I'm trying to make a 3D JEM... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
I'm trying to make a 3D JEM...

Yes, that's right! After a few years of learning 3DS MAX, I've gotten enough courage to try and model a guitar, top to bottom. And hopefully, this way, also increase my knowledge base about the instrument (i.e. what are the frets made out of, how is it wired, and so forth). However, not ever owning an Ibanez is proving to be a bit of a pain. (and yes, my friends have les pauls, which are utterly useless in my quest for the shiniest JEM).

Why? Why not, it's a good exercise, I work as a designer to fund my guitar escapades, and it's a good way to give something back to the community.

Why should I care? Why not, once again. Once the overall model is done, I could maybe do a few custom paintjobs, some nice shiny pickguards, and of course a guitar with the numa numa guy on it.

What I require for accuracy modelling -- I'm using a reference picture of a JEM 20th (it's clear, and quite high res, but it's a top view). I could benefit enormously if someone were kind enough to take a few side pictures of their JEM (or mind you, even RG) -- toss in a ruler, if you're feeling generous, I like to be as accurate as I can.

Even if nobody has the time to take any pictures, I hope you won't mind if I use this thread to track and post updates on it. I'm going for photorealism.

The picture I'm using. Yes, it's on my photo bukkit, and no, there's nothing interesting to see there anyway, so it's not advertising. I'd post other 3D works, but they're highly irrelevant I guess. I might toss in some funky abstract things if anyone's interested. If not, just ignore me whilst I'm talking to myself. :P

Edit: just occured to me I have the "Believe" album logo; I'm a fan of Disturbed. I guess some of you guys might like them too.

Last edited by DanteGuitar; 06-20-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 09:28 PM

Re: I'm trying to make a 3D JEM...

http://static.keebali.com/jemsite.co..._blueprint.jpg The very best I can do, since I do not own a Jem or RG. Post pics of the numa numa with done. Better yet, do it FIRST!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:07 PM

Reviews: 4

I will try and get some pics of some RGs up for you at various angles along with the side pics you want. Nice 3d logo too I saved that it was so cool.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
http://static.keebali.com/jemsite.co..._blueprint.jpg The very best I can do, since I do not own a Jem or RG. Post pics of the numa numa with done. Better yet, do it FIRST!
Wow, thanks dude! I actually didn't consider looking for a blueprint... I figured there aren't any around. Why would my job be made easier by crazy things such as blueprints. Actually, I'm going to do it first, just for the laughs. After I do the overall model, doing pearloid vs. Numa numa or whatever is simply a matter of changing textures. The model's going to be tricky. Especially the strings. But I'm excited about it, so expect... awesomeness?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydogga View Post
I will try and get some pics of some RGs up for you at various angles along with the side pics you want. Nice 3d logo too I saved that it was so cool.
Thanks a bunch! I'm going to do a few color versions of the logo, in case anyone's interested, so they match up with various desktop themes. Feel free to request a specific color. Least I can do since you're volunteering to take pics.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:49 PM

This might help:

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/.../IBANEZ RG.DXF
(right click---save as)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneLord View Post
This might help:

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/.../IBANEZ RG.DXF
(right click---save as)
That's awesome! It's basically THE template for the body! Thanks, man!

Work smart, not hard, I always say.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 AM

Reviews: 4

Imported it to CorelDraw...
It's not correct, is it? :s

At least, I compared it with the blueprint scan on JemSite and it was WAY off course!

EDIT:
The blueprint is not to scale.
I did some CorelDraw files... for both front and back routed RGs. Anyone want them?

Last edited by Crazy_Guitar; 10-14-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Tags
3ds max , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode