im back again jemsite - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Reviews: 14
im back again jemsite

hi my friends here. i was out here for year and come back now. Just wanna share my story while i was away. I became a monk ! there is a Thai Buddhism tradition that all Thai guys must be a monk once in their life and all the good things will be come to our family.

My mom asked me for many many years ago when I can make it. Finally I have done. I moved to Chiangrai, very north of Thailand, and stayed in the far away temple. It was so bad in the first few weeks. I live my life in the city all of my life and then change to live there. behavior changed ..Eat once a day, no beer, no sex, no phone, no tv, no internet and no guitars! I had to get up 5.30 and went out for begging the food in the village far far away without shoes. Reading and studying all things about Buddha in every afternoon. It was hard time for me at the beginning.

Now its a little bit strange when I come back to the city seeing all my friends and work. I came back to my working office on Monday. Everything is the same but not me. My pals said I speak less and already stopped drinking.. hahaha ... now I came back to jemsite and have lot of threads to follow up. Alot of new gears and so many new things. I wanna say I miss here and I hope all you guys are happy as always.

Choo
PS - Ibanezfreak777 : hope you are doing well buddy :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 AM

Reviews: 25
Re: im back again jemsite

Hey choo.. I was wondering where you went

Sounds like you had an amazing experience..

I did something similar many years ago, but not for religion just for life experience. I just packed up my stuff and went to the country and worked on a farm.

Very simple living and just enjoying the fresh air.

Its a good experience, and it just shows you a different way to look at life.... away from money, bills, tax etc...

welcome back
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Hi Julian ! It was my good experience. actually I dont care anything about religion, but just for my mom. If it makes her happy I would do anything.

Now time to buy new gears! hahaha

Talk to you later. Gotta go home by now.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Reviews: 39

It's nice to meet you here.choo, glad you're experience was good but too bad you couldn't play guitar. How long did you study the Buddha?

I wish all the best for you and your family!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 02:08 PM

Wow, that sounds very interesting! I don't think I could do it! It must have been tough the first week or so. I guess you get used to it?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
It's nice to meet you here.choo, glad you're experience was good but too bad you couldn't play guitar. How long did you study the Buddha?

I wish all the best for you and your family!
Nice to meet you too SonicProvocateur :-) its a good experience once in my life. In Thailand its legal to leave our work to be a monk for a year.

Not only playing guitar which I could not do. There is 327 rules for the monk. Some are strange such are

- no soap when taking a bath (shower not allowed!)
- while walking - eyes should keep on the way for only 3 meters to see what you gonna step on. Stepping on the ants is breaking the rules.
- if i had a wet dream I have to confess to the buddha in the next day.
and many bla bla bla

I studied about buddha and his way for a year. Mostly about karma. :-)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Vendor

Did you rub his belly?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
Wow, that sounds very interesting! I don't think I could do it! It must have been tough the first week or so. I guess you get used to it?
Hi Jaxadam. Yeah .. I couldnt believe myself I have done it. First month was nightmare, but now first week in the city after come back is killing me. Should I go back to the mountain? .. hahaha
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Did you rub his belly?
hahaha .. no! How are you rich? everything is ok with you?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Vendor

Want to rub my belly?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 PM

Reviews: 18

Sounds like a very humbling experience here.choo. I think its incredibly honorable that you sacrificed so much for yourself and your family. Welcome back!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 12:04 AM

Reviews: 3

Interesting story... seems like something I'd like to do, but probably never have the bravery to commit to. Would be nice to just be alone with thought for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Want to rub my belly?
yes please.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirshredsalot View Post
Sounds like a very humbling experience here.choo. I think its incredibly honorable that you sacrificed so much for yourself and your family. Welcome back!
Thank you sirshredsalot. My mom is a holy Buddhism and she is getting old now (57 yrs) If I became a monk as she wanted me to be makes her happy. Why not? :-)

few yrs ago I lost my GF in the car accident. I havent done good to her enough. I always postponed what she wanted or wanted me to do. But now I still have my mom. She will be gone one day for sure, but I wont be so sad about what I havent done for her to make her happy when she is here. I wont cry and shake her body to wake her up like what I did to my GF. That story is teaching me everyday now to do the best to who I love. :-)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 12:19 AM

Congrats!

I'd still like to 'buat' once in my life, in Laos. My grandma is a mae kaow and she encourages me to do so. I'm just worried of a language barrier having grown up in the US, so I will probably have to spend a few years in the area before I'm ready.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by here.choo View Post
behavior changed ..Eat once a day, no beer, no sex, no phone, no tv, no internet and no guitars! I had to get up 5.30
I just discovered I am gluten intolrerant, and married with a child so this pretty much sounds like my life just need to get rid of the guitars, internet and tv!

Tags
come back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode