Inflation Calculator - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Inflation Calculator

Check it out to find out just how much your LNG, PMC, etc has gained in value over however many years by taking your original price, seeing how much that amount of money is worth today, and then comparing it with the current market value of your guitar.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Last edited by dannymills; 11-24-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Vendor

Re: Inflation Calculator

I'm not sure where you get your numbers from.

"What cost $1500 in 1987 would cost $2658.57 in 2006."

Which is well under last years price of a new condition LNG.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm not sure where you get your numbers from.

"What cost $1500 in 1987 would cost $2658.57 in 2006."

Which is well under last years price of a new condition LNG.
Is it?! My mistake. What's the going rate for a mint LNG? Not the Ibanezrules price, though. The actual market value.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Vendor

Is there any difference?

$4000 would have been going rate last year for a true new condition guitar with HUSA package.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:46 PM

That's just average inflation- it doesn't figure in appreciation in collector's value or especially manufacturers simply jacking up prices to improve their bottom line.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
That's just average inflation- it doesn't figure in appreciation in collector's value or especially manufacturers simply jacking up prices to improve their bottom line.
What? The point of the inflation calculator is to show you how much your money in 1987 is worth today. Obviously not how much your guitar is worth
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Is there any difference?

$4000 would have been going rate last year for a true new condition guitar with HUSA package.
So $1400 profit in twenty years? That's terrible. Appalling rate. Definitely not worth twenty years of not playing a guitar for.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:39 PM

What an ignorant post. You were wetting yourself when these guitars first came out. We didnt know the impact this model had when they came out. The amount of people who sat on unplayed Jems is very slim. Once in a while a pristine example comes up thus $4000 for a LNG is reasonable. Collectability and inflation are two different things. Here's a tip never buy a car.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesblood View Post
What an ignorant post. You were wetting yourself when these guitars first came out. We didnt know the impact this model had when they came out. The amount of people who sat on unplayed Jems is very slim. Once in a while a pristine example comes up thus $4000 for a LNG is reasonable. Collectability and inflation are two different things. Here's a tip never buy a car.
He wasn't a alive when they came out, lol.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:28 PM

Incontinence is not something to make fun of!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:32 PM

Generation P
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
What? The point of the inflation calculator is to show you how much your money in 1987 is worth today. Obviously not how much your guitar is worth
Um, you're the one who started the thread with this, "Check it out to find out just how much your LNG, PMC, etc has gained in value over however many years." I took that to mean that you were asserting that there was a relationship between the value of the guitar and the inflation-adjusted original sale price.

"Future value of a single sum" calculators are fun- didn't mean to take the piss out of posting one.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesblood View Post
Erm, dude, I think you're missing the entore point of this. I'm not saying that they aren't worth $4000, as is very obvious if you give my posts a quick re-read.

What I am saying is that for PURELY INVESTMENT PURPOSES, the LNG is a terrible purchase. In another thread, people discussed NEVER playing the guitar as it was an investment. All I'm saying, and proving, is that they are a bad pure investment.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
Um, you're the one who started the thread with this, "Check it out to find out just how much your LNG, PMC, etc has gained in value over however many years." I took that to mean that you were asserting that there was a relationship between the value of the guitar and the inflation-adjusted original sale price.

"Future value of a single sum" calculators are fun- didn't mean to take the piss out of posting one.
Point, bad phrasing, sorry! I meant 'how much it would cost today'.

You then take the value, say $2800 for an LNG, and see how much you could get for it. I.e. $4000. Your guitar has therefore gained $1200.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

closed before more suspensions
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode