I'm walking to raise money for the mentally ill - Help? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I'm walking to raise money for the mentally ill - Help?

Hi Guys -

5 years ago my 21 year old nephew ended his life with a self inflicted gunshot wound after a very short battle with mental illness. If you've ever seen the movie "A Beautiful Mind" with Russell Crow, that's similar to the life my nephew lived for 2 years, until he handled the situation in the best way he thought he could.

During and after his struggle, NAMI (National Association of the Mentally Ill) was there to support and educate my family and help my nephew. They are an extremely important organization for those effected with this illness.

Each year since my nephew's death, my family and I participate in a 3 mile fundraising walk for NAMI and I am doing my annual walk again this Sunday.

If you would like to make a donation, my family, myself and NAMI would be very appreciative. Here's a link to my personal walker donation page, you can securely make a donation by credit card if you feel you'd like to help.

http://www.nami.org/walkTemplate.cfm...walkerID=81555

Thanks for reading!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:24 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: I'm walking to raise money for the mentally ill - Help?

Matt, thanks for sharing your story & what looks like a great cause to donate.

Can you fix the link at nami.org it is not correct.... glen
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 10:21 PM

I will definetly make a donation.

Having dealt with the depression and suicide of my own nephew, I can understand the pain that your family went thru.

Thanks for doing a worthwhile thing for others. And thanks for helping to draw attention to depression. It is a horrible disease.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 02:13 AM

Kudos to you, Matt!
I work in a home and school for teens and pre-teens who all have various mental and emotional handicaps (usually caused by Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) with at risk behaviors. I've seen the bad side of Bipolar Disorder, Radical Attachment Disorder, Psychotic episodes, and a range of other Mood Disorders, as well as mental retardation and autism.
You are doing good work. Unfortunately, being a direct care staff doesn't pay very well at all, so I won't be able to donate at this time. However, I like to think that all the punches, kicks, spit, and objects thrown that I have endured to try to help my kids is my own little donation.
I can't encourage enough those of you that can afford it to donate to charities such as this, as many places that work to treat mental illness are non-profit organizations and need all the help they can get.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 AM

I'm a little late to chime in on this one but I think it's a very important issue. I'm glad to see awareness of mental illness finally reach the areas that aren't necessarily related.

Still even years after drug companies started the advertising blitz there is a lot of misconception about these illnesses. As one who suffers recurring episodes of depression intermittently I would urge you to educate yourself on these issues much as you would cancer or any other devastating illness, chances are you're going to come across someone in your life who is effected and you might be glad that you did.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode