Ibanezcollectors surgery or lack there of... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Ibanezcollectors surgery or lack there of...

Well I have a polinadal cyst on my back, and it gets infected from time to time. This morning I was supposed to have a routine operation that the doctor said and I quote "At least a week off work and activitys"

Well I decided last night to just read up on what to expect from the surgery. Untold to me this would be a major surgery and the average healing time is somewhere between 7-10 weeks just for the wound to close.

The wound would be 2.5" by 2.5" and almost 1.75" deep and would be left open to heal on its own with a infection chance of 25-30%. It would also have to be redressed every other day by a wound care facility.

This doctor never told me a thing about that, other than its routine surgery. So I went to surgery this morning and first thing I did was tell the receptionist, I need to speak to the doctor before we do a damn thing. She said ill see if he will talk to you. I told her if he doesnt were done for sure. So he comes out and I begin asking him about the stuff I read, and he basically agreed and confirmed it all. So I asked him why wouldnt he tell me something like this, and immediatly cancelled the surgery.

There is no way in heck I can go that long with out being able to do regular activitys especially when my job dictates I have to bend up and down all day(im a shoe salesman -insert Al Bundy jokes here)

I am so glad I decided to just see what it was about, otherwise I would be really screwed.

Doctors should really be upfront and tell the person everything not give them some false sense of security.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM

Re: Ibanezcollectors surgery or lack there of...

Back surgery can be a scary thing. I had (still do) a slipped disk years ago. Had me damn near crippled for a couple months. I decided to wait on surgery. My back's still screwed up but I'm fully functional again. My regular doc told me that I probably did the right thing so that made me feel better.

I guess it really depends on how bad the problem is. Second opinions, and thirds are always a good plan.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:14 AM

Always get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. You'll be surprised how different they can be from one another. Don't even get me started on doctors Glad you didn't have to go through with it, but eventually you'll have to have it removed......no??
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:22 AM

I too wish Dr.s' would be more upfront. I am pretty lucky I have good Dr.'s mine are straight forward compasionate and caring. Shop around, I know its tough but there are good Doc's out there. I wont deal with the ones that try to BS ya or treat there patients like cattle. Just my opinion you oughta get that cyst taken care of cuz it won't go away. Don't make peace with it. Just my 2 cents. Hope everything works out for you.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:28 AM

AHHHHH....you just wanted to stay home and play that "new" guitar!!! Good excuse though.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:31 AM

Yeah, he figured he'd just milk you for the next few months. After all, once you got the surgery what choice would you have? Thank god for google.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 AM

It probably is "routine surgery" to those performing the operation!!
Lucky you asked.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:42 AM

Sorry to hear, back surgery is tough, my brother had back surgery done, he had a crack bone, and slipeed discs, which later caused shooting pains down his legs or numbness. He also would miss a lot of work, when he pulled his back out. His operation was not bad, but it did lay him up for a month, and now he fine.

So what can be done about the cyst? I always see on House, that cyst can go away in time, or based on medication or eating on a specific diet; but that’s on TV.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:46 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

in a couple of weeks - assuming it's not giving you trouble now - get a second opionion. you NEED to transfer your records (or get a copy) and bring a list of questions regarding treatment options, chance of reoccurance (with or without treatment), specifics about pre-surgery and post surgery, including recovery time, when you'd be able to drive a car and realistic "back to work" projections... glen
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Vendor

If doctors told the truth about their routine operations, they'd never have any patients
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:17 PM

Surgery is routine to a surgeon. Get info and ask questions. Research your operation like you were looking for a new guitar or amp.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:22 PM

Make sure they treat you like an Ibanez JEM and not a Chibanez. Extra care and top tools.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:56 PM

I'm really glad that, for your own safety, you read up on it!!
Way to do your homework!

~ Katrina
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
If doctors told the truth about their routine operations, they'd never have any patients
So true.

Sorry to hear about this, Ibanezcollector. I hope you can get a better opinion on this matter and I hope things go well for you.

Tags
ibanez jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

do you have to take time off of work to have surgery on a ganglion cyst

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode