ICE Cell Phone Numbers - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

ICE Cell Phone Numbers

Hey everyone..... I just got this e-mailed to me from a friend who is a physician and was wondering if anyone else had heard about this. Here's the info..... Anyway I thought I'd share it.

A recent article from the Toronto Star, "The ICE idea", is catching on and it is a very simple, yet important method of contact for you or a loved one in case of an emergency. As cell phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is program the number of a contact person or persons and store the name as "ICE".

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when they went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which numbers to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name to file "next of kin" under.

Following a disaster in London the East Anglican Ambulance Service has launched a national "In case of Emergency (ICE)" campaign. The idea is that you store the word "ICE" in your mobile phone address book, and with it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency ". In an emergency situation, Emergency Services personnel and hospital staff would then be able to quickly contact your next of kin, by simply dialling the number programmed under "ICE".

Please forward this. It won't take too many "forwards" before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2, ICE3, etc. A great idea that will make a difference!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Re: ICE Cell Phone Numbers

So I got to doing a search on the web about this and it looks like it's been around for awhile. Oh well..... guess I'm passing on old news!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:55 AM

Still a great idea, and I had not heard about it.

Thanks for posting this.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:16 AM

Great idea!
...Hmmm....
I'll tell my parents about this!
Thanks a lot!

~ Katrina
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:45 AM

news to me
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:45 AM

though I have considered doing a similar thing myself on my phone.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 03:03 AM

Never heard of it, great idea.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 05:25 AM

Whenever I have found a mobile phone on the ground, has happened a few times. There are always "mother, father" or something like that. But with ICE you would be sure it's real, and not a funny name for someones cat. Will do ASAP.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 06:17 AM

My wife and I both starting using this idea a little over a year ago. I put in my wife's info and my brother's info too. Not a bad idea at all.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Guess I wasn't the only one that had not heard about it. I figured those from UK would know all about it. Glad to pass it on though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode