Intel processors - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Intel processors

Hi guys,

Decided I should build (or buy) a new pc, to get up to scratch for my ipod and Motu interface, which I currently have to use with my P4 laptop.

I've decided on Intel, always had a better life with them, but I'm confused at what to get and what is what, because now, it's no longer Pentium 4 3.2Ghz for example. It's changed to D and core duo etc, what is all this? What does it mean? Why are alot of the processors now only 2.2Ghz.

What is the equivalent is say, my laptop has a Pentium 4 3.06Ghz HT processor, what should I be looking at now?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Dee

Re: Intel processors

The Core Duo processors have dual core's -- it's like having 2 processors on one die. This is better for multi-tasking. Unfortunately, like most people, maybe you were taken in by the "GHz is everything" myth? This is also why you think you've "had a better life with Intel". Have you ever built an AMD system? AMD exploded the GHz myth long ago with the Athlon line of processors, and then since 2004, the Athlon 64 processors. GHz isn't everything by any means, that's just something Intel would have liked you to believe before they changed their strategy and started labeling their processors in a way that wasn't based on clock speed alone (they took a leaf out of AMD's book, basically). With AMD, a "slower" chip may seem less desirable to the average person, but AMD chips can perform more instructions per second -- the clock speed doesn't actually mean much, that's why my 2.0GHz Athlon 64 blows away a Pentium 4 3.2GHz (and higher) without any trouble at all.

If you're building a new PC, what you should be looking at is the fastest chip you can afford. Intel finally got out of the dark ages recently after being slaughtered (price and performance-wise) for the last few years by AMD. Intel's newer chips (made after the Pentium 4) have been great, so you can go ahead and safely buy anything produced recently and it will perform much better than any P4. I'd look at the E6600 and processors around that price (if I was looking for an Intel chip). You can get one for just over £200 in the UK. If that's too expensive, have a look at the E6400 at around £185, though I think the E6600 is worth it for the extra 30 quid or so. Below that, the E6300 is pretty good. Get the best you can afford.

Shame you've ruled out AMD, I must say. Due to their price drops recently there's some serious bargains to be had, you can build a wickedly fast AMD system for not much money. But despite my leanings towards AMD, the Intel Core Due is a better choice for now. Once AMD release their K8L line of processors, AMD will be back on track. They do have some very nice dual cores out nowadays, though.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 01:11 PM

Talking Re: Intel processors

Hi,

I've upgraded all my servers and workstations to D845 processors 4 months ago.

I'm very satisfied with them. Workstations have 2GB RAM, and servers 8GB. Al systems have RAID0 SATA on-board. They work like a charm!

I'd recommend them to anybody!

regards,

JP
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Well I've been looking at the core duos, the 6600, I'd pay that for a processor.

I've used AMD, just not happy with it, didn't seem as solid as an Intel with an Intel chipset.

For Intel, is the Intel® 975X Express Chipset the best chipset to get at the moment?

What I'm I looking at with graphics cards? What's the current trend? Been so long since I got a new pc that I'm out of touch with the best architecture and trends to go for.

Cheers
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:46 PM

ive always bought AMD but I bought a duo core thingy last month and its brilliant, like someone has already said, its really good a multitasking !
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:50 PM

Definitely a 6600. I just bought one.

Unless you desire or need to run dual graphics cards, the P965 is the chipset to go with. The 975X is primarily for supporting dual PCI-express 16 slot motherboards.

For graphics it depends on your budget and if you are going to do hardcore games or not on how high-end a card you will need.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:54 PM

I hate intel as mich as Microsft...

I had a G5 Imac 2.1 ghz and never complaines...now I got the newer model with a 2.16 ghz dual core intel core duo and the darn thing is way too slow, sometimes the clock comes one for like 8 t 10 secs......

I WANT MY G5 BACK!!!!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
Well I've been looking at the core duos, the 6600, I'd pay that for a processor.

I've used AMD, just not happy with it, didn't seem as solid as an Intel with an Intel chipset.

For Intel, is the Intel® 975X Express Chipset the best chipset to get at the moment?

What I'm I looking at with graphics cards? What's the current trend? Been so long since I got a new pc that I'm out of touch with the best architecture and trends to go for.

Cheers
PCIx16 is the latest standard. AGP is history.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Dee

For graphics cards, again, it depends on your budget. I like nVidia these days, and the reason why I don't like ATI is because to use the Control Panel that comes with ATI drivers, you need to have .NET Framework installed. I don't want excess clutter on my system, I don't need .NET, so that's a good enough reason why I choose nVidia nowadays. This doesn't mean that if you want to buy an ATI card you should be put off by that -- you might not care if you have to have .NET Framework installed to use the Control Panel.

Are you a gamer? Do you wish to play recently released games? If so, then nVidia's range from the 6800 models upwards is possibly what you should be looking at. The 6800 is actually pretty old now but it does OK in games, just nothing spectacular. It's the bottom end of what you should be looking at. A better option would be the 7x00 range. The 7600 is decent, will play current games, and is not priced crazy high like the newest (8800). If you can afford the best, go for it, otherwise check out the 7600 or something. Above that, you have the 7900. Good card.

ATI also makes some great cards, but to be honest when you reach the high-spec models it doesn't really matter what you choose (unless you're obsessed with benchmark scores), you're getting a top-notch card from either manufacturer. ATI X1950 Pro is quite a bargain these days. VERY good card too.

Regarding the chipset, I'm not exactly sure of the model number. Sorry. I'm an AMD man. Gu1tar is probably right -- go with the 965 chipset.

Last edited by Dee; 12-28-2006 at 03:09 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
Definitely a 6600. I just bought one.

Unless you desire or need to run dual graphics cards, the P965 is the chipset to go with. The 975X is primarily for supporting dual PCI-express 16 slot motherboards.

For graphics it depends on your budget and if you are going to do hardcore games or not on how high-end a card you will need.
I may use dual graphics for Cubase.

Thanks too Dee, some good info there.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

best bang for the buck is the AMD X2 dual cores. even the 3800+ is very overclockable and 64-bit for Vista... also priced right ie. $400-450-ish Dell e521 for example with bargain shopping with a good mobo and fast ram. the comparable intel "core duo" are much more expensive with no tangible performance increase for what the average person will do. absurd performace for the dollar.

that said the intel core duo (not pentium D) is a great chip just overpriced imho. All things equal given a fixed amount you want to spend you're better off buying a faster drive or better video card with the $$$... glen
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
that said the intel core duo (not pentium D) is a great chip just overpriced imho. All things equal given a fixed amount you want to spend you're better off buying a faster drive or better video card with the $$$... glen
Core duo overpriced? Intel overpriced? What Intel product isn't overpriced? If it wasn't for AMD, imagine what the Intel prices would be like. Incidentally the Core duos are supposedly dropping in price first of the year.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
I may use dual graphics for Cubase.

Thanks too Dee, some good info there.
I'm not familiar with Cubase and whether it is necessary or useful for dual graphics cards for it. And you're probably better off buying a single 8800 video card than two cheaper lower end cards as a single 8800 usually outperforms dual smaller cards. Also keep in mind that for these new higher end cards that if you run two of them, you will need a high power power supply as well.

Dee pretty much summed up the video cards for you. I bought the X1950 Pro card for my new system.

You can find some good test results info on:

www.tomshardware.com
www.anandtech.com
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

The dual cards would allow me to run two monitors for less horizontal scrolling. And if I went for two cards, doesn't mean I'd get two cheaper ones rather than one good one.

Say if the X1950 Pro is the card to get, then I'd get two X1950 Pro's if I use dual monitors
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 09:09 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

two monitors over extended desktop with one video card makes the most sense... glen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

digitech legend how does it sound compared to processors of 2009

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode