like recording. Gibson knows this well and they came up with a great fix for this with the Les Paul Access. It has the big Les Paul neck but took off quite a bit of wood near the neck/heel joint and is pretty easy to play from 12th fret and beyond without fatigue. Some years back Aria made a thinner neck/heel joint on their Les Paul like guitars and that helped with fatigue issues.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-21-2014 at 01:21 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:37 PM

the Fireman has a fatter neck
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
While the JS100 neck I have played is fatter than some RG necks, it's still just medium.

You would probably want to play a neck like on my 2006 Artcore AS73 which is 1.04" inches at 12th fret. The new AS73s have a slightly slimmer neck but are still fat by Ibanez standards. It's similar to my 1980 Les Paul Custom which is fatter on 1st fret but not as fat on 12th fret. It's the way that neck was cut and shaped. The AS73 is fairly fat like a lot of Gibson necks. Also the Ibanez ART necks on Les Paul type solidbody guitars are similar.

The fat necks can sometimes seem to help the notes ring out a little longer or at least with more bass end. I am sure the pickups make much more of a difference but the fat neck and a big neck to heel joint adds a tiny bit imho.

I played an older Les Paul Custom with EMG 81s and it was the fattest thing around but then when put into some Gibson Flying Vs, the sound was equally big and fat. I did detect, on clean settings, somewhat of a richer sound with the fatter Les Paul neck over the '67 Flying V necks, but only when tone was rolled off a little. But with distortion, all three guitars were virtually identical.

I actually like the feel of the fatter neck even if the sound is barely noticeable when plugged in.

If you get a chance, try out a really beefy 1958 Les Paul reissue neck, then the slightly thinner 1959 Les Paul reissue neck, and finally a more modern slim taper 1960 Les Paul neck. All are thicker than most modern superstrats, but they run the gamut of Gibson type necks for Les Pauls. I would say my Artcore AS73 is in between the 1959 neck and 1960 neck. There may be a very old school Ibanez out there with a super fat 1958 shaped neck but nothing of late from the company. Ibanez and their shredder image probably doesn't allow for enough of a clientele to look for super fat necks. Most Gibsons off the shelf won't have '58 or '59 necks because too many players will find them slow.

Finally, if interviews are to be believed, Paul Gilbert's Fireman is supposed to have a substantial neck. It's 0.944" inches at 12th fret which is bigger than typical RG but not as fat as current AS73 Artcore. The neck heel joint is pretty big and good for a thick sustain which he especially loves on this model. I don't know of any current RG or S with a big neck from a recent vintage.

With a fat neck, there's somewhat less fatigue playing first position open chords due to position of hand and wrist but it's a little harder to play up near the 12th fret and beyond for long time periods with it. With bends or faster passages on the higher frets on a fat neck it can get painful after a few minutes if you are doing something repetitive like recording. Gibson knows this well and they came up with a great fix for this with the Les Paul Access. It has the big Les Paul neck but took off quite a bit of wood near the neck/heel joint and is pretty easy to play from 12th fret and beyond without fatigue. Some years back Aria made a thinner neck/heel joint on their Les Paul like guitars and that helped with fatigue issues.
Wow... thanks for the detailed info! Sounds like I need to take a trip to KC to Guitar Center. I took a quick look online and there is quite a selection of ART, ARC, ARX, ARZ, etc... I saw some were made in China though, so I'll have to do a little research.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Here's one... I made the neck though

My Green Dot RG550... 21.5mm at the 1st and 23mm at the 12th. Pretty chunky for an RG!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Wow!! Thats a beauty!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 10:01 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
If you get a chance, try out a really beefy 1958 Les Paul reissue neck, then the slightly thinner 1959 Les Paul reissue neck, and finally a more modern slim taper 1960 Les Paul neck. All are thicker than most modern superstrats, but they run the gamut of Gibson type necks for Les Pauls.
This is good advice.
Personally, my Gibson has a 60s "slim taper" neck, and I totally love it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 03:51 PM

Fireman, its a tree.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

The Fireman... I looked them up and I like the neck measurements! Not super keen on the design... I mean, i'ts good looking, but if you show up with a guitar shaped like that you better be able to play lights out... lol! I keep mine to strat or les paul shaped stuff. I might have to look into them though. Thanks!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
The Fireman... I looked them up and I like the neck measurements! Not super keen on the design... I mean, i'ts good looking, but if you show up with a guitar shaped like that you better be able to play lights out... lol! I keep mine to strat or les paul shaped stuff. I might have to look into them though. Thanks!
HA! I agree, I have a Nate Perle Fireman and probably wouldn't gig with it, (not in my current band anyway) If somebody in a band has one, you kind of expect a certain something. Maybe that's why PG is the only guy playing them I wonder if the old lawsuit Ibbys have fatter necks?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:01 AM

Off the top of my head, I'd say Artcores, Artists, Fireman.

One of the cool things Ibanez does on the website is post detailed neck measurements, so it's easy to find the neck dimensions.

Peace

Mike

Tags
baseball bat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode