Incident on the highway today - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Incident on the highway today

I was driving next to 355 toll in Schaumburg when I saw a truck ablaze, today at 3pm. It was quite the inferno...insane flames engulfing the truck from all areas. I was only 10 minutes from home but decided to get the camera and rush back. I grabbed the 30D, 400mm, and got right back there, parking a few blocks away and footing it to the side of the road, looking up to the highway...to take shots. I was quite a ways away but the lens did a great job. By the time I got there the inferno was out but I did manage to capture these shots from afar. I emailed them to the local papers, hoping they can use them for something if there was a story, and in hopes MAYBE I could get a job as photographer...maybe....i'm tired of IT. I don't know anything about the situation...but hopefully no one was hurt.

Steve

Here are a few photos out of the 50 or so i took:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 09:55 PM

Unhappy Re: Incident on the highway today

so let me see, you saw a truck on fire, decided to drive 10 minutes, home and am guessing 10 minutes back to get a camera to take pictures, you email them to the local paper, then you decide to worry weather any one was hurt or not. What humanity. But sorry, great pictures
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 11:45 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Incident on the highway today

It's not like he had fire gear on so that he could rescue anyone, plus if I'm not mistaken, your ankle is still not 100%?

I actually have a number of accident pics I've taken over the years and some have been used by local papers. We had a biplane crash-land upside down and my pics were used...The guy was ok, I got there after he'd gone to the hospital.
I carried my camera around for a long time, just because I could nab shots like the one above.
Lemme find the one that no one was supposed to see locally

Click THIS

Last edited by bammbamm; 05-09-2007 at 12:00 AM.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 12:23 AM

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 12:24 AM

I love a good crash this happened outside my house at 2 in the morning. I set up the tripod and shot it. The drunk basssard.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:21 AM

My dad and brother used to always have to stop and watch every fire we came across. My father was fascinated by fires since he was a young boy.
True story, my dad showed up at so many fires that he started to become suspect as an arsene in our home town, when he was a kid.

What is it with guys and disasters anyways. Sideline, I have a friend that does insurance investigation, and he has been going to Greensburg, KS the past few days after the tornado struck. He said that people were really pissed because they could get through, but the locals are limited access to their homes.

Great pics by the way.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonetool View Post
I love a good crash this happened outside my house at 2 in the morning. I set up the tripod and shot it. The drunk basssard.
It wasn't your car was it? Heeheehee
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonetool View Post
I love a good crash.
You insensitive bastard. Has it not occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, people on this site have lost friends and family members in 'a good crash'? What the hell makes it 'good'? How dangerous and hence likely to kill someone it is??

I would appreciate it if mods could delete that post and this one.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:49 AM

I wish I'd taken a pic of my car after I totalled it. Just for a reminder to chill out a bit when I'm driving. Road rage is not a good thing!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
You insensitive bastard. Has it not occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, people on this site have lost friends and family members in 'a good crash'? What the hell makes it 'good'? How dangerous and hence likely to kill someone it is??

I would appreciate it if mods could delete that post and this one.
Sounds like maybe you have lost a loved one this way? Sorry for your lose if this is the case.

I feel really bad for the people of Greensburg, KS. I got to talking to my insurance friend, and he didn't understand the pride and people wanting to rebuild their city. He is single and travels a lot. He couldn't believe that people wanted to stay in their city. I told him, that sometimes a house is more than just a house. There are memories attached, and people don't want to leave their loved ones behind.

I myself, am fascinated with tornadoes, but I always remember the heartache and tragedy that results from this beauty of nature.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_chick View Post
My dad and brother used to always have to stop and watch every fire we came across. My father was fascinated by fires since he was a young boy.
True story, my dad showed up at so many fires that he started to become suspect as an arsene in our home town, when he was a kid.

What is it with guys and disasters anyways. Sideline, I have a friend that does insurance investigation, and he has been going to Greensburg, KS the past few days after the tornado struck. He said that people were really pissed because they could get through, but the locals are limited access to their homes.

Great pics by the way.
Great story. Is your Dad and Brother still into going to fires? I had a friend who's father owned a police scanner and basically did the same thing. He wanted to be a volunteer firefighter, but do to some disability he couldn't. I guess for him it was the next best thing.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:43 AM

Reviews: 1

I have to say that the one thing I DON'T like about a "good crash" is the gawk aspect. People around here act like they've never seen an ambulance before and that mounts traffic times to ridiculous proportions. We need to have a curtain system set up here. Accident sites should be blocked from view by a large curtain so people go on and mind their own business.

And BTW, there is no such thing as a good crash, but I know what clone means. I've been in a nasty wreck and I'll still look at footage of a wreck, it's human nature.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:53 AM

Totally agree. It's the one thing that pisses me off most about driving on a motorway. I hate it when people going in the opposite direction slowing down to see what's happened. It causes traffic jams and more accidents because drivers are breaking unneccessarily and are not paying attention to where they are going!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:00 AM

Nothing is good about a crash...at all.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
Great story. Is your Dad and Brother still into going to fires? I had a friend who's father owned a police scanner and basically did the same thing. He wanted to be a volunteer firefighter, but do to some disability he couldn't. I guess for him it was the next best thing.
Yes, every chance they get! My brother was also looked at suspect once. He got so close to one that he was in the paper snuck into the picture in the corner.

It is actually pretty embarrassing; I've had to sit in the car and wait before while my dad checked a fire out.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode