Income levels of Satch Vai etc - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Income levels of Satch Vai etc

I think the average person makes about 40k to 60k doing average jobs. I'm guessing top level instrumental guys selling 500,000 or so CD's and touring aren't making top 10 rock band money. If I had to guess, I'd say Petrucci is on the top of the pile with so many Dream Theater songs writtin by him and his seemingly endless touring. Satch and Vai write sell and tour, but I'd bet DT sells a lot more. And then they all have endorssements.

Here's my guess;
JP 500k
JS and Vai 250k

what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:37 PM

Re: Income levels of Satch Vai etc

Don't forget royalties for anytime their songs are played on the air.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:42 PM

I think it is none of my business what someone else makes as I go off to buy Satriani's Live in SF DVD.
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:44 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Income levels of Satch Vai etc

Sounds a little out of proportion but maybe! musicians have always been on the bottom of the food chain! ,however, Vai was wise enough to create his own lable favored nations which also has the premise of being more generous towards the artist, at least more than your typical record label
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:56 PM

and vai has a movie coming up
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:40 PM

If you consider the numerous endorsements these players have, those numbers are way low!
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
I think it is none of my business what someone else makes as I go off to buy Satriani's Live in SF DVD.
Yeah, I think threads like this are a little tacky, but admit I wonder sometimes. I respect them both, and just hope that they are very comfortable.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:57 PM

I wouldnt say this is a tacky question, anyone interested in playing music professionally should be curious to what the people in the same field make. Im sure Vai and Satch are well over $250K in their endorsements alone. They have alot of different revenue comming in. Movie scores, commercials, tab books, special ticket prices where they charge fans $200 to meet them, etc, etc.
They get a cut of every Jem, JS, Legacy, JSX, and every other company that endorses them.

Last edited by elcid; 12-08-2007 at 04:05 PM.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:06 PM

Don't forget that the G3 tour is Satch's baby. I am sure he does well from it.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postofficebuddy View Post
and vai has a movie coming up
Vai has a movie?

Ok, so I was showing off the new DNA to my office comrades (I own a production company), and we came up with our own Steve Vai movie (jokingly, mind you). Here's the pitch:

Steve Vai dies, and all the red in the DNA's across the world turn to black. But there is hope, after discussion on the jemsite forums, we find out that there are 2 Jems that have not turned to black #177 & #277, and upon removing the back plate of these two guitars, we find an inscription that says that in the event of Steve Vai's passing, we are to bring together all three guitars ending in #77, on the 77th day after his passing, and he will resurrect. So we know who has two of them, but we have to go on a worldwide search for #077. Amazing adventures happen along the way and in the end the three guitars meet and Vai is brought back to life, and all the red in the DNA's comes back, and the DNA strands on the neck all start to move. Ok, we were drunk, but still, I would pay to see it .
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem20thlover View Post
Vai has a movie?

Ok, so I was showing off the new DNA to my office comrades (I own a production company), and we came up with our own Steve Vai movie (jokingly, mind you). Here's the pitch:

Steve Vai dies, and all the red in the DNA's across the world turn to black. But there is hope, after discussion on the jemsite forums, we find out that there are 2 Jems that have not turned to black #177 & #277, and upon removing the back plate of these two guitars, we find an inscription that says that in the event of Steve Vai's passing, we are to bring together all three guitars ending in #77, on the 77th day after his passing, and he will resurrect. So we know who has two of them, but we have to go on a worldwide search for #077. Amazing adventures happen along the way and in the end the three guitars meet and Vai is brought back to life, and all the red in the DNA's comes back, and the DNA strands on the neck all start to move. Ok, we were drunk, but still, I would pay to see it .
http://imdb.com/name/nm0005518/

Crazy (2007/I) (executive producer)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0443474/

Steve Vai ... Hank Williams

there
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:31 PM

I like my movie better
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:32 PM

well get on it, post it when you've done.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem20thlover View Post
I like my movie better
Your movie has potential!
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Try not to get too personal in this thread folks. This topic comes up every once in a while and usuall ends witha locked topic and a suspension or two for unruly members.

Tags
guitar mag , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode