Inexpensive laptop with HDMI 2.0 output - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
dex

Inexpensive laptop with HDMI 2.0 output

Pretty much what the title says.

Not going to be used for gaming at all, I just want to be able to plug my laptop into a 4K TV for youtube and some UK TV catch up services (BBC iPlayer/ ITV Hub, etc) as my VPN works through my laptop and I want to be able to watch stuff on the TV.

I have recently found out that even though pretty much all new i3/i5/i7 Intel integrated graphics support 4K 60Hz output most laptops only have HDMI 1.4 which means they are limited to 4K at 30Hz.
On top of the integrated graphics being able to (theoretically) output 4K at 60Hz, most of these laptops actually have switchable graphics with a second dedicated graphics card but again with HDMI 1.4 chip on the motherboard none of that matters.

So, I know some VPNs are configurable to work with TVs, I know some laptops support Thunderbolt 4K at 60Hz but I'm not looking for a workaround, I want to just buy a new laptop with a HDMI 2.0 output and be done with it.

One requirement is I really don't want a gaming laptop as they are chunky, I rather get a regular looking laptop otherwise the Dell 7577 seems like a great deal.

So those of you who are in the know or know what to look for, is there such a laptop? Something like the Dell 7577 (i7, 16GB, for $1299) but in a smaller package.
Inspiron 15 Inch 7577 Gaming Laptop | Dell United States

Last edited by dex; 01-23-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 03:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Inexpensive laptop with HDMI 2.0 output

this is a big ask but define inexpensive. Does your TV accept display port? that would solve the problem at a much lower cost cause you'd need not only HDMI 2.0 but HDCP 2.2+ on both ends which eliminates a lot of devices.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 04:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

^ that said depending on the copy protection an active adapter like this will work with a decent surface pro
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PJ3LSIG

I know you want an HDMI2.0 laptop but these are uncommon (here) where 4k monitors are popular for gaming & Netflix mass-market. The gaming laptop like you posted i the HDMI route (sold for gamers travelling or connecting to 4K tvs not multiple monitors)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
dex

My budget is up to $1500 and there are many decent laptops at that price point (latest i7 with up to 32GB RAM) but none of them have HDMI 2.0.
I don't need a travel laptop or anything, just don't really want a chunky laptop but will get the Dell 7577 as I've not been able to find anything comparable.
Surface Pro is too little and the Surface Book is out of my price range.

The TV I am currently using is a Samsung, 55" MU6400 (MU6472 in my region - no displayport) and I've not had any issues with youtube 4K or BBC iPlayer 4K but at 30Hz as my laptop only has HDMI 1.4. To be fair the only thing so far that was worth the bandwidth was Blue Planet II.*

It didn't even cross my mind that HDCP could be a problem, do you really think this could be an issue? There are literally hundreds of people on youtube using 4K TVs as monitors and none of them seem to be having an issue with HDCP. I guess I'll have to look into this some more.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 06:08 PM
site founder 0% owner

Does your region have Surface Book with GPU... they're blowing them out here from Microsoft Stores (local and online) and they are awesome (typing from one). The problem is that laptops for business are designed for multi monitor, consumer for 1080p and gamer for 4k no real "one size fits all" solution yet.

HDCP varies by region & is set via software when encoding the software/video content. It would be something to reveiw in your region if you're using pre-purchased movies delivered via Bluray, Netflix as well as Amazon Prime Video, xboxOne, cable boxes, etc.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/6662

Try to figure out your primary video source(s) and work backwards if it's not compliant with latest HDCP it would typically still work just downres to 1080i or more likely 1080p (letting the TV then upscale it to 4k). Frikin copy protection is annoying only deters the honest people!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
dex

Actually the Surface laptop and the Surface Book 2 (the least expensive option) are both under $1500 so will definitely look into that. That's why I posted this here, I've been looking for a new laptop for 2 months now and no one else even mentioned the MS Surface to me.
There are a few slim gaming laptops but as I don't intend on ever playing games on the laptop or travel with it I really don't want to spend too much.
This Gigabyte Aero for instance is a great deal but it's $500 more than the 7577 with only slightly better spec.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834233205

Prices here are around 30% higher than the US but a few of my colleagues travel to NYC every month so I've already spoken to two people who will gladly bring me a laptop back as soon as I just pick one.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 07:23 PM
site founder 0% owner

Surface Certified Refurb (full warranty). Book with GPU are half price.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...s-122917-en-us

Tags
60hz , hdmi 2.0 , thunderbolt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode