If we blind tested all of our gear... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
If we blind tested all of our gear...

How different of a rig would we have?

It seems to me that people get caught up in name brands and popular votes way too easily. Point and case: TGP'ers love the Tim pedal. Mesa's have forum based opinions. Everyone on TGP loves the Strymon Timeline. And I'm sure you all can think of many others involving Gibson, Mesa, Fender, etc etc.

Do you think this rings true? Or do you go off of what is the most sonically appealing to you? I know i've been biased towards a certain amp or guitar brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 12:02 AM

Re: If we blind tested all of our gear...

Well of course we all want the latest and greatest and that's not confined to guitar gear either! I could easily simplify and be happy but I've wanted all this gear since I was 12 and now I can afford it so why not
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 04:25 AM

Reviews: 21

I would know a Wizard neck in my sleep. I'd be able to tell how an RG feels and sounds too. Amp wise I think the difference between tubes and solid state would be obvious. Some brands, like Mesa, would probably be easier to tell apart than others.
Effects might be up in the air. I think a tubescreamer would be obvious. A DS-1 might be too depending on when it was made and if it was modded. Other effects might be harder to pick out.
Thinking of my own signal chain I'd like to think I could tell the difference between anything in it, but I guess I'm pretty used to it by now.
Whether or not I'd like something different based on a blind test would be interesting.
Good question.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 04:49 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I only buy gear based on what sounds and feels good to me, not what's currently "in." I'll always listen to advice from others, but it's what I like best that ends up in my collection.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Couldn't agree more AlaskaBat! I endured a lot of ridicule in the 90's (and still a little to this day) for playing Ibanez RG's. I think I was only playing what was "in" when Ibanez was huge in the early nineties and perhaps a little today.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 10:18 AM

I don't think you will ever find what sounds best. Have you really tested every guitar you've seen or read about? Or every amplifier you've seen, even those cheap $99 amps? It would take a lot of time and money to not listen to what other people say. There is no way to know for sure if something is good or bad just by reading about them in a magazine. I will happily admit I have gotten the best tones from a Gorilla amp and a Marshall MG, but each only one night, I was never able to get the same tone again. Neither did I run off to buy any of them. They were great for the kind of music I played that night and the tone they gave me (along with the rest of the gear) was enough to make the nights great. If I googled Gorilla or Marshall MG before I plugged in to any of those two amps, I probably wouldn't have touched any of them. Heck, I hardly ever test "practice amps" once I'm in a store - it must be tubes and preferably a stack or rack.

I see the difference between being the best you tried, and being the best possible according to your taste. My point is that you try what you try for a reason. It might be chosen by the store, which is often based on popularity and sales. I think most of us wouldn't hear a difference between $5,000 in our gear if someone really wanted to fool us. I know I wouldn't. That's why we like to swirl and customize our amps and guitars. It makes it OK for us to hang on to them, even if they sound like a bloated cow.

I think guitarists are corksniffers.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyTubes View Post
How different of a rig would we have?

It seems to me that people get caught up in name brands and popular votes way too easily. Point and case: TGP'ers love the Tim pedal. Mesa's have forum based opinions. Everyone on TGP loves the Strymon Timeline. And I'm sure you all can think of many others involving Gibson, Mesa, Fender, etc etc.

Do you think this rings true? Or do you go off of what is the most sonically appealing to you? I know i've been biased towards a certain amp or guitar brand.
I think these days there's a bigger emphasis on the opinions of other internet users than there used to be for sure.

A lot of folks are closetly seeking the peer-approval of random other guitarists that post on the same boards, they then congregate in the same gear orientated forum to pat each other on the back on the purchase of the same (or similar) guitar that everyone else on that board plays...

There's also a lot of hyperbole from internet reviewers. "This XYZ Guitar is the best guitar ever and it DESTROYS my old Ibanez JEM and Jackson Soloist, I highly recommend you buy this guitar" really means "I've just got a new guitar and I want to tell people how excited about it I am, I'm still in the honeymoon period so I'm playing it more than the other guitars I own. Please will you buy one too so I can be validated by the forum?

I think things like a guitar are always going to be somewhat visual, but now we have access to the opinions of so many guitarists on the internet, we want to be in the same clique as at least some of them.

Personally I'm very happy with my current rig which involves a host of Ibanez guitars into a Line 6 Spider 2. I don't sound particularly brilliant, but I'm snatching the odd half hour here and there to play, so the fact that I can get lots of different tones at the flick of a switch and not have to wait for valves to warm up is worth more to me than the approval of a handful of other internet bases soldano owners. it doesn't mean that the Soldano doesn't sound better though
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I only buy gear based on what sounds and feels good to me, not what's currently "in." I'll always listen to advice from others, but it's what I like best that ends up in my collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think these days there's a bigger emphasis on the opinions of other internet users than there used to be for sure.

A lot of folks are closetly seeking the peer-approval of random other guitarists that post on the same boards, they then congregate in the same gear orientated forum to pat each other on the back on the purchase of the same (or similar) guitar that everyone else on that board plays...

There's also a lot of hyperbole from internet reviewers. "This XYZ Guitar is the best guitar ever and it DESTROYS my old Ibanez JEM and Jackson Soloist, I highly recommend you buy this guitar" really means "I've just got a new guitar and I want to tell people how excited about it I am, I'm still in the honeymoon period so I'm playing it more than the other guitars I own. Please will you buy one too so I can be validated by the forum?

I think things like a guitar are always going to be somewhat visual, but now we have access to the opinions of so many guitarists on the internet, we want to be in the same clique as at least some of them.

Personally I'm very happy with my current rig which involves a host of Ibanez guitars into a Line 6 Spider 2. I don't sound particularly brilliant, but I'm snatching the odd half hour here and there to play, so the fact that I can get lots of different tones at the flick of a switch and not have to wait for valves to warm up is worth more to me than the approval of a handful of other internet bases soldano owners. it doesn't mean that the Soldano doesn't sound better though
+1000

What's good to you is good...PERIOD.
No matter what tv, magazines, stores or even internet want to force you to buy.

Right Jono and that's why I don't read reviews because what they say is about their tastes and not about mine, I just listen to reviews audio samples and if I like the sound I go to a store and try it.
People who bought their first ampli and have no experience about stage or recording studio keep making those dumb reviews saying this thing "destroys" all others(like you said).
Completely lack of experience and like The Euphor said, it's impossible to try everything to realize it really destroys all others.

Besides all of that our tastes are always changing, a person(personality,tastes etc) who never changes is dead so this month it "destroys" but next month it'll be just another gear in my basement because another one "destroyed" it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 05:05 PM

I've been playing Ibanez guitars and RG's for over 20 years and I still get a kick out of playing my RG3EXQM1 even though it's a red headed stepchild to even Ibanez owners.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I've been playing Ibanez guitars and RG's for over 20 years and I still get a kick out of playing my RG3EXQM1 even though it's a red headed stepchild to even Ibanez owners.
Bud-I'm the same way with my DT-420!

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 PM

Actually, the DT-420 is pretty legendary. Now if you mentioned the DT-200, which I own and also really like...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:07 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

There is a ton of truth in this.

I find the discussion on all internet forums useful even if it is repetitive, based on personal prejudices and predisposition to a brand and often a crutch to support somebodies insecurities about the gear they are buying; there is still a lot of experience that we can draw from and even if it isn't something we agree with. It's one of the reasons that I don't necessarily advocate pointing people to the search feature.

To quote Lord Percy "with learned discourse we rise above the savage and come closer to God".

I think that in any community there is a convention of favouring a particular brand or doctrine. I was talking to a guy who works as a recording engineer for one of the larger studios. We were talking about amps and guitars a lot and I was advocating Bare Knuckles. His thoughts (from what he was told) were that they were no good, and he wanted to know technically why I thought they were better. After some discussion we plugged in an amp and A/B'd some guitars of different types with different pickups. The difference in the clarity of the strings and harmonics was palpable and obvious with the Bare Knuckles being the clear winner. It doesn't necessarily mean that they would be better for studio use but my point is this: even in the recording industry with very experienced and successful producers and engineers there is a "received wisdom" that x is better than y, without explaining why (pun intended).

So, my attitude is this: I don't listen to or take any significant notice of anyone else's opinion (I don't mean offence by this) but I do consider very carefully the qualitative and quantitative and above all qualified observations when I am informing my decisions.

...... and yes, Soldanos are the best thing ever

Last edited by nickcoumbe; 07-17-2011 at 04:38 AM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
There is a ton of truth in this.

I find the discussion on all internet forums useful even if it is repetitive, based on personal prejudices and predisposition to a brand and often a crutch to support somebodies insecurities about the gear they are buying; there is still a lot of experience that we can draw from and even if it isn't something we agree with. It's one of the reasons that I don't necessarily advocate pointing people to the search feature.

To quote Lord Percy "with learned discourse we rise above the savage and come closer to God".

I think that in any community there is a convention of favouring a particular brand or doctrine. I was talking to a guy who works as a recording engineer for one of the larger studios. We were talking about amps and guitars a lot and I was advocating Bare Knuckles. His thoughts (from what he was told) were that they were no good, and he wanted to know technically why I thought they were better. After some discussion we plugged in an amp and A/B'd some guitars of different types with different pickups. The difference in the clarity of the strings and harmonics was palpable and obvious with the Bare Knuckles being the clear winner. It doesn't necessarily mean that they would be better for studio use but my point is this: even in the recording industry with very experienced and successful producers and engineers there is a "received wisdom" that x is better than y, without explaining why (pun intended).

So, my attitude is this: I don't listen to or take any significant notice of anyone else's opinion (I don't mean offence by this) but I do consider very carefully the qualitative and quantitative and above all qualified observations when I am informing my decisions.

...... and yes, Soldanos are the best thing ever
At the risk of becoming a mutal appreciation society, I think there are some excellent points here.

Firstly, the search function is an excellent feature, but it can have the propsensity to bring up threads that are 4 or 5 years old and don't always reflect current thinking on a product. I remember, way back when, when the PAF Pro were considered the go-to high gain pickup, either that of the Duncan JB. Then EMG were all the rage. then the DiMarzio Tone Zone was the one to go for and so on. All those pickups are now 20 years old or so and things have moved on since then. music has moved on since then and the forumites have (mostly) moved on since then... Sometimes it's good to get a fresh perspective.

Secondly, your point about the "received wisdom" is also particularly salient. Especially when it comes to internet forums. Often those with the most spare time and biggest sense of self importance post most often and most vocally. These are the guys who's opinions you'll see all over the various forums. Often copying the same post across several message boards, be it under the same or different usernames. However, these guys might not know the most about the gear they're playing or guitars in general.

The internet is a good thing to point you in the right direction, but everyone owes it to themselves to actually go and check things out, unless they're literally buying it to look at and keep in its case.

In fact don't look at it, don't even open the case. Don't even open the shipping box, then yours will be in the best condition possible!!!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 05:12 AM

Are you telling us not to use the search function!?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

I'm saying there's a place for it and sometimes it's ok to ignore it.

The "best" pickup on the market 5 years ago for music that was "in" 5 years ago, well that the info in those threads might not be of any value given today's gear.

So it very much depends on what question you're asking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode