I'm gone two months and my mother gets mugged - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm gone two months and my mother gets mugged

I just called my mother for my weekly Sunday call since I've moved out and she told me she got mugged on Friday. If I didn't call, I probably never would have found out.

She told me she got mugged waiting for the bus on Friday on 25th AVenue and 86th Street in Brooklyn, by a group of high school aged black kids. My mother is a 4'11 56 year old Italian woman. It was easy pickens for them.

I honestly don't know what to say. They only took like 70 bucks and the rest of the contents of her purse off her. She didn't really want to talk about it, but she says she's alright.

I don't even know what to do. Should I make here file a report at the police station or is it not even worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 06:56 PM

Re: I'm gone two months and my mother gets mugged

I feel your anger. If you file a report they will probally go and talk to her. So you probally should ask her. It is good that she is ok.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 07:13 PM

So sorry to hear mate

It's a pitiful world when groups of people target the vulnerable

I hope she's ok and i would guess file the report so it's on record even if nothing comes out of it.

Best wishes,

Andy
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Sorry to hear.

Report the incident & be thankful she was not hurt worse. It's critical to work towards prevention -- she's an easy target -- which means no more pocketbooks, credit cards only (no cash above singles/change), copies of all her IDs, etc. Sad that's necessary but it is what it is.... glen
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 08:26 PM

I despise those people (not blacks) but those a-holes who target innocent people to make themselves look tough..

Good to hear shes ok.

My grandmother got mugged about 2 years ago, she was 83 at the time, a-hole came from behind her, knocked her down, kicked and punched her for only $5 she had to buy milk, now she has a bad knee.... angers me everytime because those bastards get to roam free...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 PM

The system is too easy on people like this when they get caught.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:30 AM

The muggers are the victim, you know?
Sorry to hear about your Mom.
Glen, one thing you can do is carry around a disposable wad of cash, say a 5 with a few ones in a clip, when the guys grab you, throw it out on the street and run like hell!
Who are the muggers gonna go after, the screaming ball of noise or the tossed money clip?

She's gonna not feel safe for a while, I can assure you of that.
do your best to comfort her, and be glad 70 bucks was all they got.
Best wishes for your Mom.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:41 AM

That's bloody horrible and far too common.

Of course she should report it. She appears to be pretty tough, but what about the next victim?

Being Italian I presume she's Catholic? (Please don't shoot me if this is typecasting) Maybe she should talk to her priest about it too; you never get away from confrontational crime like this without some lingering effects. Couselling of some form is important.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabu2k1 View Post
I despise those people (not blacks) but those a-holes who target innocent people to make themselves look tough..

Good to hear shes ok.

My grandmother got mugged about 2 years ago, she was 83 at the time, a-hole came from behind her, knocked her down, kicked and punched her for only $5 she had to buy milk, now she has a bad knee.... angers me everytime because those bastards get to roam free...
I agree, in my opinion there should be harsher penalties involved for targeting the elderly. After all they have lived a lifetime and deserve some respect.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:14 AM

Sorry to hear and glad she is ok (at least physically). I would prompt her to report it as well.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 AM

Reviews: 18

Sorry to hear about your mom man. Perhaps it's time for her to move to a different area?

Jimmy
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Sorry to hear about your mom man. Perhaps it's time for her to move to a different area?

Jimmy
That's the weird thing. It's a pretty nice area. Mainly asian and italian people on quiet residential blocks. The problem is that there is a high school not too far away with kids bussed in from god knows where.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 AM
site founder 0% owner

Bamm, that $$$ clip idea is a great one. anything to lessen your chances of a confrontation is needed... glen
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 PM

I fail to see why it was even necessary to mention the skin color or nationalities of people involved.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Yeah, I have to agree, color is incidental, it's a socio-economic thing that causes any of us to resort to crime, not a racial thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode