I'm buying a cell-phone, opinions please - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

I'm buying a cell-phone, opinions please

hi there,
I have decided to buy a cell phone after using nokia 3310 since its release day. I have been looking to phones and can't make up my mind on which one to get.
the options are;
Nokia 6230i - My father got it and I really like it. Can be used as a mp3 player. comes with 32 mb mmc. 1.3 mp camera

Nokia N90 - Truly a great phone. 2 mp camera, carl zeiss optics, 64 mb mmc included. What scares me is the size. I have not been able to get the phone in my hands, just the pictures from the net.

Sony Ericcsson W800 - This seems like a freaking beatiful thing. 2 mp camera, 512 mb mmc included etc... The thing with this one is I have never used this brand. I have always been a nokia user and I think they are the best phones in the market. I have looked at my friends' T610 and the like and did not like them much. I know this one's a higher end one but I really need a comfortable keyboard for writin messages. My 3310 has the best keyboard I have come across to and my father's 6230i has a decent keyboard as well. sony ericcsons' keyboards always felt a little sloppy to me. I cannot make my mind on this. If I can't find N90 this would be the choice but for the reasons I wrote I doubt this one a little.

My father will get me the phone and I'll probably be at school at the time so I can't check them out then and there. The only one I have had experience with is 6230i. Please write your opinions on these 3 phones. Or if you have other phones that you would recommend, you're welcome as well. I'm afraid I'm a little anal about nokia and seem to not like the other brands a lot.

Btw, the pictures taken with the W800 are better than those taken with N90. I have read the reviews at. www.gsmarena.com and they hold both phones in high esteem but they favor W800. Truly it takes greater pictures. I'm not a photgrapher and I know that I won't use the camera that much but I want to get the best while I can. Pictures taken with 6230i are sufficient for me for that matter. And I'll have to spend a little for mmc if I go with nokia (which will probably the case)

Thanks in advance my dear fellow jemsiters

Love from Turkey,

Can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:24 PM

Re: I'm buying a cell-phone, opinions please

If you need a nice keyboard, try the Treo.

wemedge
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 09:40 PM

tell you what.... get the nokia
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:16 PM

Erricsons are great phones. My brother has a K700i and it rules.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

well here's what I told my father...
I told him to get the N90 if he can find it, if not the W800i. If he can't find neither he'll get the 6230i. And if he buys the W800i and I don't like it that much I can always take his 6230i and give him the W800i...
I think W800i is just a great phone, though. It's just that I have never used a sony ericsson
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wis Redz of Silvanost
well here's what I told my father...
I told him to get the N90 if he can find it, if not the W800i. If he can't find neither he'll get the 6230i. And if he buys the W800i and I don't like it that much I can always take his 6230i and give him the W800i...
I think W800i is just a great phone, though. It's just that I have never used a sony ericsson
Those who uses the nokia normally will stick to nokia alone only... I know cos many of my friends uses nokia and when they uses other brand they are like hmmm....... not very nice ... so get the nokia
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 01:51 AM

Go with the Nokia 6230i .

Regards

André

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 04:32 AM

Simple: n6230!

but get yourself a memory upgrade (not from nokia...) so you can acutally put some mp3s on there. I have 512MB in mine (40EUR), that's enough, but you may want to go for 1GB or 2GB.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

well I bought a w800i. We have a nokia 6230i at home so I decided on this one. And from all the reviews I have read this is the best phone on the market... The keyboard is really nice and I have no problem about any specifications of the phone. today I have realized another thing. Nokia is selling their names, they still manifacture some great phones but they are overpriced. I bought this one for neraly 700 USD.(Turkey ) 6230i goes for nearly the same price and this phone is definitely the better.

I found a problem though. When I looked at the calls list I found 3 numbers called before me that I do not know of. And the 512 mb memory stick was installed on the phone and there were some mp3s installed on the card. The thing is that the phone was opened before my eyes... Anyway I called where I got it and told them of the issue and they promised me to change it with a new one tomorrow...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

for those who would like to see it
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 05:10 PM

i have used nokia phones all my life and they are brilliant....one of the best as far as signal reception goes.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

well I have used nokia all my life until now. You see sony ericsson does decent phones with higher technologie and they are cheaper. I'm not talking bad about nokia though. sony is just a little more fun. It has everything I could ask for. 2 mp camera (and this one's camera is plainly the best in the market, I don't give a damn about N90, I have seen pictures taken by that one as well), 512 mb mp3 player, and a decent phone!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 05:34 PM

Reviews: 120

I've heard complaints from a number of Nokia users regarding their newer efforts. I went to a Sony Ericsson K500i and love it. A number of friends just picked up the K750I (pretty much a W800i) and it's fantastic. I say go the Sony Ericsson.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 08:34 PM

I had Nokia's all my life untill i got a sony ericsson. Now I don't want a nokia, they are very good phones and have good quickly adaptable to menus. Go for the better phone, not brand loyalty, as Nokias seem to have gone downhill a bit recently...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 03:09 AM

Reviews: 34

That's interesting.

I have had a motorola e1000 for a while now, and I can't wait to get rid of it and go back to Nokia. Apart from the fact that it keeps hooking up to the internet when you don't want it to, the battery life is worse than my first mobile (which was an analogue nokia, that was the size of a brick). The really annoying thing is the charger (and this is the same on some Sony Ericcson) connector is very temperamental. Sometimes you have to wiggle it, and then put something underneath it to make it work. Bearing in mind that the battery power is sooooo c**p that you have to charge it at least every 48 hours of standby, and everyday if you are making alot of calls, you have to mess around with this problem alot.

My advice is go for something that has a simple charger jack. Sad I know but that is age for you.

Saying that, I got some great pics and vids of my stag night with that phone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode