I'm absolutely sick to death of... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

I'm absolutely sick to death of...

...Shops and their irritating bloody adverts.

Gawd knows what it's like Stateside, but here in the Yoo Kay it's unbearable. Ever since Christmas Eve we have been literally bombarded with lots of adverts, very irritating adverts at that, advertising "Sales" and "Great Deals". Bugger off, the lot of you! If I wanted to buy anything from your grimy shops then I'd say so! Honestly, it drives me insane.

Going into town, all you see everywhere are signs screaming "SALE!!!". I despair further as I watch hoardes of incredibly sad, deranged, unintelligent drones of people crowd into these shops, all completely clueless as to, well, anything. They are so brainwashed they lose all track of everything else in life and all around them... and manners go out the window. I see behaviour resembling that of Primary School children, people fighting and being incredibly childish. All over what? This "Sale" thing. They are obsessed with buying a whole load of complete and utter shee-hit that they neither want nor need. It is greed and ignorance of the most disgusting order. It is inane, mindless, utterly baffling. Why do they do it?

Additionally, most of these idiots then go on to fuel our nation's Credit Crisis, because they're too pig-headed to understand the meaning of "Don't touch what you can't afford". No, rather, they see some load of crap in the "Sale" and then see that they don't have enough money. Ah, that's OK, just bung it on the Credit Card. Or take out a loan that can't be paid back. Utter lunacy. No wonder the economy's screwed.

I am sick to death of adverts on the radio and on TV advertising sofas and other furniture in adverts of the sort of "Our biggest Sale yet! You need this NOW!". Are people actually so naive and unintelligent to fall for this load of old cobblers? I find it nauseating.

What do others think?

'87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 AM

Re: I'm absolutely sick to death of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder87 View Post
What do others think?
Exactly what you think mate!

I'm fed up with all these incredibly irritating adverts infecting my TV.
*sigh* I don't think I will ever understand why people feel the need to buy things on SALE purely for that reason.

-Sean
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 AM

It is the same here. TV, emails (tons of crap from online retailers) and sale signs posted all over the place around town.

This is the world we live in - we are nothing but "consumers" keeping these companies alive.

There are deals to be had for the savvy, so look for a silver lining to the bombardment of adverts.

Just my 2cents.

cheers,

Bones
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 07:29 AM

Reviews: 3

It's these furniture adverts that really get me. They make out they have *massive savings* when really you're not saving anything. Half price? When was it ever full price? To say you're saving anything is just a flat out lie. You're spending. And you're not paying any less than you would at any other time of the year.

Who buys a sofa right after christmas anyway?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 07:31 AM

We have the same stuff for furniture outlets and stores being stuffed down our throats too. I see your point
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 AM

Reviews: 1

What's worse is our retailers marking up prices before the holidays.
My wife purchased something for our 4 year old for $19.00 at a local toy seller, on the week prior to Christmas, the price was up 20% !

Brilliant! ! !

The other thing I've seen is places offering HUGE sales and discounts, but the day before, you see employees marking prices up and then adding a discount sticker next to the new price tag.
Talk about grimy.

Consumerism is ridiculous here too.

Of course our favorite ads are:

"For ONCE IN A LIFETIME DEALS, STOP IN TO GUITAR CENTER NOW ! ! !"
Of course, 'Once in a lifetime' happens every other weekend there.
"Buy 1 set of strings, get 10 sets free!"
"Buy 1 set of brand X drum sticks, get 10 sets free!"
"Buy any Gibson Les Paul, get a Marshall stack for only 29 BUCKS ! ! !"

Last edited by bammbamm; 01-04-2008 at 08:33 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 AM

Reviews: 21

Life is turning into a Philip K Dick novel....
Ubik! For use on your most delicate of delicates. Use only as directed!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 AM

Reviews: 16

The best deal that I've found recently is Christmas wrapping paper - 4 big rolls for $1.79 at Wallmart. The same paper was $7 before Christmas. I picked up 2 packs. That'll last me for another 3 years.

Other than that, there are no deals to be had. You have to be a smart shopper. You have to look online and compare prices and have an idea of what something costs when you go to a store. Besides the Christmas items, there weren't any sales that I saw in any store, despite the "HUGE AFTER CHRISTMAS SALE GOING ON NOW - EVERYTHING IN STORE IS 50% OFF OR MORE!"

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Banned

if you could really 'save' money by shopping. we'd all be rich by now!! I went shopping last night, and now I have less money. But dude, I got a new Dell. Finally replaced my dinasour.

true adverts are annoying, credit is BAD!!!

hey you young's, DON'T BUY WITH CREDIT!!!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

hey you young's, DON'T BUY WITH CREDIT!!!
Great advice.
Credit can seem like empowerment, correction, it is voluntary enslavement!
If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

Trust me, I have craving for the Ibanez Puzzle guitar, of which there are a few in shops around the U.S., I could slap down a credit card right now and buy 'em all up and horde them, but they have to be paid for somehow. If I don't have the cash on hand to allocate for one, I am not buying it, as much as I itch for one. Not to mention, I have a great project body I need to finish up and build before I throw $ at another guitar. Hmm, turning into a GAS thread?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Great advice guys. Wish I could follow it myself.

I have two more payments on my Puzzle Top before she is paid
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:31 PM

I started seeing the Xmas commercials & ad's the week BEFORE Thanksgiving this year.

Honestly I want to puke every time I see the ads.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:19 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540s View Post
I started seeing the Xmas commercials & ad's the week BEFORE Thanksgiving this year.

Honestly I want to puke every time I see the ads.
They start the second halloween is over here. You should be thankful you have another holiday to break up the season.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
You should be thankful you have another holiday to break up the season.

I suppose thats a good way to look at it

My 08 new years resolution is now officially to boycott all the "commercial" hollidays

In other words I'm only doing birthdays/annaversaries from this point foward.

The one exception to my resolution will be Valentines Day.... for selfish reasons though
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:45 PM

Thumbs down Re: I'm absolutely sick to death of...

My wife went grocery shopping on the 31st Dec' and to just see my reaction, brought home some "hot cross buns"!
I'm amazed there wasn't Easter eggs on the shelves already!!

Tags
gibson les paul , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode