Inflation Calculator - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,398
Inflation Calculator

Check it out to find out just how much your LNG, PMC, etc has gained in value over however many years by taking your original price, seeing how much that amount of money is worth today, and then comparing it with the current market value of your guitar.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Last edited by dannymills; 11-24-2007 at 07:30 PM.
dannymills is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,517
Re: Inflation Calculator

I'm not sure where you get your numbers from.

"What cost $1500 in 1987 would cost $2658.57 in 2006."

Which is well under last years price of a new condition LNG.
Rich is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,398
Re: Inflation Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm not sure where you get your numbers from.

"What cost $1500 in 1987 would cost $2658.57 in 2006."

Which is well under last years price of a new condition LNG.
Is it?! My mistake. What's the going rate for a mint LNG? Not the Ibanezrules price, though. The actual market value.
dannymills is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,517
Re: Inflation Calculator

Is there any difference?

$4000 would have been going rate last year for a true new condition guitar with HUSA package.
Rich is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:46 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 883
Re: Inflation Calculator

That's just average inflation- it doesn't figure in appreciation in collector's value or especially manufacturers simply jacking up prices to improve their bottom line.
Demiurge is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,398
Re: Inflation Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
That's just average inflation- it doesn't figure in appreciation in collector's value or especially manufacturers simply jacking up prices to improve their bottom line.
What? The point of the inflation calculator is to show you how much your money in 1987 is worth today. Obviously not how much your guitar is worth
dannymills is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,398
Re: Inflation Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Is there any difference?

$4000 would have been going rate last year for a true new condition guitar with HUSA package.
So $1400 profit in twenty years? That's terrible. Appalling rate. Definitely not worth twenty years of not playing a guitar for.
dannymills is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:39 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 60
Re: Inflation Calculator

What an ignorant post. You were wetting yourself when these guitars first came out. We didnt know the impact this model had when they came out. The amount of people who sat on unplayed Jems is very slim. Once in a while a pristine example comes up thus $4000 for a LNG is reasonable. Collectability and inflation are two different things. Here's a tip never buy a car.
Stevesblood is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:56 PM
 
Davey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 4,800
Re: Inflation Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesblood View Post
What an ignorant post. You were wetting yourself when these guitars first came out. We didnt know the impact this model had when they came out. The amount of people who sat on unplayed Jems is very slim. Once in a while a pristine example comes up thus $4000 for a LNG is reasonable. Collectability and inflation are two different things. Here's a tip never buy a car.
He wasn't a alive when they came out, lol.
Davey is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:28 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: london,uk
Posts: 6,512
Re: Inflation Calculator

Incontinence is not something to make fun of!
andy7jem is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:32 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 60
Re: Inflation Calculator

Generation P
Stevesblood is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:33 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 883
Re: Inflation Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
What? The point of the inflation calculator is to show you how much your money in 1987 is worth today. Obviously not how much your guitar is worth
Um, you're the one who started the thread with this, "Check it out to find out just how much your LNG, PMC, etc has gained in value over however many years." I took that to mean that you were asserting that there was a relationship between the value of the guitar and the inflation-adjusted original sale price.

"Future value of a single sum" calculators are fun- didn't mean to take the piss out of posting one.
Demiurge is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,398
Re: Inflation Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesblood View Post
What an ignorant post. You were wetting yourself when these guitars first came out. We didnt know the impact this model had when they came out. The amount of people who sat on unplayed Jems is very slim. Once in a while a pristine example comes up thus $4000 for a LNG is reasonable. Collectability and inflation are two different things. Here's a tip never buy a car.
Erm, dude, I think you're missing the entore point of this. I'm not saying that they aren't worth $4000, as is very obvious if you give my posts a quick re-read.

What I am saying is that for PURELY INVESTMENT PURPOSES, the LNG is a terrible purchase. In another thread, people discussed NEVER playing the guitar as it was an investment. All I'm saying, and proving, is that they are a bad pure investment.
dannymills is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,398
Re: Inflation Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
Um, you're the one who started the thread with this, "Check it out to find out just how much your LNG, PMC, etc has gained in value over however many years." I took that to mean that you were asserting that there was a relationship between the value of the guitar and the inflation-adjusted original sale price.

"Future value of a single sum" calculators are fun- didn't mean to take the piss out of posting one.
Point, bad phrasing, sorry! I meant 'how much it would cost today'.

You then take the value, say $2800 for an LNG, and see how much you could get for it. I.e. $4000. Your guitar has therefore gained $1200.
dannymills is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:48 PM
site founder 0% owner
 
jemsite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 11,475
Reviews: 1
Re: Inflation Calculator

closed before more suspensions
jemsite is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome